Sponsored

Cybertruck reveals new triangle mirrors (removable) in Palo Alto sighting 📸🎥 (video)

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Tesla’s Pickup Truck Is Coming Soon. Maybe.

"But the Cybertruck is so behind schedule that some auto experts wonder if it has become another example of Mr. Musk’s penchant for pushing technological boundaries to the brink of disaster. In 2018, his determination to build a highly automated assembly line for the Model 3 sedan led to “production hell” and nearly killed the company before he opted for more standard manufacturing practices."

“Musk is an example of how the fetishization of tech start-ups and their leaders can eventually lead those leaders to making bad decisions,” Patrick McQuown, executive director of entrepreneurship at Towson University in Maryland, said in an email. “To me, the insistence on stainless steel is a manifestation of his belief that he has some unique understanding of the market, and that the market will buy whatever he offers because it comes from the mind of Elon Musk.”

"Buyers are clamoring for electric trucks. Ford stopped taking reservations for its F-150 Lightning, a battery-powered version of the best-selling vehicle, because it can’t make the vehicles fast enough. Rivian, a newer electric vehicle company, is also struggling to produce enough of its pickup, the R1T, to meet demand.

G.M.’s GMC division is selling a Hummer pickup truck, but in relatively small numbers. And Chevrolet is expected to begin delivering an electric Silverado this year. Ram has said it will release a battery-powered 1500 truck next year.

“The first-mover advantage that Tesla could have leveraged has completely gone away,” Mr. Rajkumar said. “It’s a massive opportunity lost.”

Tesla has shared virtually no details about how it will overcome the challenges of working with stainless steel, which include safety. The steel used in most cars is designed to crumple in a crash, absorbing energy and protecting passengers. Stainless steel does not crumple as easily, exposing passengers to more of the force from impact."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/06/business/teslas-cybertruck-pickup-stainless-steel.html
Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T

"But the Cybertruck is so behind schedule that some auto experts wonder if it has become another example of Mr. Musk’s penchant for pushing technological boundaries to the brink of disaster. In 2018, his determination to build a highly automated assembly line for the Model 3 sedan led to “production hell” and nearly killed the company before he opted for more standard manufacturing practices."

“Musk is an example of how the fetishization of tech start-ups and their leaders can eventually lead those leaders to making bad decisions,” Patrick McQuown, executive director of entrepreneurship at Towson University in Maryland, said in an email. “To me, the insistence on stainless steel is a manifestation of his belief that he has some unique understanding of the market, and that the market will buy whatever he offers because it comes from the mind of Elon Musk.”

"Buyers are clamoring for electric trucks. Ford stopped taking reservations for its F-150 Lightning, a battery-powered version of the best-selling vehicle, because it can’t make the vehicles fast enough. Rivian, a newer electric vehicle company, is also struggling to produce enough of its pickup, the R1T, to meet demand.

G.M.’s GMC division is selling a Hummer pickup truck, but in relatively small numbers. And Chevrolet is expected to begin delivering an electric Silverado this year. Ram has said it will release a battery-powered 1500 truck next year.

“The first-mover advantage that Tesla could have leveraged has completely gone away,” Mr. Rajkumar said. “It’s a massive opportunity lost.”

Tesla has shared virtually no details about how it will overcome the challenges of working with stainless steel, which include safety. The steel used in most cars is designed to crumple in a crash, absorbing energy and protecting passengers. Stainless steel does not crumple as easily, exposing passengers to more of the force from impact."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/06/business/teslas-cybertruck-pickup-stainless-steel.html
Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck reveals new triangle mirrors (removable) in Palo Alto sighting 📸🎥 (video) 1675716490997

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Mirrors are removable by owner = cameras act as side view mirrors like in all Tesla’s now.
And people in message boards are saying they'll remove theirs immediately. I'll bet there's no way that feature makes it to the final version because of regulatory issues.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
And people in message boards are saying they'll remove theirs immediately. I'll bet there's no way that feature makes it to the final version because of regulatory issues.
I can remove all the mirrors on every car I have ever owned.

Removal will require a tool or the CT mirrors would be gone in ten minutes after parking in a public place

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I can remove all the mirrors on every car I have ever owned.

Removal will require a tool or the CT mirrors would be gone in ten minutes after parking in a public place
Sure, there's no difference at all between the CT being designed explicitly to make it user-removable vs. every other car that would look absolutely ridiculous and be missing a critical safety feature without the mirror . . . 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y

The number of dumb Tesla articles by people who are not paying close attention is remarkable.

The mess Elon made of the model 3 build has led to Tesla seeking simplification of design and manufacturing.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not sure if there would be a regulatory issue. Jeep Wrangler mirror come off with the doors and they really are just a couple hinge bolts and an electrical plug.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Sure, there's no difference at all between the CT being designed explicitly to make it user-removable vs. every other car that would look absolutely ridiculous and be missing a critical safety feature without the mirror . . . 🤷‍♂️
Correct

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The number of dumb Tesla articles by people who are not paying close attention is remarkable.

The mess Elon made of the model 3 build has led to Tesla seeking simplification of design and manufacturing.
I would agree with that.

Although be careful, you may be labeled a fanboy if you look at Tesla objectively. That is a difficult label to wear and not for the meek (I am not insinuating you are meek). It is a scarlet letter I must bear the rest of my Rivian forum membership days.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I would agree with that.

Although be careful, you may be labeled a fanboy if you look at Tesla objectively. That is a difficult label to wear and not for the meek (I am not insinuating you are meek). It is a scarlet letter I must bear the rest of my Rivian forum membership days.
They don't know enough to understand that Musk didn't conceptualize or design the Cybertruck. What he did was pick the craziest truck option presented.

If Franz and team didn't think it could be built successfully and sell at a good margin it wouldn't exist.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Mirrors are removable by owner = cameras act as side view mirrors like in all Tesla’s now.
That was so yesterday’s news. I believe today’s news from Elon is that the mirrors are removable, but there are no camera replacements. I just read that somewhere in the past week.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
That was so yesterday’s news. I believe today’s news from Elon is that the mirrors are removable, but there are no camera replacements. I just read that somewhere in the past week.
Cameras look to be on the wheel arch extension. The CT has a 17" display instead of the 15" on the 3/Y. Presumably in part to show the mirror view better.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Cameras look to be on the wheel arch extension. The CT has a 17" display instead of the 15" on the 3/Y. Presumably in part to show the mirror view better.
Like I said, that was the original thought, but not the current Tesla thinking. Look it up.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Last edited: