Sponsored

Data Logging - What kind of detail can we get out of these ?

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
One thing I've enjoyed about my Tesla X is the amount of data I can get out of it and log. It lets me build a picture of the few years of using it, and there are websites and self hosted tools you can put that the car's data is dumped into.

I can see where it's driven too, the AC Charging numbers, DC charging, etc. An example of a grafana dash of my X right this second is:

Rivian R1T R1S Data Logging - What kind of detail can we get out of these ? 1632323067468

This is from a grafana dashboard showing all the dat of my car. I can see battery level, charging info, software levels, range left, and a 24 hour window of what 'state' tis in (yellow is charging, purple driving, blue is idle and green is 'asleep')

My Chevy Bolt EV and Fiat 500E (EV) didn't have this info. Our new ID.4 isn't here yet (replacing the Fiat 500E) but I'm curious has there been any info on if we can log this info from the cellular connection the vehicles have.
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The developers of those apps are hacking tesla's datastream. The 3rd party app is pretending to be the official Tesla app and then logging the data that Tesla thinks it is sending the official app.

Tesla knows this is happening and and has chosen not to put a stop to it (by threatening developers with lawsuit or by changing the protocol). But this is not something that Tesla is actively enabling.

I would not be surprised if Rivian's datastream was equally easy to hack into. But we have no way of knowing if Rivian's lawyers will be as tolerant of this sort of activity as Tesla's have been.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm conflicted. Part of me likes to have "access" and I can appreciate the potential tools people could make... But I also want security.

Part of me hopes Rivian uses one-way cryptography (public/private key pair) for their vehicle-cloud communication.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I'm conflicted. Part of me likes to have "access" and I can appreciate the potential tools people could make... But I also want security.

Part of me hopes Rivian uses one-way cryptography (public/private key pair) for their vehicle-cloud communication.
I would hope they are just calling the APIs that the tesla app already calls. Then storing data and doing additional visualization. Basically impossible to prevent this.

If they are actually intercepting vehicle to tesla information, that'd be a big security flaw.

As you said, it should be encrypted, hopefully using hardware that can provide encryption and mutual authentication.

OP
OP
Trekkie

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd

You do have to log in with your tesla identity or provide the API key that you can easily generate, and all traffic is TLS 1.2 encrypted between endpoints. It's not like this is out there floating for anyone to see.

Sponsored

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

There are two levels of data logging:

First is API based, simply grabbing data published remotely, with about 100 pieces of data. This isn't hacking, but you granting access to a published API. Teslafi is spectacular at this and lets you incredibly in depth long term data. I can only hope Rivian allows the same for 3rd party services and apps. Great for seeing data on trips, charges, lifetime battery statistics, lifetime driving map, daily/weekly/monthly stats etc.

Second is direct onboard access to CAN or other network communications between all the devices, computers, motors in the vehicle. This is a whole new level, thousands and thousands of detailed signals, some 100x a second. Spectacular for figuring out how things tick, decisions and logic in the software and tuning, precise performance information, and detailed racing data. Popular using OBD dongles and phone apps, or full speed CAN loggers and offline analysis on a computer.

I've buried my nose deeply into these for years, and I really hope to do the same for Rivian as well. EVs are disney world for data nerds.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Tesla has no public API. Someone reverse engineered it. Someone will probably do the same for Rivian.

Rivee

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S LE Silver
I'm trying out ElectraFi from makers of TeslaFi. Tracks and displays your Rivian info like drives, charges, efficiency, battery usage, etc. They have a 2 month free trial at moment, plus get another 2 weeks free using attached link or code "Rivian" (code is case-sensitive with capital "R" if typing it in later)

https://www.electrafi.com/signupRivian.php?referred=Rivian
Sponsored

Last edited: