First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Those are nice features for sure. But will also keep pushing that price up. Musk recently made comments that sounded like they were planting the seeds for people to expect it to cost more than previously hinted.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Yes, very cool!!!

I heard rumors that if you cancel your R1 order immediately and show proof to Elon, you can move to the front of the line for a Cyber!

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Is there any feature Elon won't copy from other manufacturer's to keep the reservations? Stop messing with people's heads and produce something dude.

That is one of my most wanted features since I saw Avalanche. The reason I switched to R1S and dropped R1T in absence of Silverado availability and pricing for mid trims.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Those are nice features for sure. But will also keep pushing that price up. Musk recently made comments that sounded like they were planting the seeds for people to expect it to cost more than previously hinted.
Hinted?
Is there any feature Elon won't copy from other manufacturer's to keep the reservations? Stop messing with people's heads and produce something dude.

That is one of my most wanted features since I saw Avalanche. The reason I switched to R1S and dropped R1T in absence of Silverado availability and pricing for mid trims.
I joked about this when ue said it would be a quad motor quad wheel drive. If I were the CEO of another company I'd say we are making vehicles with absurd specs just to troll him and take advantage of his ego to watch him try to make Tesla match them. You know, like they failed to match Lucid on range and cancelled plaid+ and didn't deliver on range.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Hinted?

I joked about this when ue said it would be a quad motor quad wheel drive. If I were the CEO of another company I'd say we are making vehicles with absurd specs just to troll him and take advantage of his ego to watch him try to make Tesla match them. You know, like they failed to match Lucid on range and cancelled plaid+ and didn't deliver on range.
He messed with other companies too. His $40K CT, forced both GM and Ford to announce a $40K truck. I am not sure if any of them really mean it.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Hinted?

I read this yesterday. My translation is: ā€œwe added a bunch of new tech to it and although we are trying to keep it affordable you should prepare for the oppositeā€œ LOL

At the Q4 2021 earnings call, Elon Musk noted that Tesla introduced a lot of new technology to the Cybertruck. He stated that the pickup would probably be ready for production by 2023, but Tesla still needs to work on some of the new technology in the Cybertruck. Musk also shared that Tesla was thinking about the Cybertruckā€™s average costs, in terms of it affordability.

ā€œYou can make something infinitely desirable, but if itā€™s not affordable, that will constrain peopleā€™s ability to buy it because they donā€™t have the money.I worry more about like how do we the Cybertruck affordable despite having awesome technology. Thatā€™s the thing that will really set the rate,ā€ said Musk.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-gigafactory-texas-cyber-rodeo/

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
Even back when CT was originally unveiled, the $69K for the tri-motor top version was the base price for that configuration with a "fully loaded" truck potentially costing upwards of $100K. I don't think a whole lot has changed on the pricing front although it seems tri-motor may no longer be a thing and the truck is dual or quad motor now. I guess we'll see... I'm expecting some price increase overall just like everything else out there. I bet they still price match the base model at $40K still just like Lightning and E-Silverado. And just like Ford/GM, those base models will be scarce and/or come late to the party.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I bet they still price match the base model at $40K still just like Lightning and E-Silverado. And just like Ford/GM, those base models will be scarce and/or come late to the party.
I'd take that bet. Tesla doesn't sell a $40k model 3 with 250 miles of range. We think they can sell a $40k truck with 2X the batteries and is significantly larger? I don't. It screws up their entire lineup costs.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
I'd take that bet. Tesla doesn't sell a $40k model 3 with 250 miles of range. We think they can sell a $40k truck with 2X the batteries and is significantly larger? I don't. It screws up their entire lineup costs.
Sir, please stop using facts and logic...

I agree it doesn't make sense. Didn't make any sense when they announced it the first time. However, I think they'll have to make a serious effort to match the entry-level offerings from Ford and GM if they want to make any headway in the truck market beyond the Tesla fanboy segment. Even if it's only a limited and late availability offering more for marketing. Just like the $35K Model 3 was. When it finally showed up to the party, those who were trying to hold out for it had already moved on. It was a crippled offering and few bought it. Then they pulled it aside as an off-menu config for a while, then gone. All the while saying that no one actually wanted it.

On the flip side, look what Ford has done with the $39K Lightning Pro. It's a mythical unicorn for the most part. I think they're only going to make about 400 of them in '22, just to say they did it. But they'll be alright with the premiums they charged on all the other trims.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Even back when CT was originally unveiled, the $69K for the tri-motor top version was the base price for that configuration with a "fully loaded" truck potentially costing upwards of $100K. I don't think a whole lot has changed on the pricing front although it seems tri-motor may no longer be a thing and the truck is dual or quad motor now. I guess we'll see... I'm expecting some price increase overall just like everything else out there. I bet they still price match the base model at $40K still just like Lightning and E-Silverado. And just like Ford/GM, those base models will be scarce and/or come late to the party.
It would be totally fair for Tesla to pass along the increased costs that every other manufacturer has recently. I could be wrong, but it feels like Tesla has never actually sold the lower priced version of any vehicle they initially announce. They announce it, say it will ā€œcome laterā€. Meanwhile they sell a bunch of the mid/ higher priced models and by the time they *should* release that lower priced version they can say itā€™s not possible anymore because of increased costs.

I think there is literally zero chance they ever offer a $40k Cybertruck. Itā€™s bigger, has a bunch more batteries and more exterior features than any vehicle they have attempted to make before. They canā€™t make/ sell that for a price heā€™s never been able to sell one of their cars forā€¦ If they do it I would be shocked.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

At this point, I half expect Canoo will be producing trucks before Tesla is.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler