• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 16, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 16, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.
  • RIVIANFORUMS CLUBS!

Announcing our new "CLUBS" section where you can join or create a Rivian club or group! You can use this new feature to conveniently plan and discuss local events, gatherings or other club/group related topics.

So we encourage you to join (or start) special-interest and regional-based Rivian clubs at: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/group-categories/clubs-groups.1/

Sponsored

California Dark Navigation Map

MVCA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y; 2019 Toyota Tacoma; SOLD 2021 VW I.D
Occupation
Retired
The map in my infotainment system seems to have gone to some sort of night mode and I can't seem to get out of it. The background is black, the street lines are a dark grey with street names being a brown. I checked the manual and could not find any info and as much as I hated to, I contacted CS who had me do another hard reset which just deleted all my settings and still left the map the same. He said he would create a service ticket for me, I told him to just add it to the other ten or so already on the list for the past two plus months... Value of a product is based on its' Customer Service.

If anyone here knows of a solution to this, please let me know.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
click the truck app on the infotainment, then the light tab, and there is a night mode switch.

OP
OP

MVCA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, will give it a try tomorrow.

Worst OEM Automotive Customer Experience I have had in my lifetime
1. Ford 1976
2. Chevrolet 1978
3. Rivian 2022

The above has been my personal experience, hope yours has been better :)

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

1. Ford 1976
2. Chevrolet 1978
3. Rivian 2022

Do explain...

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

1. Ford 1976
2. Chevrolet 1978
3. Rivian 2022

Mine has been good overall. They have some learning to do though for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MVCA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Without writing a long article let me do my best to explain.

After receiving a call about, the possible availability of my R1T Launch Edition in approximately 30 days, things started going downhill. Two months later I was still waiting to hear good news and all I was told about the delivery was "...sorry, I really don't know..." I finally received a text on a Friday night that my R1T had arrived, and an appointment had been setup for me to pick it up on Sunday. I found that hard to do since the banks were closed over the weekend, so I sent my Rivian Guide an email. My guide immediately replied on Saturday and told me that the text was an error and that my truck was not here yet. It was not until I started to make waves about individuals placing new orders and receiving vehicles did, they find one for me that was canceled by someone else, and it was located fourteen hours away from my home. I was told the vehicle was new, had passed pre-delivery inspection and had been loaded on a trailer truck and in route to my local Service Center.

Two weeks later still no truck and all my Guide could tell me was that he did not have an answer because Logistics handles transportation. He said that the truck was probably in route but that the truck had to make other stops first. After pressing for answers, turns out the truck was still in Oregon and was just about to be shipped to California. Once it arrived at the Service Center, they called and scheduled for an inhouse delivery two weeks later. When I asked why so long, they told me that it had to go through pre-inspection (again) and that other cars were ahead of mine. Once my truck arrived and we went through the usual training, we walked around looking for any issues. I immediately started to rub on the driver's door to remove some glue and the Delivery Agent looked at me and said "oh, that is a chip, it is already noted here, but don't worry, just call Customer Service and schedule an appointment to have it fixed". I asked why it was not fixed prior to delivery and he said "... I don't know ...". As we continued looking, we found the PPF pealing, a small dent and some scratches, again "don't worry". This was back on June 16th and I am still waiting, after many and I mean many calls and additional service requests on having to constantly reset the vehicle and infotainment issues. I finally got a call yesterday and they gave me an appointment for August 17th, believe me when I say that this appointment was given to me only after I told them that I was going to start telling people "what good is it to have a truck with problems if you can't get them fixed."

Now, let's talk about the worst purchase I made, Rivian Wall Charger. The charger arrived a month plus before the vehicle. I had my panel upgraded to 200 amps and had the EV cable ran approximately 50 feet to my garage. Once the truck arrived, the charger would not work unless you first set it up to the wi-fi ... OK, but it would not work. Electrician and I spent a good couple of hours, but no go. I spent another few hours on hold with Rivian to speak to someone, only to have them read the manual over and over to me. They finally told me they would have to have a Charging Team Member call me back. When I got a call back, we went through the whole check list all over again, he had me send him pictures and would call me back. Once he called back, he blamed my Electrician for using Aluminum wire, even though my Electrician compensated the wire size to allow for it. The voltage being received at the charger was correct, but according to Rivian the "manual" said you could not use it. We tried to explain that the feed to the home is Aluminum, so it does not matter if you run Copper from the panel to the charger since the main feed is Aluminum. Nope, unacceptable and insisted the problem was ours, we told him we would take the charger to the panel and run a short copper line to test. My Electrician was so ticked off that he tore out all of the Aluminum wiring and reran it with Cooper wire. Guess what, yep, same issue, but Rivian still fought me about sending a replacement unit. After a few more calls a replacement was sent, plugged in and it worked just fine, but why did we have to go through such a hassle and expense to prove to them that they had a defective unit. It works, but the information you receive on the App is poor. You are better off buying a Tesla Charger or equal that will charge your vehicle the same and give you more features.

Sorry Rivian, service sucks

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Once he called back, he blamed my Electrician for using Aluminum wire, even though my Electrician compensated the wire size to allow for it. The voltage being received at the charger was correct, but according to Rivian the "manual" said you could not use it. We tried to explain that the feed to the home is Aluminum, so it does not matter if you run Copper from the panel to the charger since the main feed is Aluminum. Nope, unacceptable and insisted the problem was ours, we told him we would take the charger to the panel and run a short copper line to test. My Electrician was so ticked off that he tore out all of the Aluminum wiring and reran it with Cooper wire. Guess what, yep, same issue, but Rivian still fought me about sending a replacement unit. After a few more calls a replacement was sent, plugged in and it worked just fine, but why did we have to go through such a hassle and expense to prove to them that they had a defective unit.
There are at least two different issues there.

I'll start by saying that aluminum vs. copper wouldn't have affected whether the charger "worked" in the short term -- and that shouldn't have factored into their evaluation of whether the unit was defective.

However, I'll also say that using aluminum wiring on devices that are not rated for it is dangerous. Your electrician should not have used aluminum wiring -- and I'd be quite concerned that they did so. This isn't simply a matter of "sizing-up" to handle the current. Aluminum expands/contracts more than copper, and it is a fire risk to use aluminum wiring with terminals/devices not rated for it. EVSEs pull a decent amount of current and for hours at a time, so heat & expansion/contraction are real concerns.

Hope your experience is better, going forward. At least with copper wiring your home should be safer.

OP
OP

MVCA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I could write a book, but let me try to keep it brief :giggle:

I received call asking me what was up with my order. Surprised by the question, I replied that I have been waiting for about two years for a call. Was told that if I was still interested, he could get me in one possibly in thirty days or so.

I was in the middle of starting to look for a new home, so timing was not the best, but I went ahead and completed the balance of the paperwork, sold my 2022 VW ID.4 and waited for a call. After a month or so, contacted Guide and asked about my truck, was told he would check and came back with an "I don't have an answer for you". I continued to check the following weeks and got the same answer. I started to put pressure on him and ask why people who were just placing new orders were getting trucks in a month and some of us who ordered Launch Editions two years plus ago were still waiting. Received same response, "Sorry, I don't have an answer for you".
I get a text on a Friday night telling me that my car is at the Local Service Center ready for pickup on Sunday afternoon. Not sure how I am going to get loan documents on a weekend, so I send my Guide an email. I hear back on Saturday morning, telling me that my vehicle is not in and that was an error, but that he was working on finding me one. Later that week, Guide calls and tells me that he has found a brand-new vehicle with my specification that has passed pre-inspection in Oregon (fourteen hours away) due to a cancelation and is on its way to my Service Center in California.

After a week I am calling Guide about my truck and he is telling me that he does not know, that "Logistics" handles that and he does not have access to their information but that the truck had left Oregon. I reminded him that it was only a fourteen-hour trip, but he said that it was possible that they stop at different locations to pick up other vehicles since they use a common carrier. The following week I call again trying to get status and he said he would check for me.
I finally get a call back a few days later from Service Center to schedule a home delivery about ten days out since the car had to go through pre-delivery inspection. I questioned the pre-inspection since it had one in Oregon, but he said that they had to inspect all vehicles that came into the Service Center.

Finally, R1T arrives on time, we spend time learning about it and check it over. Oops it has a chip, "no worries" says the Delivery Agent, it is noted on the paperwork and all I need to do is call in to set up for an appointment to have it fixed along with any other issues that I may find. He did mention to call in about any cosmetic issues right away, otherwise it might be a problem. As we continued to walk around, I noticed the PPF peeling from the Tunnel and again, was told not to worry, that a work around kit was available at the Service Center and they could put it on when I made the appointment. I found the vehicle to have several scratches and a slight dent above the rear side area. Why these issues were not taken care of before delivery either in Oregon or my local Service Center was beyond me.

I called to make an appointment for these issues back on June 16th and no appointment. I keep calling back to add other problems like continues vehicle resets and infotainment audio issues and no call backs. I finally told them that I was going to be their worst customer by complaining about their service and I got five or six calls about my issues but no appointment, until yesterday. They have EXPEDITED my truck for a service appointment for mid August. The irony of all this, is that most of this work is going to be subcontracted out, because Rivian does not do body work from what I have been told.
click the truck app on the infotainment, then the light tab, and there is a night mode switch.
There are at least two different issues there.

I'll start by saying that aluminum vs. copper wouldn't have affected whether the charger "worked" in the short term -- and that shouldn't have factored into their evaluation of whether the unit was defective.

However, I'll also say that using aluminum wiring on devices that are not rated for it is dangerous. Your electrician should not have used aluminum wiring -- and I'd be quite concerned that they did so. This isn't simply a matter of "sizing-up" to handle the current. Aluminum expands/contracts more than copper, and it is a fire risk to use aluminum wiring with terminals/devices not rated for it. EVSEs pull a decent amount of current and for hours at a time, so heat & expansion/contraction are real concerns.

Hope your experience is better, going forward. At least with copper wiring your home should be safer.

OP
OP

MVCA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the info, I am not an electrician, so I wont disagree with you on this, learn something new all the time. Does it matter if the main in Aluminum to start with? The issue was really that it would not connect at all and had nothing to do with power at the time. After all the time and effort spent on the phone by Rivian and us, sending a replacement would have been the smart thing to do in my opinion.

Now let me ask you a completely different related question. Rivian tells you not to use a pigtail, but what is the difference if you run the cable directly or run a pigtail from the feed?

Sponsored

OP
OP

MVCA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thank you, it worked. Wish I would have posted for help here first. Rivian had me on the phone for at least 20 min and I kept asking if there was a day night switch but he said no. He finally added a trouble ticket for me to my August 17th date. lol

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

You're missing the dissimilar metals problem. Using Aluminum with equipment not rated for it can lead to corrosion which increases the resistance at the connection points and can lead to a fire. It's not strictly the expansion/contraction that's the problem.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thank you, it worked. Wish I would have posted for help here first. Rivian had me on the phone for at least 20 min and I kept asking if there was a day night switch but he said no. He finally added a trouble ticket for me to my August 17th date. lol
The in-vehicle manual works pretty well for being able to find features you think should exist.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

It’s too late now, but I’m curious if your first charging unit had what seems to be a fairly common problem highlighted here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/rivian-wall-charger-issues.5437/#post-177846

Easy fix, if you know what to look for. My guess is that Rivian’s customer service team may not be aware of the charger issue but hopefully their supplier gets it figured out and saves a lot of people the headache.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You're missing the dissimilar metals problem. Using Aluminum with equipment not rated for it can lead to corrosion which increases the resistance at the connection points and can lead to a fire. It's not strictly the expansion/contraction that's the problem.
Sure. The point is don't use aluminum where it isn't supported.
Sponsored