IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Anyone looked at this charger? Looks interesting. Home DC Fast Charging as well as Vehicle to Home functionality. It’s not cheap but might have a decent ROI.

https://www.dcbel.energy/blackout-power/
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm happy to see more entrants with V2H/V2G capability.

I believe that Rivian has a plan here, and I will wait to see what they announce before making my EVSE decision.

It's still not clear whether they will allow/support this for the vehicles themselves, but we do know the vehicles can support bidirectional charging.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I like almost everything about what they are promising, and hope we get there soon. It includes integrating solar, an optional stationary battery (I assume required to enable DCFC for your EV), load shaving, and V2H backup as well as V2G
Rivian R1T R1S Dcbel Charger=Home DC and V2H 1618413034812

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This is a technology that I think gets way too much excitement.

1. Why would I want to damage the long-term health of my vehicle? You're better off with a generator or a dedicated solar/battery system. If you experience regular multi-day outages, then solar/battery or a LP/NG generator are king. If it's just the occasional short-term outage, then a portable gas generator may be fine -- or you can run your refrigerator off of the Rivian inverter.

2. Why would I want to drain my vehicle battery, in an emergency, only to find myself needing to go somewhere (or flee) and now my range is gone. That's a hard "nope" for me. If the power goes out, I want to conserve my EV range.

I wonder how many people actually use the tech, if available to them? Perhaps this is one of those things that people talk about but in practice it isn't a big deal?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
This is a technology that I think gets way too much excitement.

1. Why would I want to damage the long-term health of my vehicle? You're better off with a generator or a dedicated solar/battery system. If you experience regular multi-day outages, then solar/battery or a LP/NG generator are king. If it's just the occasional short-term outage, then a portable gas generator may be fine -- or you can run your refrigerator off of the Rivian inverter.

2. Why would I want to drain my vehicle battery, in an emergency, only to find myself needing to go somewhere (or flee) and now my range is gone. That's a hard "nope" for me. If the power goes out, I want to conserve my EV range.

I wonder how many people actually use the tech, if available to them? Perhaps this is one of those things that people talk about but in practice it isn't a big deal?
1) If used only for emergencies, chances of any damage are slim. Even if used more frequently at lower loads, I doubt any harm would be done...likely less than driving.

2) Personally, I will keep at least one ICE vehicle. But if there was an area with fast chargers online, you could go charge up & then bring that power back to your house.

I promise that keeping your family warm is more important than the potential of minimal battery damage.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
2) Personally, I will keep at least one ICE vehicle. But if there was an area with fast chargers online, you could go charge up & then bring that power back to your house.

I promise that keeping your family warm is more important than the potential of minimal battery damage.
If my house is out of power, chances are the DCFC in the area are also offline.

If you live in an area with frequent power outages during the winter, then you should be using LP/NG for heat, imo.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If you live in an area with frequent power outages during the winter, then you should be using LP/NG for heat, imo.
I have natural gas heat, but an electric blower on it - so when my power goes out I have no heat.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have natural gas heat, but an electric blower on it - so when my power goes out I have no heat.
We have a fireplace that we would use in an emergency. The igniter even has a spot to install a couple D-cell batteries (and I keep a new pack in our emergency kit) so we can light it without grid power.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I am trying to get away from fossil fuels as much as possible. Therefore I would either want a stationary battery (already have solar) or to be able to use an EV. Since I rarely lost power (maybe once or twice a year for less than a day) I couldn't justify the cost of a battery system. Being able to use an EV for those rare occasions would be great. And when I've lost power, many places in town still had power so I would be able to go and charge somewhere.

I don't like in a high probably disaster area so that probably makes a difference. I can see issues with living in hurricane country and I would just get a battery system then.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hey, they’re just 20 minutes from my house!

Should I stop by? ?

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Hey, they’re just 20 minutes from my house!

Should I stop by? ?
Do you even have to ask? Of course you should.
Sponsored