First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
So Kyle documents one instance but says its happening more and more frequently? Burden is on Kyle Conner to support his claim with facts of frequent occurences, otherwise IMO it's fake news.

Similar crap is happening in the 3D Printing forums. Claims that houses "are burning down everywhere" due to overheated printer hot ends, but you can only find one or two actual instances of houses buning down.
Idk about fake news when lightnings have been reporting the same issue with an EA charger. Also don’t really see Kyle being a fake news kind of guy.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Idk about fake news when lightnings have been reporting the same issue with an EA charger. Also don’t really see Kyle being a fake news kind of guy.
Responsible journalism demands that reports like this accusing someone (EA) require supporting evidence as part of the article. Of course, responsible journalism doesn't exist these days.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
To be fair, he says "EVs" in general, not Rivians specifically. I read some of the comments and someone posted "wondering if this is the same issue that fried so-and-so's mustang EV"
That's EXACTLY my point. Provide facts and evidence, not generalization and hearsay. That's responsible reporting.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
That's EXACTLY my point. Provide facts and evidence, not hearsay. That's responsible reporting.
Good luck. Besides that point , it could still be plausible and I was curious to see if anyone here heard or has seen this.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Good luck. Besides that point , it could still be plausible and I was curious to see if anyone here heard or has seen this.
Not criticing your concerns or you posting this at all. The concerns are real, and that's why the people creating the original reporting (Kyle) should take more time to provide hard facts and evidence.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
@Zoidz you seem to be confusing a tweet with journalism. this isn't an investigsative journalism piece and Kyle isn't making accusations. He is merely re-sharing an event and commenting that this isn't the first such report and that it is a situation worth monitoring to see if we're dealing with a few one off incidents, related to having more EVs on the road, or something bigger and more pervasive with a brand of charger/vehicle.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

@Zoidz you seem to be confusing a tweet with journalism. this isn't an investigsative journalism piece and Kyle isn't making accusations. He is merely re-sharing an event and commenting that this isn't the first such report and that it is a situation worth monitoring to see if we're dealing with a few one off incidents, related to having more EVs on the road, or something bigger and more pervasive with a brand of charger/vehicle.
Agreed. The real problem here is OP spreading misinformation. It’s ok to monitor these reports and man does that suck but one report is hardly justification to say “OMG don’t charge at EA your truck might explode”, yes I exaggerated the comments.

If the electronics are going to fry it’s certainly going to happen when you push >200kW into it. It could be a problem with the EA charger and yes we have seen some reports of the new chargers causing issues when they send more juice then asked for but it’s also possible something just broke on the truck.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Responsible journalism demands that reports like this accusing someone (EA) require supporting evidence as part of the article. Of course, responsible journalism doesn't exist these days.
Nothing against Kyle, I find some of his videos informative, but he's a blogger not a journalist. I completely agree with the point you are making. There are too many bloggers/influencers who think they are "reporting" when that's not really the case. It's not that they are generally doing something wrong, but responsible reporting would do more research, reach out to EA for comment before putting a story out.

As someone who went to journalism school, worked in the industry for a decade, stuff like this annoys me. This is also why editors/producers are such an important part of journalism because it puts a second set of eyes on a story.

Last edited:

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
“It’s never happened to me so it doesn’t exist” and “I heard of a thing that happened once therefore it happens all the time”, times Social Media, equals the Worst Timeline Ever.

I would love to see data on this situation, and any others where it has been reported. In the mean-time, I will continue charging at EAs when I need a DCFC and there’s no RAN around.

The Twitter thread is a dumpster fire, so, you know, it’s a regular Twitter thread.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So Kyle documents one instance but says its happening more and more frequently? Burden is on Kyle Conner to support his claim with facts of frequent occurences, otherwise IMO it's fake news.

Similar crap is happening in the 3D Printing forums. Claims that houses "are burning down everywhere" due to overheated printer hot ends, but you can only find one or two actual instances of houses buning down.
This is the second EV I've heard of this happening to. Don't remember if it was ever discovered what caused the last one. I think it was a Lightning.

Curious if the person tried to remove the cable with the manual release.

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
Kyle‘s post didn’t mention Electrify America. The post referenced by Kyle was a direct post by an Owner who had an issue with Electrify America. I have no problem with Kyle’s post in the case.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
This is the 2nd time I've heard of this. First time was an F150 Lightning. I've also heard of the newer EA chargers sending more power than the vehicle is requesting multiple times for multiple vehicles.

Even if this is rare, it's still concerning. If it happens to you, you would not care how rare it is.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not confusing anything. I'm pointing out that today way too many people believe tweets ARE journalism and fact, and don't bother to fact check themselves or use critical thinking. If someone wants to be a blogger, great. If they want to be a respected blogger, they need to rise above the rest of the crap.

OutofSpecKyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Winnebago Revel
No assumptions by me - all I am doing is compiling data on this to release a video in the future with user experiences. It likely isn't CPO specific as they're all buying hardware from the same few DCFC manufactures and I've seen it happen on a couple different networks. It's too early to know what's going on as there are no clear trends, yet.
Sponsored