Sponsored

Dash cam options?

dotlinetriangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Forest Green / Black Mountain / 21”
Clubs

Until we get official dash cam options from Rivian, I think it’s a good idea to mount a DC-powered one. At least it’s pretty easy to run the cable down to the bottom center DC port as shown here, but can anyone test whether the port is switched when the truck is off? I want to avoid contributing to vampire drain if possible.

As for models, the Vantrue S1 looks like a reasonably high quality but affordable option. Does anyone else have a model they like?
Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
There was another post mentioning the 12V plug you are talking about under the dash is switched with the ignition; not constant power.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
As for models, the Vantrue S1 looks like a reasonably high quality but affordable option.

I have Vantrue N4 3 channel. It gives a front, rear, and inside view. Decent, although it does have limitations, the biggest being you cannot watch video onto phone/tablet via bluetooth or wifi. You have to watch on the camera or remove the card. But still, good unit.

Vantrue N4 on Amazon

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Until we get official dash cam options from Rivian, I think it’s a good idea to mount a DC-powered one. At least it’s pretty easy to run the cable down to the bottom center DC port as shown here, but can anyone test whether the port is switched when the truck is off? I want to avoid contributing to vampire drain if possible.

As for models, the Vantrue S1 looks like a reasonably high quality but affordable option. Does anyone else have a model they like?
cant you simply test by seeing if the camera turns off when the truck is off? or maybe use a voltmeter?

OP
OP
dotlinetriangle

dotlinetriangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Forest Green / Black Mountain / 21”
Clubs

I didn't have my truck yet at the time, but now I do! The camera's on its way, so I'll report back here once installed. :)

Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
the biggest being you cannot watch video onto phone/tablet via bluetooth or wifi. You have to watch on the camera or remove the card. But still, good unit.
Agree, being able to transfer a video to my phone in the car without taking a card out or hooking up a cable is a "make or break" feature for me, not uncommon in dash cams.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
The new Vantrue E1 looks pretty interesting, has wifi and bluetooth, just noticed it one of the deals site mentioned Amazon has a $30 coupon off the $150 list price. Really new, no reviews on amazon yet.

I have an ROAV (Anker) A1 dashcam, has worked fine, a few years old, don't think its available now.

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Looking at dash cams. With how these are mounted, doe they work if you have your windshield tinted?
Sponsored