Sponsored

Current Tesla Owners: Moving to Rivian

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
* Neither of us is pleased with the ride quality on the MYP, so we’re casually looking for a replacement
Man if Tesla did a MY w/ Air Suspension and 450mile range.... call it a Grand Touring version. It would sell like hotcakes! Assumption is with new batteries they could fit enough cells to get that range w/o being too heavy.
Just did the Denver / Las Vegas and back last weekend in my MX (Raven), coming back it would have been great to NOT stop Richfield / Grand Junction.
Sponsored

sfnativekelly

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t R1s
Occupation
Dog walking business
Man oh man where do I begin. I think the nature of this question is... what are you looking for in a vehicle. I'm going to preface by saying that I've owned the following:

- 2014 P85 (50K miles) - to this day I will never forget this car it was incredible and somehow transported a 75G aquarium and stand in it 0_0
- 2017 Model 3 LR RWD (3k miles)
- 2018 Model 3 LR RWD (30K miles)
- 2020 Model Y Performance (1k miles)
- 2021 Model Y Dual Motor Long Range (5k miles)
- 2019 Model X 100D (30K Miles)
- 2021 Model S Plaid (Current)
- Drive my friends 2021 Model X LR Refresh

ICE Cars: I've had many form factors... and many brands

I know the list is quite long (and I have reasons for changing cars often). Unlike the horror stories you read online my Tesla experience (All of them) have been absolutely amazing and I do not experience these build quality issues or crap service. I literally did nothing to the cars (except replace tires).

First and foremost the form factor of what you want is critical. The R1S and Model X are semi-close in terms of form factor but the R1S has what Tesla will never have and that is a boxy shape.

Service - hopefully you won't need it, but in my experience it's 11/10 at Rivian. Like man they make me feel like a million bucks. With that said, Rivian is also doing things quite differently than Tesla. Build out service infrastructure first an not after (there's many reasons why they can do this vs Tesla at the time but I'll save that for another day).

Charging - it is nowhere near Tesla, but this is the issue all of the other EV makers are relying on third parties. I know areas outside of me it's better but right now... I don't have any good DC fast charging but this is just a matter of time (I hope).

R1T - there is no other pickup truck that's an EV on the market right now, but what I'll say is I wanted a truck bed for my home depot runs. There is a big downside that I hope the aftermarket addresses but it has to do with my family situation (if you have 2 car seats and 2 dogs) there needs to be a cap for the bed. I can put 2 dogs and 2 car seats in my plaid because of the hatch. I feel you on the point of not being a "pick up person," but in those RARE situations you need the bed you'll be thankful (and so will your friends who will inevitably ask you to borrow it-- legitimately happened 4x already). If you are coming from an S, this truck is longer-- I cannot emphasize this enough it's long.

Also, go into it with the right expectations software wise. You probably will since you have a 13 S, but a lot of people are expecting Rivian to have everything in one shot and match what Tesla offers right away. They need to chill. I love Tesla as well but they had 10 years of essentially trial an error and ability to add features as time went on and for critical things (ie. manufacturing) to improve.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Chances are I should make a video of this but we'll see.
I have a dogwalking business, and take 12 large dogs to the beach M-F, I definately need a camper shell for the R1T or the R1S, without maybe the back seats.

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
2015 Model S 85D that I purchased from Tesla in Dec 2018. It has been a good car and love driving it. However, it is coming to the end of it’s 8 year battery/drive unit warranty and 4 year other warranty (one of the last 4 year warranties issued on a used car by Tesla). It is showing its age a bit and frankly, I want something new. At this time, won’t buy another Tesla as I don’t like their customer service (or lack thereof) and the yoke steering wheel is not my thing.

As both I and the partner have gotten older, getting in and out of the Model S is becoming more problematic. So, definitely want something that sits a bit higher off of the ground.

Did test drive a Kia EV6 Wind a few weeks ago. I was very impressed and if I didn’t have an R1T coming s00n (hopefully this month or next month) I would have considered buying it. Also really interested in the Cadillac Lyriq but am most likely going to go with the R1T.

Really glad to see other manufacturers getting into the EV game. Tesla needs the competition and hopefully it will spur them to make changes.

Sponsored

Deleted member 6231

I currently have a Model 3 and love it but I am in the market for a new SUV. I will keep the Model 3 and I currently have a preorder for a R1S. I was initially thinking about a Model Y but the 7 seat option is not really practical and the prices increased about $10k in less than a year and the wait time is in line with my R1S so I didn’t go with the Y. In truth I would prefer a Model X seven seater if it wasn’t so corky with those crazy doors. I realize they have their uses but the added costs and the constant issues people have with the doors make it less appealing. I would still consider it over the R1S if the price was more reasonable but at $110,000 and a 12 month wait, it is way too high a price.

Other than the Model X and the R1S, there are no other true 7 seater electric SUVs coming to market anytime soon. I would not go ICE to get a new 7 seater SUV; once you go electric, it is hard to go back in time to doing oil changes, pumping gas, and using your break pedal. The biggest concern I have with the R1S, and the main reason I would go with a Model X over the R1S if I could, is the inefficiency of the R1S. If you compare the two models, it isn’t even close; the R1S gets a combined MPGe of 69 and the X gets 102; that is 48% more efficient for the X. I understand you need more power for the 4 motors in the R1S and one is for off-roading while the other is for mall parking lots but if the name of the game is to be more climate change conscious, then the R1S is pretty bad when compared to the Model X. It became apparent when I was planning my charging times with my Model 3 and my R1S and realized that the battery pack in the R1S is so large that I would need to upgrade the electric service in my house from 100 amps to 200 amps in order to run the R1S, Model 3, and the A/C unit all at the same time without risking blowing up my electric box. And it would still take over 12 hours to charge the R1S fully overnight using their higher level charger. If I tried charging the R1S with the same plug I use for my model 3, it would charge it at 15 miles per hour and it would take 20 hours to fully charge the battery. It takes my model 3 about 5 hours, max (much smaller battery). Since the truck is so inefficient, it needs a bigger battery and it takes much longer to charge. That’s the challenge with the R1S for me. But I digress. Still love the R1S but it’s battery size will be a challenge to deal with.

I had a 2018 Model X 75D for 3 years and I’d never buy another one. It‘s advertised range was 237 mi, but at 70 mph going downhill I’d be lucky to get 170 miles out of it. In addition, in year one, I had to replace all 4 air struts, 2 lower control arms, and the falcon door seals. Tesla simply made the car way too complicated than needed. I still have my 2015 Tesla Model S, but that will get traded when my R1T shows up.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I had a 2018 Model X 75D for 3 years and I’d never buy another one. It‘s advertised range was 237 mi, but at 70 mph going downhill I’d be lucky to get 170 miles out of it. In addition, in year one, I had to replace all 4 air struts, 2 lower control arms, and the falcon door seals. Tesla simply made the car way too complicated than needed. I still have my 2015 Tesla Model S, but that will get traded when my R1T shows up.
Rivian is likely worse, not better

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I have a dogwalking business, and take 12 large dogs to the beach M-F, I definately need a camper shell for the R1T or the R1S, without maybe the back seats.
Neither vehicle is appropriate IMO. Too nice, too small

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Genuinely curious: how so?
Suspension, motors and a new company. This is the honeymoon period.

Tesla is stingy with hardware features and still has had many issues. Rivian is generous with hardware features and won't escape significant issues.

IMO the assumption for Rivian should be good service, not a trouble free vehicle.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I’d go with R1T, unless you like your car full of sand.
Tesla is for highways, Rivian for on and off road flexibility, and Cybertruck gives rocket tough steel in a sci-fi package. However, all rely on software, where Tesla has the advantage for the next several years. We also respect Toyota and Mercedes; the Land Cruiser and Sprinter are great proven vehicles for adventure.

sfnativekelly

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t R1s
Occupation
Dog walking business
Neither vehicle is appropriate IMO. Too nice, too small
I just put a deposit on a plug in Pacifica minivan, which will be plenty big, as the dogs fit fine in my Ford Flex. Will keep my deposit on the R1S., though.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Suspension, motors and a new company. This is the honeymoon period.

Tesla is stingy with hardware features and still has had many issues. Rivian is generous with hardware features and won't escape significant issues.

IMO the assumption for Rivian should be good service, not a trouble free vehicle.
The 75kWh battery in the model x is notorious for being inefficient. Even when they updated it to the 'standard' with the raven update it didn't last much longer, i got one of the last of those.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Current 2017 Model S owner. That’s getting sold for a Model X but it’s been a long wait for that X! The R1T is replacing an LR4. The Tesla has been amazing, but what is so great about the R1T is that is is an EV Truck! That’s what keeps hitting me as I drive it, not so much the impressive EV performance but that you get all that in a true off-road, 4x4 design.
Sponsored