Sponsored

"day one" of "not a good day" for $RIVN

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The weird thing is Lucid taking less hits lately than Rivian.
I think it's honestly because there is less known about the. Rivian news is inextricably linked to a lot of Ford New and/or Amazon News so it's more talked about. Lucid is just making nice cars without as much scrutiny (or potential for profit though).
Sponsored

SCV-Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Chevy Colorado, Honda Accord
Occupation
Sales
It's unrealistic to expect a startup with an average price of around $75k to have 200k reservations at all, much less one that isn't really out in the world in masse yet.

I suspect Ford's number will get cut down quite a bit now that they released pricing that caught a lot of people off guard. I'm sure there were a ton of people that thought they could get 300mi for much less than $77k that it ultimately will cost them. What could offset that however, is Fleet orders, which Rivian does not have the benefit of.

Based on use and price point, I would consider total annual sales (once fully ramped) of 100k R1T/R1S to be exceptionally good, and closer to 75k is perhaps more realistic. That is in line with the planned capacity at Normal for those two vehicles, which is currently 65k plus whatever amount of the 50k expansion is for those vs. the delivery vans.
I'm not disagreeing about the annual sales numbers (which I hope will improve at Normal over the course of this year). But reservation and sales are two completely different things, as you just pointed out regarding Ford. Which I completely agree with. I would just like to see Rivian's reservation numbers grow. When they deliver, well, that's a different topic.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I'm not disagreeing about the annual sales numbers (which I hope will improve at Normal over the course of this year). But reservation and sales are two completely different things, as you just pointed out regarding Ford. Which I completely agree with. I would just like to see Rivian's reservation numbers grow. When they deliver, well, that's a different topic.
Is there any data to suggest that Rivian’s reservation numbers are not growing?

How ever which way you slice it the current need is revenue and that takes production/deliveries/sales. Rivian has plenty of pre orders at the moment.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I think it's honestly because there is less known about the. Rivian news is inextricably linked to a lot of Ford New and/or Amazon News so it's more talked about. Lucid is just making nice cars without as much scrutiny (or potential for profit though).
stock valuations for any ev company right now are little more than Twitter popularity contests. #provemewrong. It’s fashionable to hate Rivian and love lucid.

dirtdiver

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord Hybrid, F350, Volt
Occupation
Engineer
Im not overly concerned myself. Still a good truck, still a good CEO, still good mission statement. If I were CEO I would be telling the troop to ignore the chatter - focus on building the best truck you can - and start to pump out production! Focus on the fundamentals and let the market take care of itself.

Sponsored

dirtdiver

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord Hybrid, F350, Volt
Occupation
Engineer
The value we get with Rivian RT1 compered to the F150 Lightening is astounding. That won't be lost on the general public in the market for a truck.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
The value we get with Rivian RT1 compered to the F150 Lightening is astounding. That won't be lost on the general public in the market for a truck.
Yes and no. The public is stupid. They see the $39k f150 and the 70-80k r1 as competitors when most wouldn’t. I’ve seen it parroted by every news outlet

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
It's hard to watch the stock drop, but again always said this was a 3-5 year hold.

With all the speculation one thing I know through and through.

The R1T is the one of the fastest, best handling and most capable trucks ever built, not to mention incredibly luxurious and innovative on top of that.

Nothing to doubt there... Which is why I'm still waiting to get one.

? R! ? 1! ? T! ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m just biding my time. I made a few thousand on the IPO and I’ve kept that money ready to buy back in. It’s just a question of when. There is a lot I still like about this company.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
It's hard to watch the stock drop, but again always said this was a 3-5 year hold.

With all the speculation one thing I know through and through.

The R1T is the one of the fastest, best handling and most capable trucks ever built, not too mention incredibly luxurious and innovative on top of that.

Nothing to doubt there... Which is why I'm still waiting to get one.

? R! ? 1! ? T! ?
Which is not necessarily good for the stock price if margins are small or negative.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Is there a COO search?

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I think the reason Rivian was hit harder is because of the nature of their product. Their only product is a truck, they do not have a lineup that is endearing to many different slices of society.

How many people are going to buy the R1T to go rogue in the wild? How many are buying because it is a great vehicle that just happens to be a truck platform? How many are buying it because they need it for work?

The first 2 categories will remain constant, the third category is fluctuating like hell. For many reason, of course. The employment market hasn't recovered fully yet, price of materials is still higher than what we are used to, and is it really worth it to spend 40K more on a truck that just happens to be electric?

The last item, I know a lot of people will disagree on top of the hateful position Toyota have placed itself in with their slow EV adoption strategy, the newly announced Hybrid Tundra did catch the eyes of a lot of people who would usually look at Rams and F150s. There is a holding pattern as the MPG for the hybrid hasn't been released yet.

As a personal opinion based on the thoughts above, there is a lot of uncertainty in the demand for the pickup truck market, and a company that only sells them will struggle. I am no expert in the stock market, I barely started a month before Rivian IPO, so I guess i am trying to find excuses :)

Glongo

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Cayenne Hybrid; Sprinter
Occupation
Homebuilding
Is there a COO search?
My WAG: They will hire another Tesla employee to move up to COO in Rivian…. Then another lawsuit….
Sponsored