Custom Cab High Crossbars

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
What is the height from the bed rail to the roof cross bars when they are installed? Have been looking at the racks that are coming to market, and none of them seem to be at the same level.
Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
What is the height from the bed rail to the roof cross bars when they are installed? Have been looking at the racks that are coming to market, and none of them seem to be at the same level.
Maybe this will help a bit. I cannot confirm the accuracy of these measurements, but assume they are pretty close.
Rivian R1T R1S Custom Cab High Crossbars ECE60982-5957-4F32-AE13-7942026A8B84

HobieOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
I designed and made these cab high crossbars. I'm thinking about going into production of these and was wondering how much interest there might be. They install using the existing anchor points on the bedrails in under 5 minutes. I use the Yakima heavy duty bars so all the accessories that work on the Rivian crossbars work. In the picture with 20' lumber on top I'm using the Yakima Load Stops.

R1T Cab High Crossbars Side View.jpg
R1T Cab High Crossbars Rear View.jpg
R1T Cab High Crossbars with 20' Truss Joist.jpg' Truss Joist.jpg
I have an R1T on order and am thinking about ways to carry my Hobie Tandem Island. It's a 19' kayak that weighs approximately 120lbs. I currently cartop it on my Subaru Outback, though I had to modify the crossbars by bolting them to the roof 60" apart in order to get the boat to balance safely.

For the R1T, I would definitely need at least one elevated crossbar in the forward position (closer to the cab) at the same height as the cab crossbars to create a good balanced spread. And in the rear position of the bed, a low cross bar as a load support would be nice but not essential.

So, if these rear bars were adjustable, I would lower the rear one to my liking. My delivery isn't until 2024 so hopefully by then something will come along that suits my needs.

Attached is a rough photoshop mockup to better visualize what I mean.
Rivian R1T R1S Custom Cab High Crossbars rivian with custom crossbars

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Received my range industries crossbars this week and had some time yesterday to put everything together. I'm super happy with the range industries crossbars. While they will take more time to take off and put on, there is no comparison between the factory crossbars and the range industries crossbars in terms of stability and strength. The extender is also very strong and stable and I would have no concern with putting lumber, kayaks, ladders etc on the rack. I do wish I had done the uprights shorter and the top bar wider but that's an easy fix cutting the uprights shorter and getting a longer section for the top bar though I'll probably just stick with this setup. Here are some pics:

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg
This is nice! If you donā€™t mind, could you say what the approximate cost was for the 80/20 parts you added?

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

With my previous Toyota pickups I had just made a 2x4 triangle that sat in the bed at the back to carry a canoe. As long as you have something to fix front/back motion, it would be great. Thinking @Brian's set-up would be effectively the same idea. I wouldn't trust anything heavy just on the tall bed rack since there would be a lot of leverage to rip out the attachment points (especially if you forget and do a launch or hard brake.) If it's also tied to rails that are fixed on the roof it shouldn't go anywhere.

Sponsored

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
This is nice! If you donā€™t mind, could you say what the approximate cost was for the 80/20 parts you added?
~500 with tax and shipping IIRC. You might be able to find the parts cheaper but it's nice that 8020.net is a one stop for everything you need. Certainly you could find nuts and studs cheaper on amazon. I haven't actually used it yet but hopefully soon.

I can't stress enough how much I like the range industries crossbars compared to the rivian bars, so much versatility!

Foggydew

First Name
F John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica
Occupation
Business owner
I am interested. I would primarily use rt1 to haul two one man outrigger canoes
Sponsored