Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@jakef801
I would agree the bed areas are not durable if used as a work truck. In Rivians defense I think they prioritized allotting weight and cost on things that make the truck "adventurous" not a work truck. Hopefully this can be repaired fairly easily and we have all learned that we need to secure loads in the bed (everywhere for that matter).
Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I doubt it was affected. If you watch the Munro video where they go over the tonneau design, you can see it's only on the top half of that section and the bottom half is the top of the gear tunnel. If anything check inside that.
I just looked in gear tunnel (pulled of felt panel). There is a thin metal plate between the gear tunnel and the plastic truck bed, so I was unable to attempt forcing it back into place. FWIW, be careful loading your gear tunnel! There's a large junction box right behind the soft felt panel with tons of wires/connectors. If things like snowboards, tools, etc. are stuffed in there, they could easily damage the box, connectors, wiring.

Oh well, moving on...out of sight (sort of), out of mind. I'll go on fretting about there not being a yellow compass logo on my new AW floor mats. ;)

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
That entire front panel is plastic and can be easily replaced.

I’ve pulled mine off a few time to mount L track.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Always secure your loads. Always. Come on people. Imagine if your tailgate failed and that heavy toolbox slid out the back on the freeway at 70mph. You'd have killed people.

Always secure your load.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Always secure your loads. Always. Come on people. Imagine if your tailgate failed and that heavy toolbox slid out the back on the freeway at 70mph. You'd have killed people.

Always secure your load.
I totally agree, this was an emergency situation at one of my rentals and I had to throw everything in and run. Not making excuses on this matter. Regardless, this level of damage should not have happened from this occurrence.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Oh look, comments blaming OP. As they say in other forums, "victim blaming". A truck should be able to do truck things. I've had toolboxes slide around in my Chevy for 200,000 miles and never had this kind of damage. Hard to judge scale from the picture but what could that toolbox weigh? Maybe 20-30 lbs., at most? Seems like he's taking it in stride, but is still very disappointing. 😥

I'm still holding out that someone will release an EV work truck sometime in the next year or so. 😉🤞

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
Rivian really missed the mark with the thin, slippery plastic they used in the bed. I am not a materials expert, but given the attention to detail and over engineering in so many other locations, I have to believe they could have found a more robust and slip resistant material to use.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Yep, my bed is getting well used and scuffed. But... it's a truck and that's what happens. I wish it was not slippery plastic, but I will deal with it.

Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some

Always secure your load.
lol. What?

I'm 100% onboard with securing loads, but suggesting that people need redundancy in case their vehicle fails is kinda ridiculous. I can pretty much guarantee you that almost no tradespeople are going to be making sure that even if their tailgate opens, their load remains in place. That's not reasonable. If tailgates are failing, that's on Rivian. That'd be a recall. Do you also tie every load down in the back of an SUV in case the hatch opens? 🙄

Last edited:

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
lol. What?

I'm 100% onboard with securing loads, but suggesting that people need redundancy in case their vehicle fail is kinda ridiculous. I can pretty much guarantee you that almost no tradespeople are going to be making sure that even if their tailgate opens, their load remains in place. That's not reasonable. If tailgates are failing, that's on Rivian. That'd be a recall. Do you also tie every load down in the back of an SUV in case the hatch opens? 🙄
Yes, every load of any size in any vehicle I carry it in gets secured by redundant mechanisms so I can ensure I'm not the asshole that killed someone because I think a situation is unlikely.

I'm not going to change my opinion on this - always secure your loads. Your convenience is not worth even one single human life, so get over yourself, spend the extra 3 minutes, and make sure you're not going to kill someone. There are hundreds of ways and scenarios an unsecured load, in ANY vehicle, can be a danger.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Oh look, comments blaming OP. As they say in other forums, "victim blaming". A truck should be able to do truck things. I've had toolboxes slide around in my Chevy for 200,000 miles and never had this kind of damage. Hard to judge scale from the picture but what could that toolbox weigh? Maybe 20-30 lbs., at most? Seems like he's taking it in stride, but is still very disappointing. 😥

I'm still holding out that someone will release an EV work truck sometime in the next year or so. 😉🤞
Was thinking the same thing....the apologist come out in full force.

Maybe the theme is expensive "luxury" trucks aren't supposed to be treated like regular work trucks, otherwise they dent. I guess I'll keep my Chevy, I can use that for work AND tow.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
As requested...

20221026_105203.jpg
Wow. I probably would have thrown this in the back as well without thinking. Lesson learned. Throw it in the gear tunnel or backseat, or tie it down.