Sponsored

Current Tesla Owners: Moving to Rivian

Deleted member 6231

Tesla is for highways, Rivian for on and off road flexibility, and Cybertruck gives rocket tough steel in a sci-fi package. However, all rely on software, where Tesla has the advantage for the next several years. We also respect Toyota and Mercedes; the Land Cruiser and Sprinter are great proven vehicles for adventure.
Having had various Tesla for the last 9 years, it’s software is no better than anyone else’s. And, don’t get me started on their autopilot..
Sponsored

Deleted member 6231

Current 2017 Model S owner. That’s getting sold for a Model X but it’s been a long wait for that X! The R1T is replacing an LR4. The Tesla has been amazing, but what is so great about the R1T is that is is an EV Truck! That’s what keeps hitting me as I drive it, not so much the impressive EV performance but that you get all that in a true off-road, 4x4 design.
Having had the S and X..I got rid of my X and kept the S. In the end I’m getting the R1T and R1S and getting rid of both my S and Outback.

urundai

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model X
Suspension, motors and a new company. This is the honeymoon period.

Tesla is stingy with hardware features and still has had many issues. Rivian is generous with hardware features and won't escape significant issues.

IMO the assumption for Rivian should be good service, not a trouble free vehicle.
you may be right but that falcon door in my Model X alone is a hot mess and not sure if I would call it stingy hardware. Has been to the shop quite few times just for the falcon door sensors not working. One of the shop update broke trunk sensor and my trunk hit hard against the open garage door. Tesla service center refused to do anything with the ding on the door and advised me not to open the trunk of garage door is open.

overall, what you say is probably right for most Tesla models but Model X seems to be on its Own when it comes to complexity.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I have a dogwalking business, and take 12 large dogs to the beach M-F, I definately need a camper shell for the R1T or the R1S, without maybe the back seats.
12 large dogs concurrently? Don’t think they’ll fit in a 51”x54” pickup bed humanely.

You need a Rivian RCV. A van
https://rivian.com/fleet

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Great expierence with Tesla over last 4 years, various models, one reason we have confidence in Rivian and ordered R1T and R1S over three years ago. There is a time to buy and a time to sell but being early adopters is rewarding especially when over the air updates improve the performance of the car and home service works. Go Tesla, go Rivian, please replace that old computer free of charge! Both brands welcome, and we have room for more.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
We currently have a Model Y and are very satisfied with it. I am all in on BEV ownership and have R1T and a Dual Motor Cybertruck reservations.

The R1T will be the replacement for my Tacoma. I reserved the Explore model and deliveries begin in 2023. I will most likely take delivery of the Quad Motor R1T Explore next year and will contemplate selling it when the Dual Motor Cybertruck goes into production. It will all depend on the Rivian ownership experience, public charging satisfaction and revised Cybertruck pricing from 2019.

Rivian R1T R1S Current Tesla Owners: Moving to Rivian FB49A8E4-85FE-403D-8795-C9E7224FA18C
Rivian R1T R1S Current Tesla Owners: Moving to Rivian 78F50AA6-5F17-4FFD-B7FA-CF27F7BE1572

Last edited:

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
We've got an X and a Y, but I've been waiting for an EV truck since my first Tesla in 2015. At this point, it just depends whether my Rivian reservation comes up before my CT reservation.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We currently have a Model Y and are very satisfied with it. I am all in on BEV ownership and have R1T and a Dual Motor Cybertruck reservations.

The R1T will be the replacement for my Tacoma. I reserved the Explore model and deliveries begin in 2023. I will most likely take delivery of the Quad Motor R1T Explore next year and will contemplate selling it when the Dual Motor Cybertruck goes into production. It will all depend on the Rivian ownership experience, public charging satisfaction and revised Cybertruck pricing from 2019.

FB49A8E4-85FE-403D-8795-C9E7224FA18C.jpeg
78F50AA6-5F17-4FFD-B7FA-CF27F7BE1572.jpeg
The two are so different and long term will each benefit/influence the other, as they already do. Excited about each for different reasons, unique innovations. Real creativity at play requires hard work by both teams.

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, 488, Model X, Honda Clarity, 911, Jeep
Compared to the Model X or Y the Rivian seems to charge at a considerably slower rate than either Tesla. Also uses more energy for my typical commute compared to my Model Y, I guess this is to be expected due to its weight. I can see where I might run low on the battery on a busy weekend. Does anyone know if Tesla will allow you to charge on their SuperChargers yet.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Compared to the Model X or Y the Rivian seems to charge at a considerably slower rate than either Tesla. Also uses more energy for my typical commute compared to my Model Y, I guess this is to be expected due to its weight. I can see where I might run low on the battery on a busy weekend. Does anyone know if Tesla will allow you to charge on their SuperChargers yet.
Did a fast run in our X today from Jackson to Park City in inclement weather with snow, rain, and strong headwinds. 80+ MPH where legal, riding on winter tires. Just tough on the battery milage, two super charger stops. Keep them level 3 chargers coming!! Got to have lots of them when moving so much mass at speed.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I hear that. You are moving over 7,100 pounds of batteries, glass, metal, copper, rubber, plastic and aluminum. The R1T is a very porky mid size pickup truck.

PatrickLu86

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2020 Tesla Model X
Occupation
Military
I had a 2020 model S performance which I traded in after placing my pre order on the R1T last year. I switched to a somewhat beater Subaru because the trade in was really high on the Tesla and I knew I was going to end up with a rivian but i also figured I’d just use the time in between to save up. I absolutely loved my model s but the Rivian is a whole different level, plus my wife still has her model x so we didn’t completely leave Tesla.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
The Model S is still, for the money, one of the best cars you can buy. That's why I have kept my 2014 S for so long. (But I'm selling it when the Rivian comes in. ). From friends who have the Model 3 and Model Y they seem to be pretty great as well.

My parents have the Model X. It's a great car to drive, but I absolutely loathe so many things about it. The Falcon doors suck at everything. The Trunk sensors are overly conservative or, if they fail, slam in to the garage door. I've hit my head so many times trying to get in and out of this car. I would never buy one.

Don't get me started on the cyber prop. I'm so tired of people comparing it to the Rivian or the Hummer when it's not even a product yet. I think it's a bold design, but also a terribly dumb design which becomes more and more apparent as they try to make it in to a real car. Normal manufacturers make a distinction between concept cars and models they are actually producing but Tesla wants to fool it's "fans" in to thinking they can buy that concept car that they announced years ago when the actual product - if they even sell it - will be significantly different.

dzmconstr

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S 75D
Just curious to know how many out there are current or former Tesla owners who are considering a Rivian vehicle. I have a 2013 Tesla Model S. I've been largely pleased with it over the past 9 years, but after nearly a decade of driving this around in the Chicago climate, it's starting to show its age. I will probably be in the market some time in the next 2-3 years. The car has served me well, but I am not happy with the current direction of Tesla (and I can't stand the yoke), the continued issues with build quality, and the service is getting harder to tolerate.

I've been a closet pickup fan for most of my life, but I have no real need for a pickup (what person who drives into the city and works at a hospital needs a pickup?). But, that's not the point - I like the pickup.

In searching for a future vehicle, the things that will probably matter the most to me are service and the charging network. Interestingly, I had neither of them when I started in 2013. But, they are factors upon which I've come to depend and will factor heavily in my decision.

What are you Tesla owners concerned about or elated about? Thoughts from current Rivian owners (previous Tesla owners or not)???
Not replacing "S" (wife's car), but adding to inventory as my car by replacing a 2021 Tacoma.

Concerned about:
RAN Charging: seems to be a lot of fairy dust right now - has anyone actually seen or used a RAN charger in the wild?
Battery degradation, for comparison wife's 5 yr old "S" has lost 15 miles in 5 yrs.
Service centers and in their absence enough techs and vehicles to service in driveway without having to wait two months
Initial build quality

Dzm

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The pressure for Tesla to allow CCS1 charging comes from wanting access to federal funding for supercharger construction. With that funding in question Tesla is likely less motivated to make the change.

I would be surprised if some superchargers didn't allow CCS1 by mid decade. But I will guess that the most we will see from Tesla in the next 18 months is a trial.

Unfortunately with all EV manufacturers being supply constrained they have less motivation to worry about charging. It's hard to picture Rivian pouring money into charging given their production forecast.

Tesla owners being denied official CCS1 support probably does add pressure for Tesla to make changes
Sponsored