Sponsored

Crash Test Coming Soon?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
They recently took possession of three trucks. Crash test results should be coming out soon.

OP
OP

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

They recently took possession of three trucks. Crash test results should be coming out soon.
Yeah. Sounds like they had to test the machines before they could test the trucks. With that testing completed, we just wait for the truck test results.

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Interesting, I was just thinking last night that I hadnā€™t seen the crash test results. It wonā€™t change my buying decision, but it would be nice to know.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I am curious to see if NHTSA thought the whole process thru. Obviously the battery has to be installed on the truck, and all of the impacts, side, rear, front, could possibly intrude on that battery.

What kind of fire suppression systems do they have in place? We know water is no good..

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I am curious to see if NHTSA thought the whole process thru. Obviously the battery has to be installed on the truck, and all of the impacts, side, rear, front, could possibly intrude on that battery.

What kind of fire suppression systems do they have in place? We know water is no good..
Doubly interesting regarding not only how they would contain a fire if one starts... but it wold look really, really bad (for Rivian) if a battery fire started from crash testing a Rivian.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Doubly interesting regarding not only how they would contain a fire if one starts... but it wold look really, really bad (for Rivian) if a battery fire started from crash testing a Rivian.
Take it one step further than that.. Who says they are crash testing it with a fully charged battery, which could be a limiting factor on the accuracy of the test.. Least I would think it would be.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ Yes, for scientific accuracy (and in the name of occupant safety) ... the batt should be at or near full SOC when crashed.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
^ Yes, for scientific accuracy (and in the name of occupant safety) ... the batt should be at or near full SOC when crashed.
I disagree. They are testing crash worthiness of the structure and not the battery catching fire. ICE vehicles are tested with no fuel in order to alleviate post crash fire risks, EVs should be tested with fully discharged batteries for the same reason.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I would completely disagree with that.. A fuel tank is not structural, but added to as a component. And they couldnt make it structural because of the expansion of the fuel vapor, and because of the catalyst systems. Because of this, no fuel is needed.

Where as the Skateboard Battery is a added frame stiffer, or cross brace. It is part of the safety structure.

There is even going to be a weight difference from a charged battery, to a discharged battery, although minimal, it does still exist.

Its all relative in the grand scheme of things for this vehicle.

Its not like we are talking a small array of batteries that are tucked under the seat (Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade) or behind the seat (Civic/Accord/Prius?).

Not to mention the added weight would lay credence to the roll over potential from a frontal offset accident because of the weight.

I would be curious now that you mention that to see if the Tesla had batteries during testing. I am guessing it did. Unfortunately, it would be hard to find out because of a insurance fraud thing that happened with Tesla and a Insurance provider using PyroTechnics to ignite.

https://www.google.com/search?q=was...HWvTAgcQ_AUoAHoECAIQAg&biw=1920&bih=929&dpr=1

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Why in earth would the battery pack be removed for crash testing? It constitutes a significant portion of the vehicleā€™s mass, and provides stiffening of the ladder frame.

Itā€™s not as if This is the first battery electric vehicle to be crash tested.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I just saw crash testing with the new Canoo vehicle. Batteries or a comparable mass was left in place as they demonstrated the roll over safety with the low center of gravity.
Sponsored