Chris
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
What if I want to drive both before making my decision?

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, will be ordering R1S
60 seems more reasonable. Altogether a couple hundred early production units will likely be produced, not only for all sorts of testing, supplier and parts assembly validation, local use, but also for dispersing units to 41 service centers.
I was told back in February that there would be a test drive fleet of 60 vehicles. Possibly coincidence, maybe not.

R1Simon

Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
It sounded like he said there are 2 consumer vehicles and 2 Amazon vehicles, so this variant would be the second Amazon variant.
I thought I heard him say it would be a consumer variant of the Amazon van. Which checks out with Rivian trademarking R1V and R2X. Figured a van was right around the corner.

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicles
r1t
I thought I heard him say it would be a consumer variant of the Amazon van. Which checks out with Rivian trademarking R1V and R2X. Figured a van was right around the corner.
This seems very likely- they can't have Alex Honnold as a spokesperson unless they have a van for him.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
Didn't see this posted yet. Daily Drive podcast interviews RJ. A few significant tidbits.
  • Have done several production pilot runs. Currently in the middle of 16 vehicle pilot run (might have said 60, but 16 seems more likely)
  • Still on track for a Q2 launch
  • Mentions another vehicle variant expected to be launched in the first 12 months
  • Confirms they'll be launching their own insurance options/platform
  • Test drives will come to your home
  • Launching 41 physical service centers in the next 9 months - plus mobile service
  • Doesn't talk to Elon...ever :)

Podcast link: https://www.autonews.com/weekend-dr...mber-10-2020-rj-scaringe-rivians-ev-ambitions
Here’s the article written about the podcast.

https://www.autonews.com/service/rivian-will-offer-2-ways-customers-get-vehicles-fixed

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
Once again, RJ impresses. To use a sports analogy, he's a generational talent. Like a number of first generation founders - I'm thinking Henry Ford, Alfred Sloan (not really a founder but the man who built GM into what it would become) and Elon Musk - his imprint will be felt by Rivian for decades to come.

Advertisement

Advertisement