Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I must say that despite all of the gaffes that Rivian has had, this is still one of my best car buying experiences. I placed my order in November 2020 a few days prior to the configurator going public. I had always wanted a 300-mile range EV and a truck is that much better! I knew it would not be delivered when they said but certainly didn't expect COVID and supply chain issues. Even with all of them, I never expected to get the truck anytime soon. My most recent delivery window was June/July 2022. Optimistically, I was thinking the 4th of July would be awesome. Never did I think they would deliver early.

On Thursday, April 28th I was assigned a guide and got a phone call set up for that afternoon. We locked my config and within minutes I had my PBA. On Friday, my guide invited me to their Irvine office to see an R1T in person. Unfortunately, I was not available Friday so I went on Monday, during lunch. Shortly after I got back to my office, my guide called me and asked if I was willing to consider a different configuration. She had one that was exactly what I was looking for (Launch Green, Black Mountain, 20" AT) but did not have the Off-road protection. I was OK with that. On Tuesday morning, the 8-step process was opened and I completed all of the steps. My insurance company was quick to get me the cards and my Bank was easy to wire funds through. I did not have a trade-in, so everything was simple and straightforward. I was now able to schedule a delivery. I looked at the available times and I could pick it up at the delivery center on Saturday, May 7th or I could get home delivery on Wednesday, May 4th (the next day!). That was a no-brainer. LOL

So, Wednesday afternoon, I had the R1T delivered to my home. We spent 5 minutes with paperwork and talking with the delivery guy. Then we spent an hour and a half in and around the vehicle. The poor delivery guy had a horrible time getting a Lyft back to his office, so he chilled for a while until Uber finally picked him up.

I have played around with several settings and things in the truck. I have the garage door opening connected and working. There are a few issues, but nothing too terrible. The phone as a key is not great, and the wristband doesn't work at all. I have the issue of the windshield wiper activating one time when I put it in drive (or reverse). Finally, and the biggest issue is the rear driver's side window does not go all the way up without holding the lever. None of my issues are a big deal but have been reported to Rivian tonight.

I was even able to test fast charging tonight from 64% - 70%. The nearest charger to me is a ChargePoint at the local Honda dealer, 50kW charger with 1 hour free! I plugged in with no issue and charged for 12 minutes. I have never owned an EV or even been to a charging station. The process was simple and straightforward.

The first 30 hours have been awesome. Hopefully, the next few years will be too.

Rivian R1T R1S Delivered! My Rivian Story RIV
Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Congrats, thanks for sharing your story!

Question: you got a wristband? Don't think I have seen anyone say they got one yet.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I must say that despite all of the gaffes that Rivian has had, this is still one of my best car buying experiences. I placed my order in November 2020 a few days prior to the configurator going public. I had always wanted a 300-mile range EV and a truck is that much better! I knew it would not be delivered when they said but certainly didn't expect COVID and supply chain issues. Even with all of them, I never expected to get the truck anytime soon. My most recent delivery window was June/July 2022. Optimistically, I was thinking the 4th of July would be awesome. Never did I think they would deliver early.

On Thursday, April 28th I was assigned a guide and got a phone call set up for that afternoon. We locked my config and within minutes I had my PBA. On Friday, my guide invited me to their Irvine office to see an R1T in person. Unfortunately, I was not available Friday so I went on Monday, during lunch. Shortly after I got back to my office, my guide called me and asked if I was willing to consider a different configuration. She had one that was exactly what I was looking for (Launch Green, Black Mountain, 20" AT) but did not have the Off-road protection. I was OK with that. On Tuesday morning, the 8-step process was opened and I completed all of the steps. My insurance company was quick to get me the cards and my Bank was easy to wire funds through. I did not have a trade-in, so everything was simple and straightforward. I was now able to schedule a delivery. I looked at the available times and I could pick it up at the delivery center on Saturday, May 7th or I could get home delivery on Wednesday, May 4th (the next day!). That was a no-brainer. LOL

So, Wednesday afternoon, I had the R1T delivered to my home. We spent 5 minutes with paperwork and talking with the delivery guy. Then we spent an hour and a half in and around the vehicle. The poor delivery guy had a horrible time getting a Lyft back to his office, so he chilled for a while until Uber finally picked him up.

I have played around with several settings and things in the truck. I have the garage door opening connected and working. There are a few issues, but nothing too terrible. The phone as a key is not great, and the wristband doesn't work at all. I have the issue of the windshield wiper activating one time when I put it in drive (or reverse). Finally, and the biggest issue is the rear driver's side window does not go all the way up without holding the lever. None of my issues are a big deal but have been reported to Rivian tonight.

I was even able to test fast charging tonight from 64% - 70%. The nearest charger to me is a ChargePoint at the local Honda dealer, 50kW charger with 1 hour free! I plugged in with no issue and charged for 12 minutes. I have never owned an EV or even been to a charging station. The process was simple and straightforward.

The first 30 hours have been awesome. Hopefully, the next few years will be too.

RIV.jpg
Your first 30 hours may have been awesome, but if your experience is anything like mine, it'll only get better.😁

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Congrats, thanks for sharing your story!

Question: you got a wristband? Don't think I have seen anyone say they got one yet.
I was told the wristband would ship later. They even had me sign a document acknowledging that. Then today during show and tell, I found a wristband on the floor right behind the driver’s seat. I called my guide thinking maybe it was the delivery person’s key but she said it was mine. Even the serial number matches with the app.

I also received my spare tire, which several have not.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot

RIV.jpg

Congratulations!!!!!

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Congrats. Keep us posted about your experience

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

These all seem great, but it also seems that there are issues with all of these and at this point not sure if leaving phone, key fob in the car and relying on the wrist band would be a good idea or not?

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Congrats and Enjoy!!! I reserved mine about the same time and I'm currently awaiting a delivery date, exciting times!!!