Sponsored

Dash vibrating/humming during charge

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I searched around and can't find any results. I had this happen before, and can't remember if I got a resolution.

We're currently charging and after 50%, it stepped down and started making a loud humming/vibration noise. Has anyone else experienced this? It's been a while since I've heard it, maybe last August, but it's definitely not the first time. I'm not concerned, just annoyed.

Edit: I just stopped charging and it ceased. Thoughts?

Sponsored

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I searched around and can't find any results. I had this happen before, and can't remember if I got a resolution.

We're currently charging and after 50%, it stepped down and started making a loud humming/vibration noise. Has anyone else experienced this? It's been a while since I've heard it, maybe last August, but it's definitely not the first time. I'm not concerned, just annoyed.

I have the same issue. But this was on the prior software version and haven't really tried to dcfc with the new version.

I brought it until the SC and also had wassym check it out on reddit (engineer who helps escalations in reddit). They said it was normal... But I had a ton of other issues that they seemed to focus more on, so not sure if they really looked at it extensively.

Super ghetto that the dash vibrates. It sounds like your car is about the take off!

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I will say, mine continued after dcfc for a few minutes, it didn't stop with charging.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I have the same issue. But this was on the prior software version and haven't really tried to dcfc with the new version.

I brought it until the SC and also had wassym check it out on reddit (engineer who helps escalations in reddit). They said it was normal... But I had a ton of other issues that they seemed to focus more on, so not sure if they really looked at it extensively.

Super ghetto that the dash vibrates. It sounds like your car is about the take off!
I think it's heat related, perhaps a cooling fan, only happens on 350kW chargers. We moved from a 150 getting 165 over to that one when someone left, it ramped up quickly to 212 but then dropped below 150 at 50%. We had trouble at a 350 earlier in the day, had to swap to a 150 and it held 160 till like 70% (we think?).

I'm gonna stick with EA 150s or ChargePoint 215s from now on. 350s cause too many problems and annoyances. I just need some Serenity Now...

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

We've only DC fast-charged twice on the way home from delivery a couple of months ago and our's sounded very loud similar to yours. In talking with Rivian, they think it's probably normal but wants to look at it.

Sponsored

TR1GGER

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I have the same issue. Usually turning off climate control while charging will get it to stop.
Just happened to me for the first time, and at a 350kw charger.

Turned off climate control and it stopped immediately.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It’s binaural beats to help you sleep, focus, pass your algebra exams…

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
first charge driving my R1T home it did this when preconditioning, thought to myself; wtf piece of junk did I buy, hasn't done it again since.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just happened to me for the first time, and at a 350kw charger.

Turned off climate control and it stopped immediately.
I quit using 350kW unless it's the only option, haven't had it happen again in a long time.

Sponsored

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

It's related to charging. I have the same problem sometimes, and in the same situation (in the later part of a fast charging session, usually accompanied by de-rating). For me it will also sometimes make this noise when preconditioning just before starting a DC fast charge.

I use the same trick that samso003 does: if you toggle the climate control on/off (or off/on), it will often trick the truck into turning off whatever is causing that noise, with no other consequences.

I still don't understand what it actually is; I assumed it was an HVAC compressor working too hard, but it seems to happen both when the battery is too hot, and when it is too cold (preconditioning).

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's related to charging. I have the same problem sometimes, and in the same situation (in the later part of a fast charging session, usually accompanied by de-rating). For me it will also sometimes make this noise when preconditioning just before starting a DC fast charge.

I use the same trick that samso003 does: if you toggle the climate control on/off (or off/on), it will often trick the truck into turning off whatever is causing that noise, with no other consequences.

I still don't understand what it actually is; I assumed it was an HVAC compressor working too hard, but it seems to happen both when the battery is too hot, and when it is too cold (preconditioning).
It is an HVAC pump mounted to the outside of the firewall kicking into "high gear". In addition to the behavior described, the pump has a pretty distinct rattle to it in my newest T Even when not running full bore.

I must say, that comments on how to "defeat" this behavior in this thread flabbergast me. You do understand that the vehicle is performing a much needed task (cooling the pack), I'm not sure why you would want to "defeat' it from doing so?

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Seems like it'd be simple enough to pop the frunk and verify more closely that the noise is coming from a compressor around the 12v battery area. Imo agreed - it's performing a necessary task, wouldn't worry about it too much.

My wife would probably enjoy it for sleeping - to mask the sound of my snoring, LOL. 🤪

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Seems like it'd be simple enough to pop the frunk and verify more closely that the noise is coming from a compressor around the 12v battery area. Imo agreed - it's performing a necessary task, wouldn't worry about it too much.

My wife would probably enjoy it for sleeping - to mask the sound of my snoring, LOL. 🤪
It is a very simple task, and that's exactly what I did lol.
😎👍

clockwork crane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I must say, that comments on how to "defeat" this behavior in this thread flabbergast me. You do understand that the vehicle is performing a much needed task (cooling the pack), I'm not sure why you would want to "defeat' it from doing so?
For cooling the pack, not usually. But sometimes preconditioning will kick in when I don't actually need it. For example, if I set a charging stop 30 minutes away, I don't want the dash to be buzzing for half an hour if it's only going to save me 4-5 minutes at the charger.
Sponsored