Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
Nice. Take it out of the context.

What mob???
I probably should have included an emoji to make clear I was just needling you. I fully understand my comment applies to things far bigger than Tesla.

Having said all of that, and without any comment on the Cybertruck itself, Tesla’s fanboys would drive anything offered to them by Elon. (That’s a credit to Tesla and Elon). I say this merely in response to your assertion that CT preorders are a measure of its aesthetic qualities. My response is - ANYTHING would be sufficient for Teslas fans, so the preorder numbers (with no further discussion about the accuracy of those numbers, or their final, real world totals) is probably not the best barometer.
Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Not one with quad motors offroad. This is a different beast. Yes, they have a lot of experience, but they haven’t built a 4x4 yet. At least not one that we’ve seen.

And ya know… since it’s been two years since it was announced, I’m a little mystified as to WHY we haven’t seen more of a demonstration. “It’s a prototype!” Yeah, and those Rivians on Long Way Up were prototypes, #001 and #002. Why isn’t Tesla showing us what this truck can do? It was supposed to be on sale by now. Are you telling me they don’t even have a working pre-production model yet?
Wow you’re reaching now. Ok. You’re right Rivian has the upper hand as you say. You know if want continue this type of banter, I can cite pros and cons for both side right?

I just want Rivian to be as successful as Tesla. hope it happens. The fact that you think CT looks 80’s design or DeLorean is your opinion. I think it looks like F-117 stealth fighter from the 70’s. Regardless, I like the design and you don’t. So what.

Don’t need to Put one down for another. I want both!

cheers.

lazjen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Software Engineer
I 100% do not like the looks of the cybertruck and it's not for me, but I think it's great that it's going to be coming for those that want it. I think it will do extremely well (sales wise) assuming there's no basic underlying flaw with it.

Right now, X vs Y vs Z is even more pointless than normal: EV demand is high, supply is low (vs ICE); EV choice is low (per segment type) (vs ICE). The more manufacturers that move towards EV and the more choices they provide, the better for all of us.

So cybertruck, you be an ugly beast to me, find your way to those that see different. ;)

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Wow you’re reaching now. Ok. You’re right Rivian has the upper hand as you say. You know if want continue this type of banter, I can cite pros and cons for both side right?

I just want Rivian to be as successful as Tesla. hope it happens. The fact that you think CT looks 80’s design or DeLorean is your opinion. I think it looks like F-117 stealth fighter from the 70’s. Regardless, I like the design and you don’t. So what.

cheers.
Both. Also like both R1T and R1S. All three work in a fleet, but when you must choose, there is a fun discussion to engage. Then when you make your choice what about which model? I prefer 4 motors for off-road grip and highway quickness. Range matters too…. These are great vehicles!

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I do not agree with your statement though. Anyone putting deposit down has some intent initially and even if 50~60% cancels, its still 500K+ CTs. Much more than 100% follow through for Ford or Rivian - which definitely will not happen.
I have a launch day Cybertruck deposit and absolutely no intention of buying one. I placed the reservation on a lark - maybe I’d get an early delivery option and could resell it, maybe they’d do a radical redesign and I wished I had one - but figure there’s like a 0.1% chance of any of that coming through. But I’ll float $100 just in case.

On a similar whim, I have a $100 F150 Lightning reservation that I have no plans to follow through on. It’s too big for my tastes, doesn’t have enough range, and bores me with its traditionality. And it won’t fit in my garage. Buy hey, it’s only $100.

Meanwhile, I have a July 2019 R1T reservation. $1000 is not risking the mortgage if you’re shopping in this segment, but it’s nontrivial. But that’s ok, because I’m serious about the purchase. Did my test drive last week and I’m taking delivery March/April next year (knock on wood). I have the concept drawing framed on my wall and am stoked as hell about the truck.

I think that extra zero makes a real difference.

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I have a launch day Cybertruck deposit and absolutely no intention of buying one. I placed the reservation on a lark - maybe I’d get an early delivery option and could resell it, maybe they’d do a radical redesign and I wished I had one - but figure there’s like a 0.1% chance of any of that coming through. But I’ll float $100 just in case.

On a similar whim, I have a $100 F150 Lightning reservation that I have no plans to follow through on. It’s too big for my tastes, doesn’t have enough range, and bores me with its traditionality. And it won’t fit in my garage. Buy hey, it’s only $100.

Meanwhile, I have a July 2019 R1T reservation. $1000 is not risking the mortgage if you’re shopping in this segment, but it’s nontrivial. But that’s ok, because I’m serious about the purchase. Did my test drive last week and I’m taking delivery March/April next year (knock on wood). I have the concept drawing framed on my wall and am stoked as hell about the truck.

I have two extra zeros on my cyber truck reservation, and I might get it before my R1S.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Around the same time, EM also promised 500 miles on the Plaid Model S. Currently it's rated at 396 mi based on EPA tests, and people are reporting sub 350 mile real life ranges. EM is the master of hyperbole.
This is an incorrect statement. It was the Model S Plaid + that was stated to have "520 miles, 1100-HP, with the new 4680 Batteries" (Car & Driver, Oct. 2nd, 2020).

Edit: In checking the Tesla website today, Model S Plaid (not +) is rated at EPA of 348 miles (21") and 396 w/19". Not sure how many are buying a hypercar with 19" wheels?

Last edited:

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Design…

I placed my deposit on a R1S as soon as I saw one on YT (April 2019). I somehow missed it at the LA Autoshow. Totally fell in love with Rivian at that point.

A few months ago, I changed from R1S to T as we decided that a pickup truck could be fun and we haven’t had one before.
A few weeks ago, we bought a Tesla (after years and of making fun of them and EM - hey, it’s okay to learn from your mistakes). Shortly after that, we went and did the Sonoma first mile (very nice but no relation with real life or even real off-roading). That same day, we put a deposit on the CT. Not because we don’t like the R1T, but because the T is pretty small and is not really different from traditional vehicles.
Now that the CT might come with quad motors and such, it is even more appealing.
In the end, not sure what we’ll end up getting but test driving the Rivian solidified our purchase of a Ford Raptor and made us wonder if the T is a good choice for us. We’ll know more once we get a delivery window and how much it will be impacted switching to the max pack.
Back to design, I “hated” the CT when it came out but now I’m happy that it looks different than all of the other offerings which are very closely related to old school ICE designs.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
Wow you’re reaching now. Ok. You’re right Rivian has the upper hand as you say. You know if want

Good for you! Personally, I don't want Rivian to be as successful as Tesla, I want them to be as successful as Amazon. And as a former Amazonian, I have a pretty good idea how that can happen.

Sponsored

HikerTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Saab 900, VW Passat

Where did you do your test drive? Did you need to have a reservation to do it?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like Tesla is playing the “Me Too” game. I think they are so far from production that they are trying everything to keep Cybertruck relevant and in the threads of the inter webs.
Between the CT announcement timing and Plaid+, it just seems like he throws shit out to to try and keep people from buying other brands with little to no intent of delivering.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
I think there's definitely plenty of marketshare for both trucks and that each will end up being more than a little different than buyers expect.

For Rivian, I think people who currently have a Tesla and are used to certain quality of life refinements that Rivian has been kind of quiet about are going to end up a bit frustrated. I'm currently on a Model Y road trip right now and used the Netflix capability a LOT because the cold wrecked our range. And that's with the great charging network getting 330 wh/m going 75 in 30 degree weather with all the seat heaters blasting. Amazing and yet still a bit inconvenient compared to gas. The R1T will likely be half that efficiency and to not include the streaming capability of a $200 Fire tablet? No excuse. We also used vision AP for 500 miles of divided highway in day/night/rain with zero faults or phantom braking. Pretty bad on undivided roads but incredibly solid on highways. I'm willing to bet driver+ will be a lot more limited as they build up experience, just like the charge curve.

The Cybertruck seems like the yoke version of a vehicle. I personally like it but I will happily admit it's fanboi crazy for the sake of crazy that will turn a lot of people off. I also think the size is just a huge mistake and the target market of people that have never had a truck will end up selling them due to real world maneuverability, parking, and charging inconvenience. I do think the quad motor setup steals a bit of Rivian's thunder and the truck will definitely be on the road in comparable quantities in some fom within the next 18 months.

I've got reservations for all the trucks and no particular enthusiasm for the company that ultimately sells me one. Been a good long while since companies cared about anything other than the stock price so I happily return the favor.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Where did you do your test drive? Did you need to have a reservation to do it?
Seattle - they came to my house and I got 45 minutes to drive wherever I wanted. I think it’s only for Launch Edition reservation holders in certain regions right now.
Sponsored