Sponsored

Details on what each driving modes actually do?

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Has anyone come across a detailed overview of what the different driving modes actually do? This question has a bit more to it than it may appear at first glance. I've heard in various reviews/posts from conversations with Rivian folks that in certain modes power is restricted to X% for example (not just conserve BTW). Also heard that accelerator feel is changed in A vs B etc. I've seen some articles that talk about these modes in terms of torque bias, suspension stiffness, stability control etc. Example here... Drive Modes Explained

What I haven't seen is an article that puts all of this together in one place by drive mode. Has anyone seen something like this or is knowledgeable enough to put one together? Looking for details here vs. the high level overview.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'm not sure how specific you are looking to get, but the video they released awhile back does explain what changes are made in each drive mode. Not necessarily % of power, etc., but I'm not sure they would share that with everyone anyway. This is as specific as I've seen:

https://stories.rivian.com/drive-modes

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I'm not sure how specific you are looking to get, but the video they released awhile back does explain what changes are made in each drive mode. Not necessarily % of power, etc., but I'm not sure they would share that with everyone anyway. This is as specific as I've seen:

https://stories.rivian.com/drive-modes
thanks for sharing. they should update it to include sand mode.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
I am also curious about power output. I Did some pulls using Draggy and at a real dragstrip and with the 20/AT I could get 3.5 0-60 in sport but closer to 4.0 in all purpose. This could be a factor of traction and suspension setting even though both settings have stability on. I have also tried to pay attention to how far up the blue bar will go in both but don't know what limits it from reaching the max sometimes (traction, battery temp) I know if the battery is low it will grey out part of the bar just like in conserve mode. I guess I need to find a way to do some pulls from something like 40mph - 70mph in each mode and compare.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Has anyone made progress on using an OBD with the Rivian? I saw a few posts a while back where a few members were looking into it but didn't see any recent updates. Using and OBD with something like TrackAddict might yield some really interesting telemetry (amount of power to each wheel etc.)

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
What's the blue bar?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
In the Munro video with Sandy and RJ, RJ indicated that Sport mode maximizes torque increasing it by about 20% (presumably over All Purpose, the mode they were changing out of).

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CFO
Thank you for posting that video that is exactly what I was looking to find out. I feel like starlight from RJ is the best source but would love to see some data on a chart one day vs just verbal with the word " about" in there. So assuming the 908 FT-lbs claim is the max this would mean that all purpose would have about 726. now I'm going to want to drive my truck in sport all the time but unfortunately I don't like the low height as much.

Rivian R1T R1S Details on what each driving modes actually do? 1669987666713

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Oh..how cool....a techie screen would be....show us power limits....shock settings....air spring settings....torque delivered to each wheel....cooling system temps.....low voltage battery status....high voltage battery status.....battery temp....

This would be the most glorious of updates....

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Thank you for posting that video that is exactly what I was looking to find out. I feel like starlight from RJ is the best source but would love to see some data on a chart one day vs just verbal with the word " about" in there. So assuming the 908 FT-lbs claim is the max this would mean that all purpose would have about 726. now I'm going to want to drive my truck in sport all the time but unfortunately I don't like the low height as much.

1669987666713.png
You can set the height in sport to Standard...

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CFO
You can set the height in sport to Standard...
Am I missing something? I only see "low" & ""lowest" I would love to be able to have full power at higher right heights. unrelated I also wish there was a reverse kneel mode. I like parking my truck in high as I think it just looks better LOL

Rivian R1T R1S Details on what each driving modes actually do? r1t

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Am I missing something? I only see "low" & ""lowest" I would love to be able to have full power at higher right heights. unrelated I also wish there was a reverse kneel mode. I like parking my truck in high as I think it just looks better LOL

r1t.png
I'll admit that I don't use sport much, and my truck has been in service for a hot minute, but I swear it was an option before...

TeslaToRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Can anyone comment in the suspension in Sport vs. All Purpose? I have had the car for a few days. I find the ride very, very bumpy on uneven surfaces at low speeds when driving in Sport mode. I have not played with All Purpose enough yet to know if the ride quality is any smoother.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Can anyone comment in the suspension in Sport vs. All Purpose? I have had the car for a few days. I find the ride very, very bumpy on uneven surfaces at low speeds when driving in Sport mode. I have not played with All Purpose enough yet to know if the ride quality is any smoother.
When I rented a truck for the day it was readily apparent the differences between sport and all purpose and soft vs stuff. All purpose with soft gives an excellent ride.
Sponsored