Sponsored

Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
A fascinating thought experiment would be:

Would Tesla fans still think this... thing... was amazing and beautiful if it was, say, a Kia?

I honestly don't think so.
Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
what is the segment? TIA
Work truck for people who do not use bobcats LOL.

It is for the "utility" truck market. It will appeal to a very broad range of actual uses (aside, it will be the killer police cruiser) and it will appeal to people who want a lot of capability and not a lot of frills.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Time will tell, but I would so like to take bets on this. I could be completely off base but that is my bet. $49k for the Dual Motor 330 mile vehicle, $69 k for the Quad 500 mile. We shall see...
So a dual motor Model Y with a 82kWh battery and a similar interior, but half the steel, starts at $55k?

A Dual motor 330 mile CT with a 130kWh battery will cost $6k less? With air suspension, bullet proof glass, rear wheel steering, etc.....

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
So a dual motor Model Y with a 82kWh battery and a similar interior, but half the steel, starts at $55k?

A Dual motor 330 mile CT with a 130kWh battery will cost $6k less? With air suspension, bullet proof glass, rear wheel steering, etc.....
Correct. That is what I am saying. The Model Y LRAWD costs ~$38-$40k to make. The CT needs to come in at ~ $35k - $38k to get priced at $49k and retain target margins. The 130kwh battery in the CT should cost around 25% more than Model Y or around $12k - $13k vs $10k for the current NMC Y pack. (The CT pack will get there at scale, not day 1, but Tesla does not price around Job 1 costs but around forecast target cost in year 2.) They need to claw back around $5 in savings vs model Y to retain same margins or they can sacrifice some margins or price it higher. The company is expecting significant savings on in-vehicle electronics and wiring, no paint, lower cost interior materials and - most important - higher density / lower cost line and lower assembly cost. It is not that hard to believe. But time will tell...

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Problem is you are doing normal math. What you need to price this is Tesla math.
You start with your production costs, ignore that, you'll fix that later.
Next you check your share price, do you need to create buzz for a bump?
Price it lower.
Next week you realize it was too low at $42.0k so you bump it to $69,420.
Then take that kinda reasonable price and start putting "discounts" on the website like the potential max tax incentive, potential savings from fuels costs over the next 25 years, and viola!
$40,100 out the door price but after taking that refundable deposit into account its a mere $40k.
Eventually you'll release a CyberPlaidTruck for $169,420 and make up some of the losses.

Thank you for reading my rant.

Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
I can’t keep my stainless refrigerator clean of fingerprints - having that on a whole truck is going to be a nightmare…ugh. I wish someone would wrap one to at least see some variety.
Think of the size of the fingerprint-free screen (meaning entire stainless body) protectors the truck will need! The Abstract Ocean's of the world are going to kill it...but they better figure out how to ship CT panel sized material!

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Problem is you are doing normal math. What you need to price this is Tesla math.
You start with your production costs, ignore that, you'll fix that later.
Next you check your share price, do you need to create buzz for a bump?
Price it lower.
Next week you realize it was too low at $42.0k so you bump it to $69,420.
Then take that kinda reasonable price and start putting "discounts" on the website like the potential max tax incentive, potential savings from fuels costs over the next 25 years, and viola!
$40,100 out the door price but after taking that refundable deposit into account its a mere $40k.
Eventually you'll release a CyberPlaidTruck for $169,420 and make up some of the losses.

Thank you for reading my rant.
It was a very polite rant.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Everyone made a CT reservation because it was only $100. There's no way they will stick to that pricing structure. And it will be less efficient than both the Lightning and the Rivian so you will pay more to charge it and have worse range.
I agree about the reservations, most of the ones I know that reserved wouldn't be able to afford even a $40k truck today and I doubt it'll be even close to that in the first couple years.
And while I hope you are right, I expect the efficiency of the CT to beat or match the R1T. Frankly our trucks are embarrassingly thirsty/heavy and Tesla motors are not a spot I'd bet against. That said, its a massive triangle with sharp edges so... we will see who wins that fight. Sadly I know the vampire drain will at least be way worse with ours. :confused:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Why do some people immediately revert to childish name-calling when discussing Tesla? Elmo? Really?

Yes, I think the 2019 pricing will hold. If you watched the investor presentation, you would have heard in great detail the progress they have made in lowering costs (model 3 is 30% cheaper than 5 years ago with more range etc.). They may not. But I will say again, this is aimed at an entirely different market segment than Rivian.
Are you saying cheaper to build or cheaper for the consumer? The cheapest you can get a Model 3 is 42,990, 30% less than that 30,090. You could never get a Model 3 for 30k at any point. Even adjusting that to account for inflation it is 35,853 which again you could never get a Model 3 for.

Can you provide for the context around that 30% reduction? The only way I can get there is taking the current price, deducting the 7500 tax credit bringing the price down to 35,490. Not sure you can actually use a tax credit worth 17.5% of the price to claim a 30% inflation adjusted reduction without full disclosure that is how you got there.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Work truck for people who do not use bobcats LOL.

It is for the "utility" truck market. It will appeal to a very broad range of actual uses (aside, it will be the killer police cruiser) and it will appeal to people who want a lot of capability and not a lot of frills.
What are its capabilities again? So far this is what has been said by Tesla’s CEO/ PR department:

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day A29A6453-F926-4C62-AE68-87F81904D813

Rivian R1T R1S Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day 49D7A766-103C-4120-9B31-B6B378133906

Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Are you saying cheaper to build or cheaper for the consumer? The cheapest you can get a Model 3 is 42,990, 30% less than that 30,090. You could never get a Model 3 for 30k at any point. Even adjusting that to account for inflation it is 35,853 which again you could never get a Model 3 for.

Can you provide for the context around that 30% reduction? The only way I can get there is taking the current price, deducting the 7500 tax credit bringing the price down to 35,490. Not sure you can actually use a tax credit worth 17.5% of the price to claim a 30% inflation adjusted reduction without full disclosure that is how you got there.
This is the cost to BUILD, not buy. It was explained in considerable detail at yesterday's investor day presentation.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

What are its capabilities again? So far this is what has been said by Tesla’s CEO/ PR department:

A29A6453-F926-4C62-AE68-87F81904D813.jpeg

49D7A766-103C-4120-9B31-B6B378133906.jpeg
Not gonna be very watertight with all of those gaps in the stainless. :D

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’d still buy one at the price structure when reservations were opened. I definitely wouldn’t buy one at R1T prices but then again, I also wouldn’t buy a R1T at current pricing.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I agree about the reservations, most of the ones I know that reserved wouldn't be able to afford even a $40k truck today and I doubt it'll be even close to that in the first couple years.
And while I hope you are right, I expect the efficiency of the CT to beat or match the R1T. Frankly our trucks are embarrassingly thirsty/heavy and Tesla motors are not a spot I'd bet against. That said, its a massive triangle with sharp edges so... we will see who wins that fight. Sadly I know the vampire drain will at least be way worse with ours. :confused:
R1T has a Cd of 0.30. Cybertruck is 0.39 without mirrors. Gonna need a bigger boat...er, battery for same range

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
R1T has a Cd of 0.30. Cybertruck is 0.39 without mirrors. Gonna need a bigger boat...er, battery for same range
Maybe not. Tesla DUs are very efficient, per lb/mass moved. More-so than Rivian.
Sponsored