Sponsored

Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Even if Tesla raises the Dual Motor $49,900 reveal price by 40% it will still be under $70k ($69,860).
Don't fall for this. Just pretend as if you never saw the number $49,900.

There will never be a $49k CT just like there has never been a $35k Model 3. Musk does this all the time. He throws a number out there and 5 years later when it's time to finally deliver, that is still the only price that is being talked about.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The one thing I am curious about is the SS exoskeleton. For weight and affordability reasons I am curious to see if Tesla will stick with 3mm, nearly 1/8" thick, stainless steel that supposedly was on the Cybertruck concept truck.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
A lot of hate towards the Cybertruck as expected on a Rivian forum. I own an R1T but I also have a 2nd day CT reservation.

If the CT is priced around $80k I will be taking delivery and selling my Rivian. The super durable SS exterior is the clincher for me.

The SS exterior is virtually immune to door dings. I love the thought of no more waxing, detailing, ceramic coatings, paint touch up‘s, paint chips, PPF expenses, body corrosion, etc.

The four biggest unknowns at this point;
-revised MSRP’s
-trim levels
-exterior dimensions
-specifications

Call me weird but I find the futuristic exterior styling very appealing. I see a praying mantis in the photo below.
Deity-of-your-choice-speed!

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/dangerous-reason-stainless-steel-cars-no-longer-exist/

Also praying for your wallet when you do get a ding (harder to do != impossible to do). Welcome to full panel replacement!

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
SS and the unique aluminum Giga casting are two of the reasons it's taking nearly 4-years to get the truck into production. Space X engineers have a lot of experience working with stainless steel.

I think their toughest engineering challenge was making the stainless steel front end yield in a collision to achieve a 5-star crash rating. My guess is the stainless is a thinner gauge on the hood and front fenders OR they have engineered some scoring on the underside to allow the metal to fold and buckle on impact.

Last edited:

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
The one thing I am curious about is the SS exoskeleton. For weight and affordability reasons I am curious to see if Tesla will stick with 3mm, nearly 1/8" thick, stainless steel that supposedly was on the Cybertruck concept truck.
Some quick math. A 3mm 304SS 4'X8' sheet weighs 155lbs. So if it the surface area of the CT is about 8 sheets worth, that would be 1244lbs for just the body.

As a comparison the R1T which is mostly Aluminum panels, each 4'x8' sheet of 1mm aluminum weighs about 17lbs. So 8 sheets would weigh 136lbs.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Whatever they decide to go with, there are trade offs. Musk has made all kinds of comments about it being tough and bulletproof, but the more rigid they make the exterior, the impact of a crash transfers to the occupants of that vehicle. I'm no engineer, but that is what crumple zones are for.

He has also made comments about the simplification of manufacturing since there are fewer panels, but what happens when you have to replace half of your truck's exterior after a minor fender bender?

Also, all those huge flat panels will show every little ding.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
My guess is the main exoskeleton will be reduced to 2mm thickness. The front fenders and hood will be even thinner.

Why? Affordability, vehicle weight and crash worthiness.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Whatever they decide to go with, there are trade offs. Musk has made all kinds of comments about it being tough and bulletproof, but the more rigid they make the exterior, the impact of a crash transfers to the occupants of that vehicle. I'm no engineer, but that is what crumple zones are for.

He has also made comments about the simplification of manufacturing since there are fewer panels, but what happens when you have to replace half of your truck's exterior after a minor fender bender?

Also, all those huge flat panels will show every little ding.
The beta ones already look like they have oil canning

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
SS and the unique aluminum Giga casting are two of the reasons it's taking nearly 4-years to get the truck into production. Space X engineers have a lot of experience working with stainless steel.

I think their toughest engineering challenge was making the front end SS yield in a collision to achieve a 5-star crash rating. My guess is the SS is a thinner gauge on the hood and front fenders.
Very interesting insight, it would be cool if we ever get to see some cybertruck crash tests.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day 0A6F897A-E3AD-4F19-BDDE-787593A4B735

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Here is a leaked photo of what the Cybertruck looks like under the skin.

Tesla vehicle engineers were thinking outside of the box. The cab appears to be quite conventional while rear section is all cast aluminum.

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day F61206A3-18C3-4E4E-A2F1-5785D2A65022

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day 1B7DB7F9-F19B-49C2-9505-C08FE6EA6D20

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
GAME CHANGER!!!! the rumor is true! The first 100,000 CT purchasers will receive a 35% off Mypillow coupon! WOW!!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Don't fall for this. Just pretend as if you never saw the number $49,900.

There will never be a $49k CT just like there has never been a $35k Model 3. Musk does this all the time. He throws a number out there and 5 years later when it's time to finally deliver, that is still the only price that is being talked about.
There has been a $35K model 3. Most of the time it was "off menu".

Cybertruck may not be exoskeleton. CT fans are aghast at that thought, and point out that the order page still lists that feature. But they do accept that the vehicle is now a five seater. The order page says six seats.

While I think CT is probably exoskeleton I'm not longer certain:
1) CT is not referred to as a new generation
2) Structural battery pack is not successful so far in the Austin Model Y. Structural pack is likely integral to exoskeleton.
3) Exoskeleton probably does not have the skateboard's flexibility for future vehicle designs

So CT may be a limited branch of the family tree with exoskelaton. Or perhaps management talked Elon off that branch in the years since the CT announcement. We shall see.
Sponsored