Sponsored

Crack sound after sitting for hours

R1TLG20BM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE vehicles
Just recently noticed in the last week or so that the truck has a very clear and somewhat loud cracking sound when I engage and reverse out of the garage in the morning. Has sat for about 12 hours and I did recently change from all purpose to conserve (and back again - all drive modes changed when stopped of course). I rarely change drive modes, and almost always drive in all purpose mode barring a few off road trips.

Felt like there was a lurch to get the truck moving initially, which is why I bring up the recent drive mode changes. Anyone else? Seemed a bit too mechanical to be of no concern. You guys always seemed to have figured everything out before CS, so sourcing the experts first is all. Thanks ahead of time!
Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Not an R1 but sounds like what happens every Monday if I haven't driven my Leaf since Friday.
Agreed with @jjswan33 that it's likely the brakes seized up a bit.

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just recently noticed in the last week or so that the truck has a very clear and somewhat loud cracking sound when I engage and reverse out of the garage in the morning. Has sat for about 12 hours and I did recently change from all purpose to conserve (and back again - all drive modes changed when stopped of course). I rarely change drive modes, and almost always drive in all purpose mode barring a few off road trips.

Felt like there was a lurch to get the truck moving initially, which is why I bring up the recent drive mode changes. Anyone else? Seemed a bit too mechanical to be of no concern. You guys always seemed to have figured everything out before CS, so sourcing the experts first is all. Thanks ahead of time!
I misunderstood based on the title. I thought it was a different type of crack sound and was going to suggest eating something different when road tripping.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I get this in the winter when there's crud on the rotors which accumulates and/or freezes. Had the same thing on my Teslas and sure enough, the R1T started doing it after a few ski days. Don't think it's anything to worry about.

Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

Mine does the same thing. One tire rotation backing out of the garage and a loud clank. The steering wheel jerks slightly. Hadn’t thought about debris on the brakes but my nose always comes from the front left area.