Sponsored

Cox Automotive Consumer Survey 1/22/2021

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I saw that Cox Automotive recently did an online consumer survey of potential truck buyers: https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-insights/consumer-snapshot-electric-pickup-trucks/

Obviously, Cox Automotive is a Rivian investor, and the survey was online and quite small (155 potential truck buyers). Nonetheless, some interesting stuff in here to look at.

39% of people in the market for a truck in the next two years would consider an electric truck. The price of an electric truck will be a huge factor. The electric F-150 will be huge if Ford can bring it to market at a reasonable price/performance.

I also liked that all the R1T's attributes were rated higher than every Cybertruck attribute except for "brand." (Tesla fans might point out they don't disclose what version of the Cybertruck was used as a comparison.)

pickup truck shoppers in this study were not overly impressed — ranking Tesla the lowest across the gamut of attributes that mean the most to pickup truck shoppers. Only on the strength of the Telsa name was Cybertruck able to best the Rivian RT1.
Maybe this is also a slight public nudge by Rivian's investor about the need for more brand awareness and just more of the same marketing:

Rivian is a relative unknown in the market and faces an uphill challenge in competing with better known brands like Ford, Hummer and Tesla. Rivian has no dealer network yet, no stores, no history. However, the traditional proportions of the RT1 are familiar to shoppers (unlike with Cybertruck), and Rivian’s imagery and communications clearly speak a language that pickup truck buyers understand.
Sponsored

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Saw that yesterday. I thought the most interesting aspect were the findings on the image survey. It goes to show how much weight the “Tesla” brand carries, how unknown Rivian brand is to the public... and how much more popular the Rivian design is with the female than male population.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I get a kick out of the dealership comments in stories like these, like not having a dealership is a negative. Yeah, we all want to see the vehicle, test drive the vehicle, etc, but not having to go into a Ford dealership is a huge win.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Cox doesn't even know the correct name of Rivian's truck.
Sponsored