Sponsored

CyberTruck is more than Stainless Steel...Tesla excels at Engineering in so many ways.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
From what I have heard and read, in order to get to the speeds and specs. of a R1T, it will cost about $100k. I want to know how the $60k or $70 performs?.
4 second 0-60
Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Airplanes have numerous fail safe mechanisms in place and they have physical space for those extra failsafe mechanisms. And regulations for all of this.

I’d love to see what failsafe backups the CT has
The financial risk to Tesla of not doing it right is enormous.

Tesla did wireless first not because it is hard, but because there is no upside in that choice for senior management in traditional car companies. But I assume it has existed in most/all of rear wheel steer vehicles to date.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
The financial risk to Tesla of not doing it right is enormous.

Tesla did wireless first not because it is hard, but because there is no upside in that choice for senior management in traditional car companies. But I assume it has existed in most/all of rear wheel steer vehicles to date.
Getting to my point, there’s real no upside to implementing steer by wire

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Airplanes have numerous fail safe mechanisms in place and they have physical space for those extra failsafe mechanisms. And regulations for all of this.

I’d love to see what failsafe backups the CT has
Triple failsafes, same as required by aircraft. It is addressed in the vid.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
You missed in your book where a company who never made a truck made and built one in short order that has better specs as a truck than anything else out there.
You're talking about Rivian here, right?
Because "built one in short order" can't mean the CT.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Getting to my point, there’s real no upside to implementing steer by wire
The CT goes to full lock on a half wheel turn at slow speeds. But the original motovation is probably "Robotaxi".

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
The CT goes to full lock on a half wheel turn at slow speeds. But the original motovation is probably "Robotaxi".
This isn’t good to me at all. It’s unpredictable. What if I want to turn my wheels just slightly, to go between two rocks or to go above a rise on the road to avoid other obstacles?

I didn’t know how that turning the wheel more than one 360 degree rotation was ever huge problem!

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Aircraft have regulations for all of this. What regulations are there for cars for this?
LOL. It feels like you are picking a fight where one is not needed, but if DBW bothers ya, I can't judge for that. I do think we will see more of it soon.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
LOL. It feels like you are picking a fight where one is not needed, but if DBW bothers ya, I can't judge for that. I do think we will see more of it soon.
Lol, only someone who idolizes Tesla would characterize this as “picking a fight”. You’re the same guy who ridiculed Rivian for having software developers outside of the U.S. right?

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
That's not an engineering marvel in my book. Yes, it's challenging, it's hard work, it's problem solving, it's time consuming - but it's still gluing together existing, well developed tech that others created.

To be an engineering marvel, in my book it has to be new and groundbreaking achievements and solutions - not solving problems related to designing and building a mashup of existing tech/products. The Hadron Collider, a lot of what Space X has done, the Space Shuttle, the ISS, Hubbel, Skylab, the Venice Tide Barriers, the Chunnel, the Panama Canal. Sorry, CT isn't even close to these.
The Model S was a groundbreaking design when it launched. The first real long range EV with decent charging speeds and a completely new vehicle hardware architecture

Since then Tesla has been mostly iterative in their designs.

Honestly no major ground breaking designs have made it to the market since. The closest in my mind would be Lucid’s powertrain.

The Cybertruck just packages some newer technologies in one vehicle. The stainless steel body isn’t ground breaking because it won’t make it into any other vehicles and doesn’t offer any serious advantages for a typical vehicle.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

A number of detailes are missing. For example, the head Tesla vehicle engineer said that cracks don't spread in the windshield. Also one reviewer said that at least the top config has a front locker.

I think Tesla wants potential buyers "on the fence" to choose a different Tesla that they can deliver soon
So they throw some PPF film on the glass from the factory, ok.

So when steer by wire fails on the Cybertruck when you’re driving (and it will with non-zero probability), are you supposed to press the left and right steering wheel buttons, wait 5 minutes for reboot, and in the mean time, hope you have 5 minutes of straight roads and no cars, obstacles ahead of you?

Steer by wire looks more like a solution waiting for a problem for me.

In addition, I can’t imagine using steer by wire when going off-roading. Where low speed precision steering is really important
Given Teslas pension for fast and loose software, steer by wire with them terrifies me. Lexus and airplanes? No fear.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I mean the 800v has nothing to do with the pack being able to hold a longer 250kW or 350kW; that is related to the ability of the pack to move waste heat and cell characteristics (I.e. will they put up with a ~3C charge rate).
I'm actually wondering about this. If the battery splits into 2 x 400v packs to accept 800v, is it an 800v pack to begin with? It will be interesting to grab canbus data.
Sponsored