Sponsored

Custom electric camp stove for the gear tunnel debuts at Overland Expo

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Get a load of this. — "Users can light their surroundings and cook using the vehicle’s power for over a week using only 20 kWh– or 11%– of the largest 180kWh Rivian battery pack." — Who's hungry?

Rivian R1T R1S Custom electric camp stove for the gear tunnel debuts at Overland Expo rivian-r1t-cook-stove

Rivian R1T R1S Custom electric camp stove for the gear tunnel debuts at Overland Expo rivian-r1t-cook-stove

Rivian Press Release:

May 17, 2019, Flagstaff, AZ – Electric adventure vehicle maker Rivian introduced its five-passenger R1T pickup to the attendees of Overland West at Fort Tuthill County Park in Flagstaff, Arizona.

The R1T is the first EV to appear at an Overland event.

“We’ve been coming to Overland for a few years now, learning from this community how they use their vehicles,” said Rivian Creative Director Larry Parker. “Much of what we’ve learned from Overland attendees has gone into our product design.”

Electric vehicles are inherently quiet and produce zero emissions. Rivian’s EVs feature quad-motor all-wheel drive, class-leading ground clearance, and over 400 miles of range. The Rivian R1T, along with the Rivian R1S SUV, deliver immense torque which provides optimal performance on unpredictable terrain and with heavy loads.

The R1T displayed at Overland West features a custom electric camp stove powered by the vehicle’s battery pack. The stove slides out from the vehicle’s gear tunnel for use, providing emissions-free kitchen capability.

Overland is a ten-year-old festival dedicated to the practice and gear of overlanding, a self-contained, vehicle- based exploration style inspired by safaris and other extended travel. Camping, cooking and outdoor recreation are at the core of overlanding.

Meet the R1T: The R1T will be at all three days of Overland West. At 2PM on Friday the 17th, 9AM and 2PM on Saturday the 18th, and at 1PM on Sunday the 19th, the Rivian team will be conducting walkarounds of the R1T, diving deep into the features that differentiate the vehicle from other outdoor vehicles and EVs.

The Outdoors and the R1T: facts and features
  • -With 750 horsepower and immense torque, the R1T comes designed for heavy loads and can tow up to 11,000 pounds.
  • -A ‘gear tunnel’ and front trunk allow for much more sealable storage found in a conventional off-road vehicle.
  • -At 180kwh, the R1T has the world’s largest, most durable automotive battery pack.
  • -The R1T and R1S offer up to 14 inches of ground clearance with adjustable air suspension.
  • -During downhill braking the R1T restores over half the energy used on the same upslope.
  • -Detailed, downloadable maps are available in the R1T’s user interface, so you can navigate even when offline.
  • -The R1T comes with a built-in air compressor and alarmed gear security loops.
  • -Users can light their surroundings and cook using the vehicle’s power for over a week using only 20 kWh– or 11%– of the largest 180kWh Rivian battery pack.
  • -The R1T is powered by four independent 200hp motors for maximum power and control.
  • -With its fully sealed battery pack and drive units, the R1T can wade through up to three feet of water.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ACDC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Outback, 2012 Tacoma
Hah that is wicked cool! This gear tunnel is ripe for the aftermarket to develop all kinds of innovative products which have never been seen before on any vehicle, ICE or EV.

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Emissions free cooking :like::rock:

And is that a new tent accessory? Haven't seen it before.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

No. It is nothing new. In one of the original Rivian videos, the truck is at the beach with a Rivian-branded Tepui tent mounted over the bed and deployed. I am not sure who makes that tent in the above ad.

OP
OP
SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Here are more details. Note, the kitchen prototype will be available as an option when the R1T launches, Rivian says.
・・・
Inspired by past trips to @OverlandExpo, we’re excited to introduce our mobile kitchen prototype. It showcases just one of the many ways to utilize the extra storage space in the #R1T.
The unit slides right out of the gear tunnel and incorporates two induction burners, a sink and 5 gallons of water storage. It was designed to keep all your cookware, place settings and coffee equipment organized while you’re out in the wild. And yes — it will be available at launch.

Sponsored

THOR

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW wagon
This is great. I am excited to see that a set of mounting locations are available for a full extension drawer. I don't want a kitchen, but I would love a tray or bins rather than reaching into the tunnel.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I LIKE IT!! Love induction cooking...cook with it at home all the time. I bet that will be a very pricey little addition, though.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
I noticed he said in the vid “available skid plates.”

Again making me wonder how many add ons you’re going to have to get the truck they are showing. We really need prices and option lists.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The battery already has protection. The skid plates would add an additional layer. Also per other videos with Brian I've seen, the price, color, and option list will be sent out to preorder customers at the end of this year for those customers to spec out their Rivians.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
He did say the optional skid plates would be to protect the motors.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

He did say the optional skid plates would be to protect the motors.
My apologies. I missed that. Honestly though, no different than buying a truck from Ford, Nissan, or Chevy... You but a truck and depending on the package you get skid plates or not.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
The battery already has protection. The skid plates would add an additional layer. Also per other videos with Brian I've seen, the price, color, and option list will be sent out to preorder customers at the end of this year for those customers to spec out their Rivians.
Being a preorder customer I'm looking forward to the opportunity to spec out my R1T.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
The more Rivian tries to promote the R1T as a camper the more turned off I"m getting about the truck. There are many choices out there for a COMFORTABLE small camper without range anxiety. Still a reservation holder of over 6 months.

Last edited:

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Being a preorder customer I'm looking forward to the opportunity to spec out my R1T.
Agreed. I was somewhat late to the show as I didn't preorder until I saw it in person at the NYIAS April 20th. I can't wait for that email.
Sponsored