Sponsored

Cybertruck photo leaked! ?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Back to the CT itself, it would go down as one of the largest failures ever (in automotive history) if the CT project was somehow scraped at this point with only a handful of prototypes produced. Tesla has invested 100's of millions in the CT design and another $1billion+ in the factory that is supposed to produce it. Yes, GT plant is currently pumping out Model Y's but it's original intent was to produce CT's.

I believe if the new tabless cells were available in quantity right now, we'd probably have production model CT's being road tested as we speak. But, no cells, no CT (or Roadster2 or Plaid +).
I think the hundreds of millions in R&D were totally worth for the world's dumbest looking windshield wiper alone.

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck photo leaked! ? vTeKGSC_d
Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Pardon if this is off topic, but regarding Teslas, or more specifically the 4680 batteries, it was revealed that this new pack would give the Model Y a 279 mile range. Now I'm no elephant, but I do vehemently recall that these batteries were supposed to grant a 54% range increase. I'm also no mathematician, but the current Model Y gets an estimated 303 miles. Where's that range increase that was hardcore stated to come with this new battery? What kind of common core math shenanigans is going on there 279 is 54% greater than 303? Is the 4680 not all it's cracked up to be?

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
Pardon if this is off topic, but regarding Teslas, or more specifically the 4680 batteries, it was revealed that this new pack would give the Model Y a 279 mile range. Now I'm no elephant, but I do vehemently recall that these batteries were supposed to grant a 54% range increase. I'm also no mathematician, but the current Model Y gets an estimated 303 miles. Where's that range increase that was hardcore stated to come with this new battery? What kind of common core math shenanigans is going on there 279 is 54% greater than 303? Is the 4680 not all it's cracked up to be?
Without a meaningful change in volumetric energy density at the cell level and/or at the pack level this isn't going to happen. Improvements in thermal stability (tabless cells) should help improve charge rates and longer term chemical stability within the cell, with the latter having an impact of reducing cell/pack degradation over time.

The initial goal of the move to 4680 cells is to reduce the cell count, and therefore the number of cell to cell interconnects. This in turn should reduce the cost of the pack for a comparable kWh pack. Cost is the primary driver.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Add that to the list of promises

Sponsored

idea man

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E250 Bluetec, Sprinter, Passat, F-250, R1250 GSA
Occupation
Project Manager
They were using Base 8. Obvi.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I think the hundreds of millions in R&D were totally worth for the world's dumbest looking windshield wiper alone.

vTeKGSC_d.jpeg
If you look closely the wiper arm actually contains two wiper blades, not one. It follows the function over form theme of the truck.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
If you look closely the wiper arm actually contains two wiper blades, not one. It follows the function over form theme of the truck.
And how does it retract in to the body to preserve aerodynamic and visual function of the windshield? Are you saying that a constantly exposed gigantic wiper blade sitting on the windshield is an improvement over current retractable wipers?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Not saying that at all. All I know is that the windshield wiper is a prototype. Elon stated that it’s not the final version.

I think the production version will be similar, just more refined. It’s most likely going to be controversial just like the entire vehicle.
Sponsored