Sponsored

Decided to give the nearby EA station a go. Everything went fine.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Rivian R1T R1S Decided to give the nearby EA station a go. Everything went fine. 20220622_180453

My R1T was down to 34%, so decided to give DC fast charging a shot to see what my results would be. There is a new EA station that was put up near me, only 150 kw stations though. One thing to note is that the Rivian navigation does not have it listed, even though its been operational for about 4 months. It was 97 degrees outside, and 3/4 stations were occupied. I used the method I learned from Out of Spec, I used the EA app to activate the charger first, then plugged in. Took roughly 10 seconds for payment to be approved, then 15 seconds after I plugged in for charging to start. Charging started at 146 KW, eventually reached 150 kW at 49%. I only charged to 57%, which took 15 minutes. Max charge speed I saw was 153 kW.

So overall, pretty easy charging experience. There is a cell tower a few blocks away, so the EA stations likely had a strong signal. It at least makes me more comfortable that even at a 150 kw station, in the heat, it charged at a decent rate.
Sponsored

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Nice to see reports of positive experiences with charging. All the negative ones can be frightening.

OP
OP

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Went to a 350 kw charger near Disneyland this weekend. Was at 40% and charged up to 60%. This time I plugged in first and then used the app to process the payment. Took about 10 seconds to connect to the R1T, and 5 seconds to process the payment and start delivering power. The screen was super laggy though, so it had actually started charging while the screen still said it was processing the payment.

It charged at 211 kWh for about 1 minute, then dropped to 170 kWh. The R1T display said charging speed was limited by the charger. It was only 90 degrees, so wasn't too hot. Total time was almost 12 minutes for 20%. At 60 percent it started to drop below 150 kWh so I just decided to disconnect and go about my day.

Another good charging experience, but once again this was in an area with very good cell data coverage.
Sponsored