First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
No assumptions by me - all I am doing is compiling data on this to release a video in the future with user experiences. It likely isn't CPO specific as they're all buying hardware from the same few DCFC manufactures and I've seen it happen on a couple different networks. It's too early to know what's going on as there are no clear trends, yet.
Thanks for replying Kyle. My concern here is that you state "happening more and more frequently" with no other examples of "more and more frequently". Why not support that claim with facts? Keep in mind that a blog post like this ALSO fuels the EV haters.
Sponsored

Reactions: Guy

OutofSpecKyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Winnebago Revel
Thanks for replying Kyle. My concern here is that you state "happening more and more frequently" with no other examples of "more and more frequently". Why not support that claim with facts? Keep in mind that a blog post like this ALSO fuels the EV haters.
Totally get your point - when the video comes out it'll include every example of this I can find. Twitter is just a way for us to share topics for discussion, not a full piece that we'd put out.

If you'd like, happy to have you on for a podcast as well to discuss whether you think the data we've gathered from this through Rate Your Charge is accurate or abundant enough to be concerned about this problem.

For me, I'll plug in anywhere with no concern as it's seemingly happening in very small numbers still, but it is something to start keeping an eye on.

Not here to stop EV haters, we have a long way to go to switch to electric, and for most people they should keep driving gas... imo.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It’s troubling to see this at all, but way too early to consider this a regular issue and assign blame. And we don’t even know if the charger was the issue in any of the 2-3 cases we know of, do we? Nothing wrong with paying attention to it in case it continues happening, but until then, let’s be more like this guy:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Idk about fake news when lightnings have been reporting the same issue with an EA charger. Also don’t really see Kyle being a fake news kind of guy.
You mean aside from not getting special treatment for his Rivian right?

Reactions: Guy

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Totally get your point - when the video comes out it'll include every example of this I can find. Twitter is just a way for us to share topics for discussion, not a full piece that we'd put out.

If you'd like, happy to have you on for a podcast as well to discuss whether you think the data we've gathered from this through Rate Your Charge is accurate or abundant enough to be concerned about this problem.

For me, I'll plug in anywhere with no concern as it's seemingly happening in very small numbers still, but it is something to start keeping an eye on.

Not here to stop EV haters, we have a long way to go to switch to electric, and for most people they should keep driving gas... imo.
Great to see you engage with the audience here. I'll also say I find many of your videos very informative. Our first experience with our R1T was similar to you, by driving it half way across the country from the factory.

As a former journalist, the one thing that gets me sometimes, when watching your videos, is to keep in mind what your audience will conclude from your content, whether correct or not. I'm not saying you present yourself as press, but sometimes it comes across that way and there's a responsibility that comes along with that. Also, I understand the drive to churn out content, but sometimes step back and "edit" the messaging a bit. Again, I enjoy your content, just a perspective from someone who used to work in the media.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Great to see you engage with the audience here. I'll also say I find many of your videos very informative. Our first experience with our R1T was similar to you, by driving it half way across the country from the factory.

As a former journalist, the one thing that gets me sometimes, when watching your videos, is to keep in mind what your audience will conclude from your content, whether correct or not. I'm not saying you present yourself as press, but sometimes it comes across that way and there's a responsibility that comes along with that. Also, I understand the drive to churn out content, but sometimes step back and "edit" the messaging a bit. Again, I enjoy your content, just a perspective from someone who used to work in the media.
Well said

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
Do you have more details? Location for original tweeter? The alleged Lighting incident as well? Do you know if the incidents happened at 150 or 350 stations?

I apologize if I missed this information earlier in the thread.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Everyone here has very strong opinions on this “tweet”. I only ever brought it here to have a discussion and to seek if anyone else has heard about this or has seen it. I appreciate all who are putting forth some relevant conversation. All others with journalism degrees, it’s just a tweet.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Almost all news is complete and total sensationalist garbage these days. It's hard to bag on Kyle for doing this when CNN and Fox News do it every single day.
Plus gas stations still sell bad gas too. And who knows...maybe the Rivian was ready to fry no matter what it was connected to.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Everyone here has very strong opinions on this “tweet”. I only ever brought it here to have a discussion and to seek if anyone else has heard about this or has seen it. I appreciate all who are putting forth some relevant conversation. All others with journalism degrees, it’s just a tweet.
Still say your thread title and claims are the problem here. @OutofSpecKyle didn’t say EA was frying batteries. The Tweeter claimed that but without more information you are stoking the fire with misinformation..

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Still say your thread title and claims are the problem here. @OutofSpecKyle didn’t say EA was frying batteries. The Tweeter claimed that but without more information you are stoking the fire with misinformation..
Ok Kyle didn’t say it but it was said in the tweet, the one Kyle retweeted. Anything I’m missing here?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Could be a Rivian issue rather than an EA issue?

Also, it's been well-known that it's not a good idea to use the 350w EA chargers on the Rivian. Kyle knows this, yet still chooses to do it. Don't know if that's the case with this particular instance. But know that A LOT of people have had issues, including myself almost every time I tried them with the 350w chargers on a Rivian. Somehow, they don't communicate properly and the charger delivers more power than the Rivian can take, overheats the battery and actually leads to slower charging times if charging any longer than 10-15 minutes.

Until the issue is fixed, I don't even think about trying to use them anymore. Just stick to the 150w chargers, which when going from 10 to 80% is generally quicker than the same with the 350w EA charger if you're one of the few where the truck doesn't error out before it reaches 80%.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Update on FB from the original source, and proves my point about factual information vs "EA Stations Frying Batteries" and "EVs Frying".

Rivian R1T R1S Delivery Estimate Updates Are Out! ⏱️ [as of Jan 31, 2022] 1675032095443

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Ok Kyle didn’t say it but it was said in the tweet, the one Kyle retweeted. Anything I’m missing here?
Maybe you should read what Kyle posted above:

No assumptions by me - all I am doing is compiling data on this to release a video in the future with user experiences. It likely isn't CPO specific as they're all buying hardware from the same few DCFC manufactures and I've seen it happen on a couple different networks. It's too early to know what's going on as there are no clear trends, yet.
You are just assuming someones random post on Twitter has any truth and spreading it here. By definition you are spreading misinformation.

I find it extremely dubious that a charger fried the battery and if it did that is a very serious design flaw in the truck, never should happen under any circumstances for a well engineered system.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Maybe you should read what Kyle posted above:

You are just assuming someones random post on Twitter has any truth and spreading it here. By definition you are spreading misinformation.

I find it extremely dubious that a charger fried the battery and if it did that is a very serious design flaw in the truck, never should happen under any circumstances for a well engineered system.
I’m not assuming anything. That’s why I posted here to see what others have heard or seen, as I’ve stated above. But okay buddy
Sponsored