Sponsored

Credit card with cashback bonus for EV charging?

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Not to get too OT, search for "best cashback credit card" usually yields a lot of results. I like this 2% one:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/credit-cards/wells-fargo-active-cash

I like this one because I don't have to think about it. Other cards are 3%, 4%, 5% on different "categories". And some have additional bonuses that you can add through their apps. But for just grabbing a card quick out of your wallet, this might be worth checking out. I got tired of putting labels on which card to use for what. 😆
No cap cashback 2% cards are pretty common and 2.5% is easy to get from Alliant and IIRC a few others. I'm wondering about EV specific bonus categories. The Penfed Platinum looks like what I'll get for this purpose unless I can find something better.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
My NFCU Amex is 3% on gas, groceries, and restaurants. When I got the truck I sent a message asking if they planned to add EV charging. The reply was no, but it sounded like a great idea and they were going to forward it up. Crickets since.

Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Didn’t think it was rude. Anyone who’s head isn’t in the sand would know
Well, now that is rude.

I guess I'm too old. I remember when people on the Internet tried to help and encourage other people. Instead of saying "you're an idiot for not knowing blah blah" on a completely OT and unrelated thread. Especially from someone with a name like "CommodoreAmiga".

Just speaking as someone who was helping other Amiga users for over a quarter century in forums and user groups, I'm disappointed in these responses. But whatevs. This is a car forum, not a finance site. Move along if you don't have anything positive to contribute. 🙄

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
No cap cashback 2% cards are pretty common and 2.5% is easy to get from Alliant and IIRC a few others. I'm wondering about EV specific bonus categories. The Penfed Platinum looks like what I'll get for this purpose unless I can find something better.
It's a good card. I usually redeem my points for gift cards to various places, and if you're patient, the gift cards occasionally go on sale to places that rarely have discounts like Lowe's or Home Depot at 10% off. Makes my money go farther. No charge to get physical gift cards mailed to you if that's your thing.

3% on groceries/restaurants isn't bad either, especially since it includes Walmart and Target for in-store purchases.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Rivian (or EA or whatever) should release a CC and the rewards can be charging credits on RAN (or EA or whatever). That is something I would be interested in assuming the rewards were better than I could get with cashback on a normal card.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

Apple Card is 2% cash back anywhere you tap-to-pay, and I've not seen a DC Fast Charger yet that didn't have tap-to-pay as an option. If you aren't going to go with the native app for the charging network you are using, this is a pretty rewarding option.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Citi offered me to change to a new card that offered cash back on EV charging. However, it dropped some other cash back offers I had. I don't expect to be charging that much away from home to make it worthwhile.

Sponsored

Cory

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The BMW motorrad card through elan financial has a 6x points at any EV charging. If you spend $10 you get 60 points.

boxedlunch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Preorder R1S
Bumping this old thread because Bluedot is now available for open signups at www.thebluedot.co. If you like gaming financial instruments for an extra few percent here & there, this might be for you. Not sure how long they're gonna last while lighting VC $$$ on fire, but looks like deposits are protected by the bank they're partnered with (unless I misread).

Notes:
  • They issue a virtual debit card to you and you have to load it with funds (min $20?)...can load via other debit card (+ other methods that I can't recall...maybe Plaid?). FYSA, my first attempt got hit with a fraud alert by Wells Fargo. Chase worked fine. Virtual card can be added to Apple Pay.
  • $0.30/kWh for in-app L3 charging sessions. No membership needed. As a comparison, the EvGo station I used today would've cost $0.99+$0.58/kWh through the EvGo app w/no membership. Not all charging networks are available for in-app activation.
  • First $10 in-app charge session is free. App said the offer was only good for first 72 hrs account was open. Confirmed this worked at an EvGo charger today (1/11/24). My 33.408 kWh session cost me $0.02 out of my debit card balance.
  • There are bonus categories w/ higher rewards when using the virtual debit card (20% back for EV charging, 5% grocery, 5% Auto Insurance, 5% Car Washes, 5% Clothes, 4% Pet, 2% everywhere else for now, for example). Some have limits on max reward per transaction. You're stuck with the redemption scheme for "Oxygen" points with a $25 cash out minimum and some other rules.

Here's a a referral code to enter while signing up, just in case anyone wants to be a pal: 'arielk5093'
  • Referred user must open an account & spend >=$100 in one transaction using their new debit card to trigger a $25 bonus for me. Suggest paying for a few bags of fancy dog food, hitting the grocery store for a mid-week trip, or buying yourself some nice new threads. My auto loan balance will thank you (not really, but appreciate nonetheless).

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

That sounds promising, I'll have to research some cons. Currently use my Costco card

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

I have my Costco card set as primary payment in the Rivian app as well as all other EV Charging providers such as EA, EVGo, ChargePoint, etc. Gives me 4% back.
Sponsored