Sponsored

Cybertruck Latest "Beta" Prototype gets up close look inside and out at Tesla Investor Day

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
That's easy for the model 3 with a Cd of 0.23
I figure the same motors in my Plaid are going into the CT. Battery will be 125kW, I suspect, for the Dual motor variant. Time will tell....

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Maybe not. Tesla DUs are very efficient, per lb/mass moved. More-so than Rivian.
you can’t extrapolate cyberconcept efficiency based on the drive units in their sedans to the actual Rivian efficiency data from a year of trucks on the road. And certainly not to the upcoming enduro dual motor trucks that will also be in customer hands a long time before Tesla delivers a truck to one of their customers.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I figure the same motors in my Plaid are going into the CT. Battery will be 125kW, I suspect, for the Dual motor variant. Time will tell....
with Tesla, “time will tell” is not a good argument. Time has shown that Elon tells, but never delivers.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Model S is even better with a Cd of 0.208

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Super quick range calcs based on published Cd between model S Plaid/Cybertruck and Plaid range of 405 the CT with a 125kwh battery gets a range of 284. Battery size to get 400-500 miles of range will be huge

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Correct. That is what I am saying. The Model Y LRAWD costs ~$38-$40k to make. The CT needs to come in at ~ $35k - $38k to get priced at $49k and retain target margins. The 130kwh battery in the CT should cost around 25% more than Model Y or around $12k - $13k vs $10k for the current NMC Y pack. (The CT pack will get there at scale, not day 1, but Tesla does not price around Job 1 costs but around forecast target cost in year 2.) They need to claw back around $5 in savings vs model Y to retain same margins or they can sacrifice some margins or price it higher. The company is expecting significant savings on in-vehicle electronics and wiring, no paint, lower cost interior materials and - most important - higher density / lower cost line and lower assembly cost. It is not that hard to believe. But time will tell...
Honest question. If the Cybertruck is priced at $70k for a dual motor with 300mi range and $100k+ for a quad motor 400mi range, would you still consider this as desirable as the Rivian or Lightning?

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Honest question. If the Cybertruck is priced at $70k for a dual motor with 300mi range and $100k+ for a quad motor 400mi range, would you still consider this as desirable as the Rivian or Lightning?
A lot of unknowns, but that's a no for me. Now if Tesla guaranteed that FSD and an exoskeleton made 60mph deer strikes a non issue I'd consider it.

That said, my needs would probably be better suited by a model Y+hitch vs a Cyber Truck if I were deciding between the two.

Last edited:

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

A lot of unknowns, but that's a no for me. Now if Tesla guaranteed that FSD and an exoskeleton made 60mph deer strikes a non issue I'd consider it.
If you're using FSD shouldn't it be 60mph child or stroller strikes?

Riv240

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T
with Tesla, “time will tell” is not a good argument. Time has shown that Elon tells, but never delivers.
meh, i've seen tons of teslas on the street, and increasing as time goes by.
still waiting for my r1s, been like 3 years waiting, delay upon delays, some configurations needed to be changed from my initial selections. feel the same way with rivian

that being said, cybertruck looks like it's going to be 5 instead of 6 seating, no midgate, would be a no for me. i'd consider it if final product is 6 seating and somehow there's a midgate

also, some angles, it doesn't look too bad, other angles, looks like they gave it to a bunch of grade school kids to draw up what a truck should be, and one kid got a hold of a ruler and went to town, that being the final design...

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I have a CT reservation in spite of the styling because at the time I made it, 50K for a dual motor full size electric truck with more than 300 miles of range was an incredible deal. CT will be successful if it delivers on range, drives well and is competitive on price. The second part will be how does the stainless steel hold up to normal wear, fender benders and bigger accidents and how will repairs be done. I suspect Tesla will deliver on the range but not sure about the price, it will certainly be more than the launch prices. But if it is 10-20K less than R1T or F150 Lightning, it will sell. To some degree I think the CT will be like the new BMW EV and their front end, if you get past the styling (or lack of) it is a compelling vehicle.
To date Tesla always prices to meet their production plan. If they follow that pratice the CT price will be considerably higher than expected by most people.