First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I was there April 5th and it was similarly packed. I had my First Mile drive in NJ a couple of weeks ago and they come from Brooklyn. Incredibly inefficient.
Yeah, that's the sad takeaway from this.... Rivian can build more vehicles then they can presently deliver. They need to go full Tesla at this point and automate as much of the build confirmation, doc submission, payment and delivery process as possible.

The Guide system is a useless waste of time for standard deliveries where no special arrangements are needed. It is quickly becoming the bottleneck between the factory and customer.
Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
The red and blue really pops out of the crowd :)

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Makes sense. It is the service/delivery center for the NY metro area. There are millions of people in NJ/NY/CT/Eastern PA, I would imagine there will be lots of Rivian driving around shortly.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That is a lot of trucks sitting and not being delivered.... Maybe this is all of the east coast trucks?
It just looks like a lot of trucks because you can see the curvature of the earth in the photo /s

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Ok, so what do you mean PA isn't allowing Rivian in yet? What does that mean? Cause it looks like my truck is sitting in that lot! Lol. If I pick it up, will they stop me at the border?? I did get an email awhile back stating my ETA is July-Sept but it is not on my account page and have not been contacted yet.
The only manufacturer allowed to sell direct-to-consumer in PA is Tesla and only by an exception to current policy. There is a proposed restructure to the policy to include other EV manufacturers, but it seems to be sitting idle. Accordingly, Rivian has avoided putting a service center in PA, so inbound vehicles will come from Ohio, Maryland, and perhaps NY. It's essentially handled as an out-of-state sale, even if they're dropping it on your doorstep.

Sponsored

Karen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
64c.impala, 75mgb, 93D.Dakota, 00Jeep,14 QX70,22R1
Clubs

The only manufacturer allowed to sell direct-to-consumer in PA is Tesla and only by an exception to current policy. There is a proposed restructure to the policy to include other EV manufacturers, but it seems to be sitting idle. Accordingly, Rivian has avoided putting a service center in PA, so inbound vehicles will come from Ohio, Maryland, and perhaps NY. It's essentially handled as an out-of-state sale, even if they're dropping it on your doorstep.
Hey, thanks so much for the info. So, hopefully, my delivery window holds, hmm.

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
In my very humble opinion, they should've chosen a location in NJ instead. The congestion in and around NYC is atrocious. 30 minutes out, say Morristown/Parsippany area, would give them highway access to the entire northeast as well as easy public transportation for NYC customers.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Thanks for adding this as that is exactly the situation. It is why Lucid has service and showroom centers in NJ and NY but not PA. On another thread there had been rumors of a DE site which would easily cover the Philadelphia suburbs.
Sorry Karen if my post was not clear enough.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah I'd hope they are going to setup NJ, CT, PA, upstate NY and more. There are 20M people in the nyc metro area alone. And nearly 60M people in the northeast which is like 40% more than California which has like 5? service centers.

Reactions: Guy

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Not one R1s in sight....

Sponsored

VinsRiv

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Would any one know if the Brooklyn showroom is open yet

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I would think there's plenty of orders from the NY metropolitan area to fill that lot. Traffic is so bad in and out of Brooklyn that it wouldn't be my first choice for distribution to anywhere else in the country.
By far one of dumbest things they did. Traffic congestion, tolls, etc. it just doesnā€™t make sense.

Unfortunately, isnā€™t there a ban on direct sales in almost all the surrounding states?

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
By far one of dumbest things they did. Traffic congestion, tolls, etc. it just doesnā€™t make sense.

Unfortunately, isnā€™t there a ban on direct sales in almost all the surrounding states?
I'm sure it was the only place they could buy/lease quickly that could service NYC and Long Island. Huge markets for this product. Big open spaces in NYC are not plentiful.

It comes back to their home delivery model being a bottleneck. Even more evident in Brooklyn where there are space constraints - don't use up lot space to store flatbeds. Make the customer wait in traffic, not the flatbeds, etc.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It comes back to their home delivery model being a bottleneck. Even more evident in Brooklyn where there are space constraints - don't use up lot space to store flatbeds. Make the customer wait in traffic, not the flatbeds, etc.
Iā€˜m sure someone sat down and said if we build 90k a year, 5 days a week over 50 states it is only 7 vehicles a day per state to deliver. The problem is that model falls under a lot of pressure when you get backed up.

Iā€™m sure the vast majority would prefer a factory or SC pickup option leaving the home delivery as an option they could add an additional cost to. That would certainly relieve the delivery pressure assuming it is delivery and not final prep that is the bottle neck.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

My guess would be pa/nj up to Maine
New England is delivered out of the Boston SCā€¦ Iā€™d bet Brooklyn delivery radius is something like New Haven to the north, Philly to the south? Is there a Philly SC?
Sponsored