cohall

Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Volvo XC60, Ducati SC1000
Didn't see this posted yet. Daily Drive podcast interviews RJ. A few significant tidbits.
  • Have done several production pilot runs. Currently in the middle of 16 vehicle pilot run (might have said 60, but 16 seems more likely)
  • Still on track for a Q2 launch
  • Mentions another vehicle variant expected to be launched in the first 12 months
  • Confirms they'll be launching their own insurance options/platform
  • Test drives will come to your home
  • Launching 41 physical service centers in the next 9 months - plus mobile service
  • Doesn't talk to Elon...ever :)

Podcast link: https://www.autonews.com/weekend-dr...mber-10-2020-rj-scaringe-rivians-ev-ambitions

Last edited by a moderator:

jarross

First Name
John
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicles
Subaru Forester XT, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Pharmacist
Thanks for sharing that, it was interesting to hear!

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
I wonder how they are going to do test drives at our home? That seems like a lot and I’m guessing all of us are very spaced out.

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Hope they bring it up here for my test drive before the winter is over

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Reaction score
First Name
rod
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
just gimme the truck and have a service center somewhere close please.... also please make it affordable and more street friendly

don't care about test drive or insurance (unless it's cheaper than mine at 500/ 6 months)

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
just gimme the truck and have a service center somewhere close please.... also please make it affordable and more street friendly

don't care about test drive or insurance (unless it's cheaper than mine at 500/ 6 months)
More street friendly? It’s pretty street friendly as is.

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Reaction score
First Name
rod
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
i mean lower the suspension, and get more performance orientated tires..... i'll hardly, if ever go off road like all the ads promote

Jehorton

First Name
James
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Occupation
Firefighter
i mean lower the suspension, and get more performance orientated tires..... i'll hardly, if ever go off road like all the ads promote
You can opt for street tires if you want. And the whole suspension can lower itself. what more could you want

OP
C

cohall

Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Volvo XC60, Ducati SC1000
I wonder how they are going to do test drives at our home? That seems like a lot and I’m guessing all of us are very spaced out.
My guess is that the at-home test drives will only be available if you're within a certain distance of a major metro area. Otherwise, you'll have to make your way to the closest major city to test drive.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicles
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky
Occupation
Engineer
My guess is that the at-home test drives will only be available if you're within a certain distance of a major metro area. Otherwise, you'll have to make your way to the closest major city to test drive.
That seems right, I know there are a few of us from the Phoenix area on the forum, so we should get a local test drive.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
Launching 41 physical service centers in the next 9 months - plus mobile service
I was surprised to hear they won’t be using Cox for servicing the vehicles.

thrill

First Name
billy
Reaction score
First Name
billy
Vehicles
i3s, z4m, hp4, (r1t)
I suspect Cox suffers the same problems all entrenched businesses do - an inability to compete in new low-margin areas when they've built a business around just the opposite. Service of well-built EVs is likely to mostly consist of replacing small things such as washer pumps, headlamps, etc., and can be done in your driveway. Anything more major is likely to be handled by someone delivering a loaner vehicle while the problem is towed to one of those 40+ major service centers.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagon; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2009 Toyota Prius
I listened twice to RJ comments on early production units and, the first time, I thought he said 16. The second time, however, I thought he said 60.

60 seems more reasonable. Altogether a couple hundred early production units will likely be produced, not only for all sorts of testing, supplier and parts assembly validation, local use, but also for dispersing units to 41 service centers.

As for the number of service centers cited, it made me wonder about the number of major metropolitan areas. There are 53 so-called major metropolitan areas. Number 30 on the list is greater Milwaukee with about 2 million folks. So, in one possible scenario, Rivian could have service centers in 30 major metro regions, and double up in the top ten metro regions. Or, one each in the top 25, double up in the top ten, and triple up in the top five.

41 service centers seems way too few, but straight out of the gate, it's a good start. Presumably, more will be added.

Interestingly, the largest metro areas lost population during the last five years of the decade, 2015-2019, while medium and smaller metro areas have grown. About 13% of the population resides in areas not included in major metro areas.

Pherdnut

Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Honda Civic EX - way overdue for upgrade
I just assumed Cox's network would be the backbone of their mobile service. Being able to reach remote areas is critical to their market. If Cox weren't a piece of that, they wouldn't have dropped Mexico.

Advertisement

Advertisement