Sponsored

Delivery Canceled and Vin no long available

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
They ultimately don't have to tell you why they aren't selling it to you, because you haven't signed the final paperwork in person. The vehicle is not yours yet.
This is likely not accurate. Rivian signed the Vehicle Purchase Agreement promising to sell OP a specific VIN. Rivian cannot simply walk that back without breaching the contract.

Rivian appears to be selling most vehicles FOB Illinois, meaning the point Rivian loads the truck and leaves the Rivian factory in Normal, you own legal title to the vehicle if you signed the Vehicle Purchase Agreement and the truck left Normal.

The only paperwork signed in person is the POA to let Rivian title the vehicle in your state.

Simple it happens all the time. It could have been damaged, or some other problem.
Yea - there could be a simple explanation why the truck is not available. My delivery was canceled because the paint was damaged during PDI.

However, Rivian signed a contract promising to “sell[] and transfer[] to the Buyer the following vehicle: [VIN].” Rivian cannot unilaterally just say “Oops” that VIN is no longer available, without breaching the contract.
Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
SO...... just got a call from my guide. My delivery that was set for Monday may 16, 2022 is canceled. My Vehicle with assisted VIN is no longer available.

I'm am speechless... but reading other's peoples experience I had prepare myself for this outcome.

I have already wired them 55K and I already took out a $28000 dollar loan. I will now need to go back to my credit union and update everything along with my insurance.

They did have a Rivian Blue, with 20 and off-road available... my original config (white, 21 road, no off-road package) ... I feel a bit of a bait and switch.

I told them I'll take that Rivian Blue for the same cost of my original config. or I want my truck by end of next Friday or I'm walking. I know people on this forum will be you should be happy you're getting your truck... but its the way you do business and how you deal... and I deal in good faith.

I am super disappointed speechless... funny thing is I'm going to look like a clown in front of all my friends and co workers who warned me this will happen I even posted it on my instagram and Facebook. lol and there are friends who say fake news....

So I'm 55K Down from my bank account.... paying interest on 28000K + Paying Insurance cost... and I have to put faith in them to delivery....

I think I'm walking.... tbh.
I honestly would stick to my original config, and ask them to refund the money until they have a truck ready.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
This is likely not accurate. Rivian signed the Vehicle Purchase Agreement promising to sell OP a specific VIN. Rivian cannot simply walk that back without breaching the contract.

Rivian appears to be selling most vehicles FOB Illinois, meaning the point Rivian loads the truck and leaves the Rivian factory in Normal, you own legal title to the vehicle if you signed the Vehicle Purchase Agreement and the truck left Normal.

The only paperwork signed in person is the POA to let Rivian title the vehicle in your state.

Yea - there could be a simple explanation why the truck is not available. My delivery was canceled because the paint was damaged during PDI.

However, Rivian signed a contract promising to “sell[] and transfer[] to the Buyer the following vehicle: [VIN].” Rivian cannot unilaterally just say “Oops” that VIN is no longer available, without breaching the contract.
And what does the breach of contract mean? Just cancels it and you are can get your money back.

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
SO...... just got a call from my guide. My delivery that was set for Monday may 16, 2022 is canceled. My Vehicle with assisted VIN is no longer available.

I'm am speechless... but reading other's peoples experience I had prepare myself for this outcome.

I have already wired them 55K and I already took out a $28000 dollar loan. I will now need to go back to my credit union and update everything along with my insurance.

They did have a Rivian Blue, with 20 and off-road available... my original config (white, 21 road, no off-road package) ... I feel a bit of a bait and switch.

I told them I'll take that Rivian Blue for the same cost of my original config. or I want my truck by end of next Friday or I'm walking. I know people on this forum will be you should be happy you're getting your truck... but its the way you do business and how you deal... and I deal in good faith.

I am super disappointed speechless... funny thing is I'm going to look like a clown in front of all my friends and co workers who warned me this will happen I even posted it on my instagram and Facebook. lol and there are friends who say fake news....

So I'm 55K Down from my bank account.... paying interest on 28000K + Paying Insurance cost... and I have to put faith in them to delivery....

I had a related experience with Tesla. Bought my M3, specific VIN, config that I did not change for >2 years (basic, black, single motor) etc. I went to the delivery center in Fremont and they said they'd be back in 5 minutes with the car and I'd be able to drive home. 3 hours later...I couldn't find the rep or anyone who knew where they were. Finally, they came back and said they couldn't find my car. I had paid for it, it was registered in my name, and I had the keys etc. They said to come back another day but I refused, since I didn't want the delay due to insurance/payment etc., similar to your situation. So I asked to look for it myself. Walked the lot and looked at every window VIN for another 2 hours and eventually found my "car" but it was a totally different config. Wrong color, dual vs. single motor, wrong interior, right VIN. At that point, they demanded a LOT more $ from me, but I refused. I owned the car at that stage according to the registration and had 0 intention of paying that much for the vehicle (let alone one that I didn't want) to begin with. In the end, they settled as it was an embarrassing mixup on their end. I'd expect Rivian to make some accommodations for something like this and would be equally disappointed if they don't make some gesture like an accessory credit like other posters suggested. I hope it's resolved soon!

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I don't know about y'all, but if and when my truck finally is ready, I'm just going to pick it up at the factory and avoid the Mad Max situation that apparently is happening with delivery.

I have family in Chicago and we are going to make an adventure out of picking up our truck!

Sponsored

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
I don't know about y'all, but if and when my truck finally is ready, I'm just going to pick it up at the factory and avoid the Mad Max situation that apparently is happening with delivery.

I have family in Chicago and we are going to make an adventure out of picking up our truck!
Same here, I was looking for that selection in the pre-order rather than it be delivered to our home. Will fly up and drive home to Texas via family in Michigan who don't believe in EV's (In-law is a contract supplier to Ford, GM etc).

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Same here, I was looking for that selection in the pre-order rather than it be delivered to our home. Will fly up and drive home to Texas via family in Michigan who don't believe in EV's (In-law is a contract supplier to Ford, GM etc).
I asked my guide if I could do that. They said, “no!” YMMV.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
yup all signed all 8 steps done. money taken out of my bank account.
Yeah, $ removed from my bank also in Step 7 before they unlocked Step 8 (schedule delivery). And now Rivian is 'trying to gind a way to flatbed my R1T to me. It gas veen a week since Step 7

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram

Hopefully your truck wasn't this one? :)

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The fact a formal Recall recently happened must be playing into this
It might actually stop sale, but it is only on production until April 12th. I would think they'd keep the vin live though.

Sponsored

Lyon

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Suburban, Sprinter, XC90
Occupation
Lawyer
That's immensely frustrating! It would be totally reasonable of you to tell them to refund it all and walk away; it would also be totally reasonable to take the replacement car with the slightly different configuration; it would also be totally reasonable to tell them to remake it and get the one you ordered. No matter what you do it's going to feel crummy.

For what it's worth, I'm fairly certain that Rivian wouldn't have done this unless there wasn't another option. I'm guessing something really wrong with the truck (probably lost in an accident in transit).

Hang tough, make the decision that's right for you!

Citibeach

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
Occupation
Self
So i was supped to get my truck two Fridays ago. They set the appointment and then 5 hours later cancelled. I paid in full, the only step that didn’t go through was the insurance. I didn’t have a VIN and couldn’t get my guide to get it to me. I went to the Venice hub and got someone to email a team of people. Two days later, which was last Friday they set a delivery appointment for this coming Weds. I still can’t get my VIN # so I can finish the insurance paperwork.
So honestly Im now expecting them to cancel my delivery because my insurance paperwork is not complete. They have my 84k, and like most the experience has been rocky at best. Supposedly my truck had paint damage that needed to be addressed in their El Segundo hub.
Ill try again tomorrow and Tuesday to get the damn VIN#. My guide keeps telling me it should be on my order page. It is not.

OP
OP
rivian_panda

rivian_panda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Genius, Millionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist
So i was supped to get my truck two Fridays ago. They set the appointment and then 5 hours later cancelled. I paid in full, the only step that didn’t go through was the insurance. I didn’t have a VIN and couldn’t get my guide to get it to me. I went to the Venice hub and got someone to email a team of people. Two days later, which was last Friday they set a delivery appointment for this coming Weds. I still can’t get my VIN # so I can finish the insurance paperwork.
So honestly Im now expecting them to cancel my delivery because my insurance paperwork is not complete. They have my 84k, and like most the experience has been rocky at best. Supposedly my truck had paint damage that needed to be addressed in their El Segundo hub.
Ill try again tomorrow and Tuesday to get the damn VIN#. My guide keeps telling me it should be on my order page. It is not.

Sorry man... I feel you.... I'm beyond angry... the more i think about it... they have our money... i'm too afraid to ask for my money back because 1) might take a few weeks to get it reversed... 2) If they have my payment.... they got no excuse to work faster....

All in all one of the worst car buying experiences I had.... we complain about dealership... but at least at a dealership you get your car after you pay...

LebrarianBooker

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Bump... the exact same thing just happened to me. My guide let me know the VIN is no longer available and that the vehicle is unsaleable

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Bump... the exact same thing just happened to me. My guide let me know the VIN is no longer available and that the vehicle is unsaleable
was this the word used by the guide? WTF????
Sponsored