Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Sounds like Tesla is playing the “Me Too” game. I think they are so far from production that they are trying everything to keep Cybertruck relevant and in the threads of the inter webs.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Elon can keep his cyber-crabs.

Sponsored

Arthur Itiz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mercedes a220, 2021 Mercedes gla250
IMO, the Cybertruck is too polarizing. At the end of the day Tesla's 1.2 million pre-orders will be more like 500,000 actual buyers. Especially with more 'mainstream' appealing pickup trucks like the R1T, Lightning, and Chevy's EV truck begin to come on the scene.

Just my 2c.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
IMO, the Cybertruck is too polarizing. At the end of the day Tesla's 1.2 million pre-orders will be more like 500,000 actual buyers. Especially with more 'mainstream' appealing pickup trucks like the R1T, Lightning, and Chevy's EV truck begin to come on the scene.

Just my 2c.
It's intentionally polarizing. They are completely different buyers, obviously. They'll have no problem selling these to the tech crowd that wanted something bigger than anything Tesla has offered them before, and which a normal truck has always/still is too boring.

The traditional truck market isn't straying away in masse, so Rivian and Tesla will largely cater to new truck buyers in a new category. Rivian really overlap with the Tacoma/Ridgeline types too, the ones willing/able to pay a premium for better product that is.

Initial bets on the quad motor CT price? I'm guessing $100k+, they'll benchmark it to the Hummer. This smells of a personal quick pivot in response to the GM/Hummer BS of the past few weeks. If a Model Y costs $60k now, the CT will be nose bleed.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sounds like Tesla is playing the “Me Too” game. I think they are so far from production that they are trying everything to keep Cybertruck relevant and in the threads of the inter webs.
I heard Tesla even redesigned the CyberTruck look . . .

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Quad-Motor & Crab Walk Feature Announced by Elon Musk 94F892B7-7F41-4446-BB71-7368236330DE

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
It's intentionally polarizing. They are completely different buyers, obviously. They'll have no problem selling these to the tech crowd that wanted something bigger than anything Tesla has offered them before, and which a normal truck has always/still is too boring.

The traditional truck market isn't straying away in masse, so Rivian and Tesla will largely cater to new truck buyers in a new category. Rivian really overlap with the Tacoma/Ridgeline types too, the ones willing/able to pay a premium for better product that is.

Initial bets on the quad motor CT price? I'm guessing $100k+, they'll benchmark it to the Hummer. This smells of a personal quick pivot in response to the GM/Hummer BS of the past few weeks. If a Model Y costs $60k now, the CT will be nose bleed.
I maybe a one off, but I have an early (Dec 2018 R1T) reservation which will be my wife’s and a very early Tri-Motor (maybe quad now) reservation. I can see having both of them. Time will tell, but final product should be pretty cool.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
I think the real lede is getting buried here - if they do away with the single motor version, they also do away with the $40k entry point. The consensus for the quad motor version seems to be around $100k, in line with Hummer and a loaded Rivian.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I think the real lede is getting buried here - if they do away with the single motor version, they also do away with the $40k entry point. The consensus for the quad motor version seems to be around $100k, in line with Hummer and a loaded Rivian.
That was my first thought as well, and it has been floated here before, that Musk never intended on the CT being available at the costs he quoted in the release (hello $35k Model 3). The quad motor move is a way to capitalize on the positive press that Rivian has gotten on driving dynamics while also moving the goalposts on cost of entry.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Maybe you're right but Electrek.com is reporting that:
"This will replace the originally unveiled tri-motor version of the Cybertruck that was supposed to be the first one to market at $69,900 and with over 500 miles of range."
(https://electrek.co/2021/12/03/tesl...4-motors-enabling-4-wheel-steering-crab-mode/)

If I were to guess, Tesla will undercut GM and probably come in at the same price or similar to R1T. As for 1.2M reservations, as some mentioned already roughly 50% conversion rate probably is a safe guess.

Elon said he's giving the CT update at the next earnings call (late Jan) so we'll all know more then...
Sponsored