DC Bi-directional charging for CCS vehicles

Peter del Rio

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3 rex, Jaguar XKR, Land Rover LR3
CCS vehicles manufactured in 2022 or later will have DC Bi-directional charging capabilities.

Will this be the case for Rivian?

Once CCS standards are formally revised, bi-directional chargers can utilize EVs for home battery backup. The Rivian with 130kW and bidirectional charger are cheaper as a battery backup than 10 Tesla batteries at $90K for 130kW.

In short you get battery back-up and you can drive for less money than batteries. The one drawback is kW/hr through put is less with bi-directional charging, so maybe the Tesla batteries are fairly priced.
Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
We don't at all know this for certain. There is a real possibility of this, but there is no documented commitment to making this happen.

As close as it's been is a Q&A session video where RJ noted they were 'going to look into it' or it was a 'definite possibility' or something similar. I can't recall what thread I saw that in here.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Since it is going to be part of the CCS standard, the chances of Rivian not implementing it are very near zero.
No additional hardware on the vehicle side, it's all software.

cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

We don't at all know this for certain. There is a real possibility of this, but there is no documented commitment to making this happen.

As close as it's been is a Q&A session video where RJ noted they were 'going to look into it' or it was a 'definite possibility' or something similar. I can't recall what thread I saw that in here.
Well, RJ explicitly said that these cars (R1T and R1S) will work with vehicle to house charging. It's at minute 14 of the Q&A on Let's Just Drive by Rivian - Rivian Stories. Just not supported at launch with the charger they will be selling at first.

Talking with an electrician during the quote process, he recommended running 4 wires to the box instead of the 3 in the manual to support the future V2H charger. And also said that the electrical panel wiring to support that is inconsequential to back change in the future

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Well, RJ explicitly said that these cars (R1T and R1S) will work with vehicle to house charging. It's at minute 14 of the Q&A on Let's Just Drive by Rivian - Rivian Stories. Just not supported at launch with the charger they will be selling at first.
Because they have never talked about something before killing it. Nothing is ever for sure until it's deployed. Never ever buy something on the promise of future functionality.

I'll just leave this here...

Rivian R1T R1S DC Bi-directional charging for CCS vehicles 5mh6a5

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Because they have never talked about something before killing it. Nothing is ever for sure until it's deployed. Never ever buy something with the promise of future functionality.

I'll just leave this here...

5mh6a5.jpg
None of those things are part of a specification Rivian is adhering to (CCS & ISO 15118).
They were potential features shown on prototype vehicles - get over it already. Hardware on prototypes is in a completely different ballpark than implementing the latest software standard.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
None of those things are part of a specification Rivian is adhering to (CCS & ISO 15118).
They were potential features shown on prototype vehicles - get over it already. Hardware on prototypes is in a completely different ballpark than implementing the latest software standard.
You keep on mentioning that it's 'just software' and it's 'in the specification' but you don't seem to realize that it's a hell of a lot more complicated than that. There may be incompatibilities, risks, costs, or economics involved that significantly delay (potentially for years) or make V2H non-viable from Rivian's perspective. You know - just like the 180 degree tailgate, electrochromatic roof, or Tank Turn. (that latter being an excellent example of 'just software')

The OP asked if it's coming. You answered unambiguously, "Yes". That is not the case - it may come, it may not, it may come for future revisions of R1X vehicles. We just do not know.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
You keep on mentioning that it's 'just software' and it's 'in the specification' but you don't seem to realize that it's a hell of a lot more complicated than that. There may be incompatibilities, risks, costs, or economics involved that significantly delay (potentially for years) or make V2H non-viable from Rivian's perspective. You know - just like the 180 degree tailgate, electrochromatic roof, or Tank Turn. (that latter being an excellent example of 'just software')

The OP asked if it's coming. You answered unambiguously, "Yes". That is not the case - it may come, it may not, it may come for future revisions of R1X vehicles. We just do not know.
Sorry, but we do know that Rivian is adhering to the CCS spec. I'll stick with "yes".

The "magic" happens in the external hardware. All the vehicle does is provide access to the battery thru the DC pins on the CCS (or CHAdeMO) port.

If the question is if Rivian will sell branded versions of V2H/G hardware and the software/apps, I'll agree with you on the maybe they will, maybe they won't. But the chances of them only partially adopting the new CCS specs are so close to zero that it can be dismissed. We've already gotten confirmation of the plug and charge portion of the ISO 15118 spec that also contains the V2G/H provisions.

Just like you can buy any EVSE and the Rivian will charge, you will be able to buy V2G/H hardware and connect to the Rivian.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
But the chances of them only partially adopting the new CCS specs are so close to zero that it can be dismissed.
This old engineer is chuckling heartily!

Fact is that if you can get to the battery terminals, which you can via the DC pins on the CCS connector if the vehicle firmware/software allows it, you can attach either an inverter or rectifier to the battery and thus, either charge it or discarge it (into whatever is on the load side of the inverter). Thus the potential for V2X is certainly there. Whether Rivian will enable this and when remains to be seen. Of course if Rivian implements all the features of the CCS standard without any protection anyone with a copy of the standard could make an inverter, attach it to the battery terminals and have at it. What I am getting at is that I think Rivian is going to be pretty careful about whom they are going to allow to close those contactors.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
What he did say was that they were developing two products which would connect to the battery (via the CCS connector). One was the buddy charger (charge one Rivian from another) and the other was a V2H (two way charger) unit. He did say that neither would be available initially but that both would be available at some time in the future. He did say that both would be compatible with the vehicles being released today (whenever today turns out to be).
Sponsored