Sponsored

Cybertruck Quad-Motor & Crab Walk Feature Announced by Elon Musk

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I bet they'll keep the price down (relative to inflation). The simplicity of the design makes the cost of parts and assembly relatively low.
Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Maybe you're right but Electrek.com is reporting that:
"This will replace the originally unveiled tri-motor version of the Cybertruck that was supposed to be the first one to market at $69,900 and with over 500 miles of range."
(https://electrek.co/2021/12/03/tesl...4-motors-enabling-4-wheel-steering-crab-mode/)
Around the same time, EM also promised 500 miles on the Plaid Model S. Currently it's rated at 396 mi based on EPA tests, and people are reporting sub 350 mile real life ranges. EM is the master of hyperbole.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I bet they'll keep the price down (relative to inflation). The simplicity of the design makes the cost of parts and assembly relatively low.
Daimler tried to do that in the early 2000s with Chrysler and realized that material cost is a large part of the cost of a vehicle. Even when they cheapened the interior to super hard thin plastics with mold flashings showing and such, they never really got the cost out to the extent that they wanted to.

The CT cost down and simplicity comes from the structural battery (so, less unibody to build), a relatively simple unibody, no paint, and supposedly the 4680 batteries. But things such as ballistic plating, ballistics glass, and some of these other features that they're touting are very far fetched without increased cost and complexity.

Reactions: Guy

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I think the real lede is getting buried here - if they do away with the single motor version, they also do away with the $40k entry point. The consensus for the quad motor version seems to be around $100k, in line with Hummer and a loaded Rivian.
The $40K "entry" price was never viable. This is his move to do a broad pricing revision and make it look like you're getting a totally different vehicle instead of getting upsold on what he announced two years ago.

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Here is my guess:

Dual motor: $69k with 250mi EPA range
Tri motor: $89k with 300mi EPA range
Quad motor: $120k+ 400mi EPA range

The Plaid tri-motor is $130k. It has a much nicer interior, but that powertrain will be very similar. Add in the additional cost for a HUGE Cybertruck battery and I don't see how the quad motor in particular would be cheaper to build. Steel prices are double/triple compared to 2018. This thing is basically a battleship worth of steel.

The Model Y now costs $58k. The Dual motor with a 250 mile range will probably require a battery pack twice the size of the Model Y. Again I don't see how it would cost less than the Model Y. Even with the new 4680 battery which probably drops the battery costs by maybe 20%, it's not going to make up for doubling the battery size.

Edit: Apparently the Tri-motor is no longer an option. So here is my revised estimate.

Dual motor LR: $89k with 325mi EPA range

Last edited:

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Around the same time, EM also promised 500 miles on the Plaid Model S. Currently it's rated at 396 mi based on EPA tests, and people are reporting sub 350 mile real life ranges. EM is the master of hyperbole.
Elon is colorful to say the least - agree.

As for the range, EPA vs actual is no different than EPA MPG vs actual for ICE vehicles. Given how quick and amazing Plaid S is, owners probably are driving much faster than EPA speeds. It is highly dependent to the driving conditions and environment.

As a Model 3 LR owner (EPA 325 mile range), I've never gotten more than 250 miles, but I have non-aero 19" wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 sticky tires (higher rolling resistance compared to factory Continental) and drive mostly at 80mph on the freeway. (btw, 80mph may sound outrageous but if the freeways are moving, it the flow of traffic in SoCal...)

When I get my R1S, I am not expecting anything more than 250 miles in range for real world condition.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Reactions: Guy

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Here is my guess:

Tri motor: $89k with 300mi EPA range

The Plaid tri-motor is $130k. It has a much nicer interior, but that powertrain will be very similar. Add in the additional cost for a HUGE Cybertruck battery and I don't see how the quad motor in particular would be cheaper to build. Steel prices are double/triple compared to 2018. This thing is basically a battleship worth of steel.

The Model Y now costs $58k. The Dual motor with a 250 mile range will probably require a battery pack twice the size of the Model Y. Again I don't see how it would cost less than the Model Y. Even with the new 4680 battery which probably drops the battery costs by maybe 20%, it's not going to make up for doubling the battery size.
I think you are pretty close, but tack an extra $5-10k on each of those.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Setting aside other R1T advantages such as "looks" and "size"... It's been directly demonstrated that the quad-motor design is one key to the off-road prowess.

So a quad-motor Cybertruck puts it back on my radar.

Now they just need to address "looks" and "size"

My bet? No way the quad motor Cybertruck has 500mi range and sells for less than the R1T... They'll probably beat the Hummer pricing, though.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

... Now they just need to address "looks" and "size"
Yeah I passed on it because I don't want a truck and is too big. That said, if CT ever becomes CSUV (and not CUV), I'll probably bite.

As for the looks, I like it more than Rivian's traditional look, but I'm probably in a very small group around here..

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Will they also be changing out the body styling for something that wasn't designed by a 2 year old...

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
Will they also be changing out the body styling for something that wasn't designed by a 2 year old...
People who think this is a good looking truck have apparently never heard of the PT Cruiser or the Prowler. ?

And I think it's an especially brilliant stroke of genius to release that kids quad this year, so by the time CT buyers get their trucks, the design will be firmly embedded in the public's mind as that of a child's toy. :like: Well done, Elon.

Last edited:

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

People who think this is a good looking truck have apparently never heard of the PT Cruiser or the Prowler. ?

And I think it's an especially brilliant stroke of genius to release that kids quad this year, so by the team CT buyers get their trucks, the design will be firmly embedded in the public's mind as that of a child's toy. :like: Well done, Elon.
Ouch! You forgot the AMC Pacer but that's probably before your time....

I liked the Prowler but its not to my taste to have a open roadster. I'm more of Tesla Roadster or mid engine sports car kind...

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
Ouch! You forgot the AMC Pacer but that's probably before your time....
I'm older than I look. ?
But you make an excellent point. "Cool futuristic design" is great when it's on the showroom floor, but give it a few years and see if that fishbowl of a Pacer really looks all that great.

Musk claims that the CT was designed by "ALIENS FROM THE FUTURE!!" but it sure looks like the 80's to me. You know how well that worked out for DeLorean.? Not to say that there's no room for out-of-the-box thinking in trucks, but the CT is firmly IN the box. It looks like a Blade Runner prop. And that is a 40 year old design.
Sponsored