Sponsored

Did Rivian’s generous 5/60k factory warranty influence your purchase decision?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Rivian’s come with a very generous bumper-to-bumper and battery pack warranty. If you purchase an R1T this month you are covered by the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty until 8/2027.

Did it influence your purchase decision over other vehicles?

My hunch is that Rivian will shorten the warranty over time once it becomes an established player in the market.

The New Vehicle Limited Warranties include:

• Comprehensive: The cost of all parts and labor necessary for any defective materials are covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Battery Pack: Coverage includes all components inside the high-voltage battery and 70% or more of the battery capacity for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Drivetrain: Coverage includes the drivetrain and components for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Corrosion (perforation): Body panels that are perforated by corrosion will be covered for 8 years
A full list of warranty exceptions, exclusions and limitations is located in the our Warranty Guide.

Rivian R1T R1S Did Rivian’s generous 5/60k factory warranty influence your purchase decision? FB10D4F5-3994-465F-81FE-55A9244D2BA9
Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Yes
But of more concern: will the truck become a paperweight after they go bankrupt and are unable to continuing carrying the company. Hopefully they sell to Apple or Amazon so it’ll continue to prosper.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Yes
But of more concern: will the truck become a paperweight after they go bankrupt and are unable to continuing carrying the company. Hopefully they sell to Apple or Amazon so it’ll continue to prosper.
"after they go bankrupt"? They've got years of cash on hand to operate if they don't make another penny. Pretty extreme to state at this point that they're for sure going to go bankrupt.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It put my mind at ease, a little. Although I'm getting nervous, again, as they seem unable to handle the service load of their deliveries, thus far, and their plans to ramp production are obvious but their plans to ramp service are not.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

100% the warranty is what has me willing to buy from a company that has never made a vehicle before. And I don't know that I'd agree that they will decrease the 5yr / 60k mile warranty. They either stand by their product or they don't. When a Kia offers 5yr / 60k miles bumper to bumper for the first owner and 10 yr / 100k miles on the powertrain, why should we expect a luxury brand like Rivian to offer less?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
100% the warranty is what has me willing to buy from a company that has never made a vehicle before. And I don't know that I'd agree that they will decrease the 5yr / 60k mile warranty. They either stand by their product or they don't. When a Kia offers 5yr / 60k miles bumper to bumper for the first owner and 10 yr / 100k miles on the powertrain, why should we expect a luxury brand like Rivian to offer less?
Lexus, Mercedes, Acura, BMW, Audi... All only 4 year warranty. "Luxury" has nothing to do with it.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yes, and I expect it'll go away once the brand is known.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I'd have to say it was definitely a factor. Let's face it, this is a *complicated* vehicle from a new company that has an explicitly stated intention to not sell parts or make self service an easy or doable thing. I would not want to deal with having this in a Rivian shop at $250/hr for any length of time.

There's a reason old Range Rovers and S classes can be had for cheap - they're ridiculous to deal with outside the warranty period. Frankly I hope there's a federal ruling on right to repair coming sometime soon because this has huge implications for sustainability.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
It put my mind at ease, a little. Although I'm getting nervous, again, as they seem unable to handle the service load of their deliveries, thus far, and their plans to ramp production are obvious but their plans to ramp service are not.
Agreed!

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
If you're not going to put over 60k miles before 2027, it's an odd vehicle to buy IMO.

It's a good warranty but deciding on a car like this because of a warranty is bizarre.

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
If you're not going to put over 60k miles before 2027, it's an odd vehicle to buy IMO.

It's a good warranty but deciding on a car like this because of a warranty is bizarre.
Yup, I'll blow through the mileage by the end of year 2.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Wasn't part of my decision but 60k miles will only last me a little over two years. No extended warranty is a bummer. Hope in 2 years from now it will be easy to get parts. Would have liked at least 75k miles since I've seen cheaper car brands offer a 60k warranty for a long time now.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

As stated the lack of extended warranty on a vehicle from a brand new company is a bit scary. Especially with all the issues being reported.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Yes
I have the same concern. Then I realized, if Lordstown and Fisker still exist. Rivian will be fine..
Sponsored