Sponsored

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Last month I had a slow leak in a tire and decided it was time to get the tires rotated so I headed into a local tire shop (with my EV SportLine Jack Pucks) to have it all done. The nearest Rivian service center is almost 4 hours away from me. (Orlando)

After the flat repair and rotation was finished the tire tech came out and said that the front passenger side CV and brake was covered in grease and I would want to get that looked at. (Pictured below)

I sent in photos via the Rivian app and made an appt at the Orlando service center over the phone. I asked them for a time quote as the Rivian is my only vehicle and I needed to know how long it would take. Would I need to rent a vehicle? Would the vehicle be done in two hours or two weeks? They couldn't tell me over the phone, so I just decided to make the appointment on a Friday in the morning and hope to have it done by the end of the day and not have to rent a vehicle to drive home and return later. But, I get that they don't have all their processes in order yet. And they may not have known exactly what needed to be done from my pictures and description until they actually had the vehicle in their possession.

I arrived at the service center in the morning and was greeted by someone outside who brought me in, introduced me to my rep for the day and she got me all setup. Unfortunately, I never use any key other than my phone, and of course I didn't bring my fob or card that day. So, the service rep had me add the tech to the truck through the rivian app and that gave him full access. No big deal.

My tech told me it would take him 2-3 hours IF he had the parts in stock. So, he went and checked and said yes he had the CV axle replacement that was needed. I assumed I was just going to wait in the waiting area (they don't have one by the way, just a few chairs in a corner of their office, they don't have a separate waiting area like a typical vehicle service center or dealer would have) so the rep was able to get me a Loaner R1T (Green with 22's) and I was off to enjoy sunny Orlando for a few hours while they worked on my truck. Got a call a few hours later and returned to pick up my truck. Only had to hit the EA Charger in Daytona Beach for 27 minutes to get me plenty of buffer to get home.

All in all my Orlando service center experience was great, the employees were very professional and efficient. And getting a loaner R1T for a few hours instead of sitting in the corner of their office for 3 hours was the icing on the cake.

Rivian R1T R1S CV Replacement and Orlando Service Center Experience IMG_5787
Sponsored

swaggner

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3M / Rivian R1T (future)
Clubs

Thanks for sharing your experience. Did they give an indication of what failed with the CV?

Out of curiosity, did you have any driveline noise prior to the fix? Was the truck quieter after the fix?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Love hearing about good experiences!

Surprised there's not a waiting area in Orlando. Seems like an oversight.

OP
OP
FutureTruck

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for sharing your experience. Did they give an indication of what failed with the CV?

Out of curiosity, did you have any driveline noise prior to the fix? Was the truck quieter after the fix?
The service tech stated in the notes "Small Tear in the outer CV boot". I have no idea what caused this. The vehicle has never been off-road, and it was covered as a warranty item. And why a small tear would cause the entire CV axle to need replacing. I haven't noticed any changes, but my wife (who drives it more than I do) says she felt like she had heard from "clicking" from that corner before the fix. Her hearing is much better than mine!

OP
OP
FutureTruck

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Well, there's 3 chairs and a restroom. So, there's something.

Sponsored

Jose13zara

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity phev

Miami has a full waiting full of books similar in a way to what their Venice hub would be because I have not been at Venice location just going by photos

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Seems like it is a common issue. My front right cv axel was replaced due to having a cut in the dust boot. Also outside one...
A month or 2 later I was in service again and they replaced it again because it had the same issue. Adviser told me most likely tech who replaced it at 1st time accidentally cut a hole in it...
I never went off-roading or so between 1st and 2nd occasion...

Nix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No Dox
The service tech stated in the notes "Small Tear in the outer CV boot". I have no idea what caused this. The vehicle has never been off-road, and it was covered as a warranty item. And why a small tear would cause the entire CV axle to need replacing. I haven't noticed any changes, but my wife (who drives it more than I do) says she felt like she had heard from "clicking" from that corner before the fix. Her hearing is much better than mine!

Any time there is a tear in the CV boot, the assumption is that dirt got inside and prematurely wore the joint. The choice is to either replace the whole joint, or flush it and repack it and hope the wear doesn't accelerate. To replace the boot, the entire joint needs to be removed anyways and the joint pressed apart and then everything pressed back together and put back in. It is labor intensive.

So it is a numbers game. If it is cheaper in the long term to do the job once and use a new part vs. putting in all the extra labor and then risk having to do the job twice and still have to use a new part.
Sponsored