Sponsored

Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
is the box of uniform height front to back? pictures suggest no.
this is a serious question for the CT fans. I think the box will be tough to load with a Bobcat unless the height is uniform. Regardless it will be tough to load it without damaging the Maytag stainless steel. In short, the box looks unusable for a "work" truck.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Hopefully people can now see (1) why the Rivian costs $40k more than a similar range CT and $20k more than a much higher range/specs CT and (2) why this was never intended to, and never will, compete with Rivian. It is a completely different approach for a completely different market segment.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Is the charging port still on the drive side rear? If so that will be terrible for towing. Not that many CT owners will actually tow anything.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Hopefully people can now see (1) why the Rivian costs $40k more than a similar range CT and $20k more than a much higher range/specs CT and (2) why this was never intended to, and never will, compete with Rivian. It is a completely different approach for a completely different market segment.
what is the msrp of the CT? what is its market segment? certainly not people who need a work truck.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I loved my 2019 Model S. Once Tesla switched to the stalkless, shifterless design, those were deal breakers for me, as was the stupid yoke wheel, which they've at least corrected. I had a Model 3 for about 2 months and hated it, immediately going back to the Model S. Once the updated Model S came out, I was finally off the Tesla train after 9 years straight.
This is a very similar story for us. We have a 2015 Model S that we used to love, and had planned on replacing it with a newer model around when the Raven models were out. We heard some pretty solid rumors a refreshed S was coming out, and since they hadn't made many significant changes to the S yet, we waited.

Then the plaid-era Model S dropped, with no stalks, that absurdly stupid yoke, and while the interior did see a refresh, the exterior was still basically the same.

On one hand, I'm really sad I didn't snag a Raven when they were dumping them with a lot of discounts. We could have really used the extra range on a few trips. On the other hand, as our Model S has gotten more-and-more expensive to maintain, I'm kind of glad to be off the Tesla train.

Rivian is weirdly the only company making a compelling vehicle for me at this time. It has everything I loved about my Model S, without any of the dumb stuff Tesla is doing. And the interior isn't cluttered with 50 buttons and switches I'll rarely touch, like so many legacy vehicles.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You literally have no idea what the CT costs. Stop this.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Huh? Someone is delusional if they think Elmo's 2019 pricing holds. Most of those $100 deposits will soon vanish

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
will the newly announced Tesla Mexico production line make the CT?

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
will the newly announced Tesla Mexico production line make the CT?
No. It will be made in Texas as that's where the EXPENSIVE GIGA press for casting resides

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I can see why the Cybertruck should cost $40k less than a Rivian with a cheap interior and ugly exterior, but unfortunately for CT buyers, the cost will probably be very similar.

I'll be amazed if a 300mi dual motor CT start less than $70k.

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

...If not, what is the difference between this and the one that’s been sitting at the museum for months Other than the doors are now open?
Hey now, lets not gloss over what an accomplishment adding opening doors was for the design team of this updated Aztek.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Huh? Someone is delusional if they think Elmo's 2019 pricing holds. Most of those $100 deposits will soon vanish
Why do some people immediately revert to childish name-calling when discussing Tesla? Elmo? Really?

Yes, I think the 2019 pricing will hold. If you watched the investor presentation, you would have heard in great detail the progress they have made in lowering costs (model 3 is 30% cheaper than 5 years ago with more range etc.). They may not. But I will say again, this is aimed at an entirely different market segment than Rivian.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
No. It will be made in Texas as that's where the EXPENSIVE GIGA press for casting resides
perhaps casting done in Texas then assembly in Mexico to keep cost down? I hope Tesla expandes the charging network as well as employment opportunities to Mexico.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I can see why the Cybertruck should cost $40k less than a Rivian with a cheap interior and ugly exterior, but unfortunately for CT buyers, the cost will probably be very similar.

I'll be amazed if a 300mi dual motor CT start less than $70k.
Time will tell, but I would so like to take bets on this. I could be completely off base but that is my bet. $49k for the Dual Motor 330 mile vehicle, $69 k for the Quad 500 mile. We shall see...
Sponsored