DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I heard Tesla even redesigned the CyberTruck look . . .

94F892B7-7F41-4446-BB71-7368236330DE.jpeg
Word on the street is that Elon will call this the "Thunder", so as not to piss off Ford again. Maybe he could go full throttle by calling it the "Model T". What could possibly go wrong with that? ?

I think he's still fuming over Ford keeping him from naming the third generation the model "E" so that he could spell "SEXY" with his model names.

This is an old story, but for those unfamiliar with it, here it is from slate.com:

"Despite the name, Model 3 won’t technically be Tesla’s third model. If you count the Roadster as its first and Model S as its second, the third will actually be Model X, the $70,000 all-electric luxury SUV that is going into production this year. But Tesla considers the 3 its “third-generation” vehicle because the Model S and Model X are built on the same platform.

"Actually, Tesla had originally planned to call its next car the “Model E.” Musk, who apparently has a juvenile sense of humor to go with his brilliant mind, liked the idea of selling three cars with the model names S, E, and X. But that plan was blue-balled when Ford threatened legal action."

Full story here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate....ion-tesla-gets-a-name-and-its-not-model-e.amp
Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
As for CT price not making sense. By the time CT is out in any meaningful way, Y has caught up with demand and has to drop price so lower trim CTs‘ relative price will make sense. GigaTexas is all about Y at this time. That said Tesla’s days of wanting to save the planet by making affordable EVs seems to be long forgotten and it is all about preserving the growth of Stock price and profit margin so any product will be priced as high as Tesla can getaway with.

It all comes down to competition. Right now a lot of people don’t want just an EV, they want Tesla. Looking at their manufacturing efficiency and what is happening in Texas, they can react to any kind of price pressure by competition very quickly and still be left with healthy margin. That said, even though Lucid price makes it irrelevant for most, it was important to beat Tesla in range and quality. And I completely understand Rivian delays. You only get one chance for first impression and there are still bugs to squash. However if Rivian can not get it’s production numbers up quickly and deliver in large numbers before GigaTexas is at full blast, it may have problem competing. Right now any company that can make an EV can sell it but that won’t last forever.

Many CT reservation holders are frustrated and will jump ship if they have a good option in timely manner. Elon said design was complete and he was going to share it last December and a year later tweeting about adding Hummer and Rivian features. That is not leading the industry. But if he succeed in mass producing them at a reasonable price, it won’t matter who he stole the idea from or how ugly it is. It will wipe the floor with the competition. Even though R1 has no transmission, Rivian needs to get it in gear fast.

Last edited:

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I think the real lede is getting buried here - if they do away with the single motor version, they also do away with the $40k entry point. The consensus for the quad motor version seems to be around $100k, in line with Hummer and a loaded Rivian.
As usual, Elon promising a low price and then delivering higher priced products. Typical bait and switch.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
As usual, Elon promising a low price and then delivering higher priced products. Typical bait and switch.
I never took it as coincidence or likely, that the CT's highest trim cost was going to be just a smidge lower than Rivian's lowest trim pricing at the time. Same with the rather specific number of 2.9 seconds for the 0 to 60 on the tri-motor.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Honestly, this is quickly turning into one of my biggest annoyances with him/Tesla.

I never took it as coincidence or likely, that the CT's highest trim cost was going to be just a smidge lower than Rivian's lowest trim pricing at the time. Same with the rather specific number of 2.9 seconds for the 0 to 60 on the tri-motor.
Companies should start announcing concept cars that they "plan" to do with stupid numbers just to screw with Elon.

Ford: we're going to make a 300 mile AWD Ford Lightning for $25k. An electrified Maverick is coming for $20k with 400 miles.

Rivian: 600 mile quad motor variant with the ability to independently turn each wheel. $60k.

GM: 600 mile Sierra and can recharge 0 to 80% in 12 minutes.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

No, she meant it's a market for hugeness.

It's just 6 people, all with tiny d*cks.
I think there's definitely plenty of marketshare for both trucks and that each will end up being more than a little different than buyers expect.

For Rivian, I think people who currently have a Tesla and are used to certain quality of life refinements that Rivian has been kind of quiet about are going to end up a bit frustrated. I'm currently on a Model Y road trip right now and used the Netflix capability a LOT because the cold wrecked our range. And that's with the great charging network getting 330 wh/m going 75 in 30 degree weather with all the seat heaters blasting. Amazing and yet still a bit inconvenient compared to gas. The R1T will likely be half that efficiency and to not include the streaming capability of a $200 Fire tablet? No excuse. We also used vision AP for 500 miles of divided highway in day/night/rain with zero faults or phantom braking. Pretty bad on undivided roads but incredibly solid on highways. I'm willing to bet driver+ will be a lot more limited as they build up experience, just like the charge curve.

The Cybertruck seems like the yoke version of a vehicle. I personally like it but I will happily admit it's fanboi crazy for the sake of crazy that will turn a lot of people off. I also think the size is just a huge mistake and the target market of people that have never had a truck will end up selling them due to real world maneuverability, parking, and charging inconvenience. I do think the quad motor setup steals a bit of Rivian's thunder and the truck will definitely be on the road in comparable quantities in some fom within the next 18 months.

I've got reservations for all the trucks and no particular enthusiasm for the company that ultimately sells me one. Been a good long while since companies cared about anything other than the stock price so I happily return the favor.
I love the optics of this headline - https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-cybertruck-4x4-add-hummer-rivian-features

"Tesla Cybertruck 4x4 to add these Hummer and Rivian features"

Yes folks, the 4-motor config is a *RIVIAN* feature, and don't you forget it.
:giggle:
I recall talking to one of the Rivian engineers responsible for the “4 - motor” choice. He was emphatic out the gate, saying, “Choosing the four motors has nothing to do with marketing, nothing. It is to improve the performance of the vehicle“. I hope that Tesla is building a 4-motor Cybertruck to make the truck better. Period. Follow Rivian! Death to marketing domination of motor design.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Honestly, this is quickly turning into one of my biggest annoyances with him/Tesla.

Companies should start announcing concept cars that they "plan" to do with stupid numbers just to screw with Elon.

Ford: we're going to make a 300 mile AWD Ford Lightning for $25k. An electrified Maverick is coming for $20k with 400 miles.

Rivian: 600 mile quad motor variant with the ability to independently turn each wheel. $60k.

GM: 600 mile Sierra and can recharge 0 to 80% in 12 minutes.
Still room for Dodge to announce an EV truck with five wheels.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Still room for Dodge to announce an EV truck with five wheels.
I was thinking a functional ram to push little cars out if the way.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
I recall talking to one of the Rivian engineers responsible for the “4 - motor” choice. He was emphatic out the gate, saying, “Choosing the four motors has nothing to do with marketing, nothing. It is to improve the performance of the vehicle“. I hope that Tesla is building a 4-motor Cybertruck to make the truck better. Period. Follow Rivian! Death to marketing domination of motor design.
Again, this is hauntingly familiar to me, and harkens back to the iPhone launch. Apple was "100% going to fail" because their phone was too expensive and they didn't have a dumbed down, bare-bones model. Tesla initial thought it was more important to have a single-motor version to make a $40k price point, but such a truck would have been offing useless for anything more than "looking cool" if you think that thing looks cool. Their pivot to 4 motors and 4 wheel steering just proves they will go whatever way the wind is blowing.

It's all academic, though, because the Cybertruck was designed specifically to be vaporware.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Again, this is hauntingly familiar to me, and harkens back to the iPhone launch. Apple was "100% going to fail" because their phone was too expensive and they didn't have a dumbed down, bare-bones model. Tesla initial thought it was more important to have a single-motor version to make a $40k price point, but such a truck would have been offing useless for anything more than "looking cool" if you think that thing looks cool. Their pivot to 4 motors and 4 wheel steering just proves they will go whatever way the wind is blowing.

It's all academic, though, because the Cybertruck was designed specifically to be vaporware.
My cautionary note: time will tell if the CT is vaporware or unpainted steel. No room in between for much compromise or adjustment by Tesla. Sinks or swims. I vote swim.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
My cautionary note: time will tell if the CT is vaporware or unpainted steel. No room in between for much compromise or adjustment by Tesla. Sinks or swims. I vote swim.
I think the CyberTruck will be a huge success. I wonder if weight-wise since Telsa is keen on diet and watching weight, using Giga castings, etc may play in their favor. R1T is super heavy for the size of the truck at 7,150 lbs is what MT found. I find no reason I can't be cheering for both to succeed.
Sponsored