Sponsored

Delayed… again. Dec 2020 order date. Losing all faith and excitement for Rivian.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
In the case of NC, I believe you have your State government to blame. I don't think there is much Rivian can do in-state and there is only so much Rivian can handle from Richmond and Atlanta.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It’s understandable that you would be losing faith. Without question Rivian should have been more clear in their decisions to either sell or not sell to customers in areas without service nearby. They have really let a bunch of people in those states and in Canada down. Seems to me they took those orders and they should have delivered them, even if they had to ask those customers to sign a waiver on service pickups.

It’s also not quite fair to blame them for the idiotic decisions of state lawmakers who continue playing games with direct sales/ service. They are as much to blame as Rivian.

Still a crappy situation. I hope they get your area settled and you get your Rivian. Hang in there.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I think Rivian overestimated the ability to get approval in business backwards states like Carolinas, Pennsylvania, etc. and is now paying the price with long distances and overloaded regional SCs, as well as underestimating the amount of tickets they would have At the SCs. So now they are not just production constrained, thry have a terrible SC bottleneck in some regions. It Is better to push out delivery than create even more logjams, A pissed off customer who gets delayed delivery is one thing. Being unable to service deliveries and getting slammed with Lemon Law due to failure to fix in a timely manner is a whole different issue.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I think Rivian overestimated the ability to get approval in business backwards states like Carolinas, Pennsylvania, etc. and is now paying the price with long distances and overloaded regional SCs, as well as underestimating the amount of tickets they would have At the SCs. So now they are not just production constrained, thry have a terrible SC bottleneck in some regions. It Is better to push out delivery than create even more logjams, A pissed off customer who gets delayed delivery is one thing. Being unable to service deliveries and getting slammed with Lemon Law due to failure to fix in a timely manner is a whole different issue.
They are in large part to blame for overloaded service centers because they cannot build vehicles without panel fit issues which then requires a SC not a mobile visit. They only have around 20000 vehicles on the road and most of their SCs seem to be quoting 3+ months for service. If they could improve their manufacture and QC at the factory then they would relieve pressure on the SCs.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
They are in large part to blame for overloaded service centers because they cannot build vehicles without panel fit issues which then requires a SC not a mobile visit. They only have around 20000 vehicles on the road and most of their SCs seem to be quoting 3+ months for service. If they could improve their manufacture and QC at the factory then they would relieve pressure on the SCs.
I think perspective here is needed. These vehicles didn’t exist and no one built them before now. There’s gonna be some QC issues with a brand new manufacturer AND a brand new vehicle. I think Rivian is doing a great job for where they are at in the manufacturing process.

Tesla, and every other startup who has entered mass production has had the same sort of issues.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
No debate that improving QC will ease the pressure on the service centers. The long waits are not happening everywhere, however. They seem to be more prevalent in areas where they built a temporary location or a center that was too small to handle the local sales volume. The PNW has this issue and they have by far the highest concentration of Rivians right now. CO is not far behind but so far we are not seeing the same types of complaints about our service center. Other places having this issue are where one center is attempting to service too big an area, like Brooklyn covering NY/ NJ/ PA. That is a mistake on their part, but states like NJ and PA are also not making it easy for them to sell and service. So it is Rivian’s fault but not 100%.

It’s not accurate to say they “cannot” build vehicles without panel gaps. The majority of people here in the forums who post about it say their trucks are fine and don’t have this issue. It takes many years of manufacturing to get those perfect panel gaps. TBH Rivian is doing pretty well for a brand new manufacturer.

buddha2lotus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model s
Occupation
physician
I'm ok with the wait since it'll give me more time to save up more money. Plus more time for them to iron out all the bugs.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I think perspective here is needed. These vehicles didn’t exist and no one built them before now. There’s gonna be some QC issues with a brand new manufacturer AND a brand new vehicle. I think Rivian is doing a great job for where they are at in the manufacturing process.

Tesla, and every other startup who has entered mass production has had the same sort of issues.
Agree. It's not realistic to expect Rivian to perform like Toyota/GM/Ford/BMW/etc. Some Rivian buyers understand Rivian is a startup and know what that entails and are willing to tolerate it to various levels. Others just demand a new vehicle on their own terms as if they were buying from a legacy company. They probably should have done better homework, are not risk tolerant and should not be Rivian customers.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I have 2 concerns with my delay to Oct-Dec 2023:

1) I'm driving a 2011 model car. Thankfully it's relatively low mileage for its age and I'm only having to commute 1-2 days/week. I'd rather have a new car sooner than later though, since I've already done some expensive-ish repairs and don't want to do any more.

2) The tax credit situation. The new battery source requirements are definitely going to be in place by October. I'll just cross my fingers and hope Rivian can qualify.

The upside though, is that I'm still holding out a little bit of hope that they'll make some improvements to the vehicle/battery/etc. in the meantime and not just be removing features (e.g. 12V in frunk). Also, I'm REALLY hoping they eventually offer the dual motor at a discount to pre-3/1/22 pricing. I don't need quad motors and would love to have the same discount options that Max pack R1T people were given to downgrade.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Agree. It's not realistic to expect Rivian to perform like Toyota/GM/Ford/BMW/etc. Some Rivian buyers understand Rivian is a startup and know what that entails and are willing to tolerate it to various levels. Others just demand a new vehicle on their own terms as if they were buying from a legacy company. They probably should have done better homework, are not risk tolerant and should not be Rivian customers.
I am tolerant of issues and Rivian seem reliable for crucial reliability issues with seemingly be try low critical failures (communication modules, motors, battery packs etc). My point was panel fit, wind noise and wheel alignment seem to be regular issues and are relatively simple to fix. These are the issues sending people to go back to the SC to get fixed and have led to very long wait times and a throttling of deliveries to certain areas.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I would argue that more or less Rivian IS acting like a legacy manufacturer. Look at how many recalls the Bronco has had, or Toyota with all their deadly airbags and Kia with their brakes now. In mass production stuff is going to happen and it seems like some of the people here are expecting Rivian to put out a product that rivals Rolls Royce for a hundred grand. It's not going to happen. If you want perfect get out your wallet because that means one off hand made vehicle. You can measure the panel gaps in a Rolls and they will be perfect, because someone else already measured them.

I do 100% agree that some people need to be more accepting or to buy something from a more tried and true brand. If you are going with a startup there will be growing pains.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

No debate that improving QC will ease the pressure on the service centers. The long waits are not happening everywhere, however. They seem to be more prevalent in areas where they built a temporary location or a center that was too small to handle the local sales volume. The PNW has this issue and they have by far the highest concentration of Rivians right now. CO is not far behind but so far we are not seeing the same types of complaints about our service center. Other places having this issue are where one center is attempting to service too big an area, like Brooklyn covering NY/ NJ/ PA. That is a mistake on their part, but states like NJ and PA are also not making it easy for them to sell and service. So it is Rivian’s fault but not 100%.

It’s not accurate to say they “cannot” build vehicles without panel gaps. The majority of people here in the forums who post about it say their trucks are fine and don’t have this issue. It takes many years of manufacturing to get those perfect panel gaps. TBH Rivian is doing pretty well for a brand new manufacturer.
I agree Brooklyn is covering too large an area and this was predictable. Delaware, Maryland, New York State and NJ allow service facilities and yet none are open other than Brooklyn. There. Has been the fiasco of opening a temporary DC service center (when volumes were very low in mid 2022), then close it before the permanent center opened, which has since been delayed and now a new temporary facility may open. Covering an area from Virginia to Maine with three centers was obviously poor planning and they have had 2 plus years to rectify.

I am tolerant of issues, but they have been caught out on planning with the RAN, hubs, service centers, accessories for the truck (camp kitchen, shuttle, manual cover).

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I would argue that more or less Rivian IS acting like a legacy manufacturer. Look at how many recalls the Bronco has had, or Toyota with all their deadly airbags and Kia with their brakes now. In mass production stuff is going to happen and it seems like some of the people here are expecting Rivian to put out a product that rivals Rolls Royce for a hundred grand. It's not going to happen. If you want perfect get out your wallet because that means one off hand made vehicle. You can measure the panel gaps in a Rolls and they will be perfect, because someone else already measured them.

I do 100% agree that some people need to be more accepting or to buy something from a more tried and true brand. If you are going with a startup there will be growing pains.
The panel gap on my two <$30k Mazdas were perfect so it isn’t only Rolls Royces that have this down. It is not too much to expect the charge port to open and not rub or for the hood to be aligned with the fenders.
Sponsored