First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Not even close to 20k the absolute most you can hope to get out of a diminished value claim is 10% of the market value of the car. Theres a hard cap. Realistically this is about $6000-7500 in diminished. But the point is moot bc the car will be totaled and you don't get DV on a totaled car
I think the thresholds and DM limits vary by state, and I thought I was clear that "Totaled" is the best outcome, and if not, soak them for DM (on a repaired truck).
Sponsored

HarisonAltDelete

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I think the thresholds and DM limits vary by state, and I thought I was clear that "Totaled" is the best outcome, and if not, soak them for DM (on a repaired truck).
Whether you're entitled to DV varies by state, but fornthe value of the DV there's an equation that insurance companies use nationally to determine. It starts out at 10% of the cars value assuming no miles and max damage and then lowers from there

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Whether you're entitled to DV varies by state, but fornthe value of the DV there's an equation that insurance companies use nationally to determine. It starts out at 10% of the cars value assuming no miles and max damage and then lowers from there
I suspect each insurance company has a different starting point, but also the risk they face, case by case. For example… I NEVER settle the personal injury side until AFTER the personal property claim is settled and done.

In this case, the insurer of the Civic driver is shaking in their boots as their insured “rear-ended,” squarely, the OP. That gives them (the IP) enormous leverage over that insurance company and their arbitrary “starting point”. Involve a lawyer and it can go even further.

Last edited:

willpollock

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Website
CrankyYank.com
Vehicles
2010 BMW E60 528i
Occupation
Writer & RE Investor
glad everyone's safe and I'm also thankful for useful advice from commenters (eg: diminished value) I was unaware of. I'm curious, OP: did you even know you'd been rear-ended? in your description I was getting the sense you didn't immediately know you were hit, which would be interesting/understandable given what a beast the R1s are compared to that Civic.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

As someone who's been rear ended multiple times, just wanted to say glad you're all okay, and your backs, and the dog. Feels like no one pays attention on the roads anymore. Our collision centers are packed and waitlists for new vehicles are insurmountably long, as well as the sky-high insurance rates, are all just part of the side effects.

That said, the damage reminds me of the time the driver of a 1992 Honda Accord blew through a stop sign right in front of my 1972 Buick Electra. Hit her dead in the side at 35 mph. The Honda was bent like a V and totaled. My Buick had a little softball size dent in the front-right corner; the other person's insurance gave me $800 for it. I only paid $1k for the car so it counted as a win. Kept that Buick going for many years, finally sold it on eBay to someone in Germany. It got a full frame-off restoration and is still cruising the Autobahn today. 😊

Best of luck, hope your truck isn't totaled.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Billybobgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
glad everyone's safe and I'm also thankful for useful advice from commenters (eg: diminished value) I was unaware of. I'm curious, OP: did you even know you'd been rear-ended? in your description I was getting the sense you didn't immediately know you were hit, which would be interesting/understandable given what a beast the R1s are compared to that Civic.
I didn't realize I was hit until a few seconds later when I started to see smoke and then noticed the blue of the civic in rear view mirror. I can say that from rear impacts you probably have no fear thanks to the beefy nature of the R1T.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
Glad no one was hurt and interactions were civil. It must be enormously frustrating to have this happen so soon after taking ownership. Hope it all gets resolved properly for you.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I suspect each insurance company has a different starting point, but also the risk they face, case by case. For example… I NEVER settle the personal injury side until AFTER the personal property claim is settled and done.

In this case, the insurer of the Civic driver is shaking in their boots as their insured “rear-ended,” squarely, the OP. That gives them (the IP) enormous leverage over that insurance company and their arbitrary “starting point”. Involve a lawyer and it can go even further.
Yup, all OP needs to do is say something like "You know what, my back really hurts ever since that accident. Maybe I should go get that checked out". If you have to play the game so you don't get screwed OP make sure you do. Hopefully the insurance companies involved won't leave you hung out to dry but just be wary of them not making you whole.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yup, all OP needs to do is say something like "You know what, my back really hurts ever since that accident. Maybe I should go get that checked out". If you have to play the game so you don't get screwed OP make sure you do. Hopefully the insurance companies involved won't leave you hung out to dry but just be wary of them not making you whole.
Exactly. And never say you are “fine” early on, as whiplash is known to appear many days after the rear end job.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Sucks because here in Florida even if you’re not at fault your insurance premium will increase by a lot. Glad everyone’s ok though.
That's not correct. Florida is a "no fault" state. If your insurance company doesn't have to pay out for repairs from an accident, your insurance premium cannot go up as a result of an accident.

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Unlike most, I doubt this is totaled. The Civic submarined under the R1T, and never made bumper-to-bumper contact, so frame damage is unlikely. The Civic's mushy parts made contact with the trucks bumper, hence barely feeling anything. With Florida's 80% damage-to-value threshold, I just don't see it happening. Say the truck is worth $80k, they'd required $64k of damage before totaling it, and I just don't see that as the battery should be fine, and the frame should be fine.

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

That's not correct. Florida is a "no fault" state. If your insurance company doesn't have to pay out for repairs from an accident, your insurance premium cannot go up as a result of an accident.
With all the insurance fraud going on down here I’ve seen people’s rates going up after accident. They don’t tell you it’s a result of the previous accident you had that’s where they get you. When your premium is up your next one goes a lot higher. Sure we don’t pay state tax but we pay double or triple in auto insurance.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Unlike most, I doubt this is totaled. The Civic submarined under the R1T, and never made bumper-to-bumper contact, so frame damage is unlikely. The Civic's mushy parts made contact with the trucks bumper, hence barely feeling anything. With Florida's 80% damage-to-value threshold, I just don't see it happening. Say the truck is worth $80k, they'd required $64k of damage before totaling it, and I just don't see that as the battery should be fine, and the frame should be fine.
I think the frame is bent based upon the bulge in the bed. And the Civic didn't really go completely under the truck. Look at the way the hood folded ...you can see how the impact happened. I think Rivian's tiny little rear bumper didn't help much here to prevent more damage from occuring. I guess we'll see if the frame is in fact bent. If it is, I think the vehicle will be a total loss.

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
Turns out 7k lb truck wins vs Civic. Three weeks into ownership and loving the truck so far. Was on the way home yesterday and stopped at a red light. After turning green started to accelerate when felt a slight lurch forward and a bunch of lights go on the dash. The lights went away and I started to look around and find out what happened. Started to see smoke and then noticed a little bit of blue sticking up above the tailgate.

Turns out the blue was a Honda Civic that had hit dead center of the rear of the truck probably around 20 to 30 MPH. No airbags for me with Civic owners going off. Everyone was safe and no injuries.

After all reports got filled out I was still able to drive the truck home with only a few warnings about sensors being out. Insurance claim has been started with USAA so we'll see how this goes. I live in NW Florida so nearest service center is Atlanta. Hopefully that doesn't complicate things to much. Please see the attached photos and I'll be sure to update through the process.

On a good note the other owner had an adorable American bulldog that was perfectly safe but enjoyed making friends after. Send any questions my way.

Update #1: Claim with my insurance has gone in. Won't continue the process unless other vehicle company picks a fight with me. Have contacted the insurance of the at fault vehicle. Still waiting to hear back, but I know a claim was entered by the other driver because I have an agents number. Fun times had by all.

PXL_20230318_213904835.jpg
PXL_20230318_213628348.jpg
PXL_20230318_213616976.jpg
PXL_20230318_213633973.jpg
PXL_20230318_213642605.jpg
PXL_20230318_213648651.jpg
PXL_20230318_213703880.jpg
Other car looks bad! Good thing no human or cute animal was harmed. Hope the insurance process and all goes well.

Step Brady

First Name
Step
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 TT, Ford Expedition L
It may be cheaper to fix the Honda, though. Your Rivian, if repairable (many companies will total an EV than try to repair them). If totaled, it costs you 20% more and years wait; if not total, you just lost about 20% of its value by having an accident on the carfax. Sad to hear; what a pain in the rear.
Sponsored