First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Lol, don't disagree with your comment, but car dealerships are a prime example of big money using power and influence in a capitalist society to bend laws to their will. This was done decades ago and now direct to consumer manufactures (ie. Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc) need to lobby and fight to have these laws and rules overturned.
See that’s why I specifically said “free market” in free market capitalism the role of the state is ensure an equal and fair playing field for all parties. I agree that cronyism and corruption are certainly things in our country, but they aren’t supposed to be.

That’s where we the people need to start some grassroots campaigns to get these laws changed. The politicians cannot deny the will of the people if the people care enough and are willing to vote them out for their transgressions. Idealistic I know, but we need to remember where the mark is even if we fall short.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

With the case update this evening the hearing scheduled for this afternoon that previously showed a status of “Proceeding” has changed to “Off.” No further explanation is showing tonight.
Rivian R1T R1S Court hears Buick dealer bid to kill Rivian service center B5A4F1FA-E709-4E46-941B-A439F1096D39

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Update: the remote court hearing that was originally on the calendar for March 23 is now on the court calendar for April 3 at 10:00 a.m. and will be live streamed. Rivian’s counsel will ask the judge to dismiss the case brought by a local Buick dealer that objects to Rivian having been granted a zoning variance to open a Rivian service center.

Rivian R1T R1S Court hears Buick dealer bid to kill Rivian service center 9364FFE6-35A1-4AD2-94EE-5FB2051E5959

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have always perceived many car dealers as unscrupulous businesses if not outright crooks. We were not even aware that these laws existed prior to Tesla showing up on the scene.

It goes to show that if you have the right lobbyists to pander your legislators, you can get laws and regulations made to your specifications.

Brian

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

It took ChatGPT literally two seconds to offer some insights for our consideration:

What would cause direct to customer models to replace traditional dealerships more rapidly?

There are several factors that could accelerate the shift towards direct-to-customer models and potentially replace traditional dealerships more rapidly:

Advancements in technology: As technology continues to advance, it is becoming easier for car manufacturers to sell and distribute vehicles directly to customers. For example, online marketplaces and virtual showrooms are making it easier for customers to research, customize, and purchase vehicles without ever setting foot in a dealership.

Changing consumer behavior: Many consumers are becoming more comfortable with online shopping and are looking for convenient, hassle-free experiences when making major purchases such as a vehicle. Direct-to-customer models that offer a more streamlined buying process could appeal to these consumers.

Disintermediation: As supply chains become more efficient and global, traditional middlemen such as dealerships could become less relevant. By selling directly to customers, manufacturers can eliminate the costs and complexity associated with maintaining a dealership network.
Electric and autonomous vehicles: The rise of electric and autonomous vehicles is likely to disrupt the traditional automotive industry in many ways. Direct-to-customer models could be particularly well-suited to selling these types of vehicles, as they require less maintenance and are often sold as part of a subscription service.

Regulatory changes: Governments around the world are beginning to impose stricter emissions standards and other regulations on the automotive industry. Direct-to-customer models could allow manufacturers to better control the distribution and environmental impact of their vehicles.
While it is difficult to predict exactly how and when direct-to-customer models will replace traditional dealerships, these factors are likely to play an important role in shaping the future of the automotive industry.

Explain more about your regulatory changes point.

Regulatory changes are a significant factor that could accelerate the shift towards direct-to-customer models in the automotive industry. Governments around the world are imposing stricter emissions standards and other regulations on the industry to reduce air pollution, improve fuel efficiency, and promote the use of electric vehicles.

In many cases, these regulations are designed to encourage the adoption of cleaner and more efficient vehicles, which could make it more difficult for traditional gasoline-powered vehicles to meet these standards. This could create a competitive advantage for electric vehicle manufacturers, who may be better positioned to meet these requirements.

Direct-to-customer models could be particularly well-suited to selling electric vehicles, as they often require less maintenance than traditional gasoline-powered vehicles and may be sold as part of a subscription service. This could make it easier for customers to switch to electric vehicles and comply with new regulations.

Furthermore, by selling directly to customers, manufacturers can better control the environmental impact of their vehicles. They can offer incentives for customers to recycle their old vehicles, promote the use of renewable energy sources, and encourage sustainable transportation practices.

In some countries, governments are also introducing regulations that restrict or limit the number of traditional dealerships that can operate in a given area. This could create opportunities for manufacturers to sell directly to customers in these markets and reduce their reliance on dealerships.

Overall, regulatory changes are likely to play a significant role in shaping the future of the automotive industry and could accelerate the shift towards direct-to-customer models.

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
This dealer really puts the “ick” in Buick.

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The superior court calendar shows the twice delayed hearing of Rivian’s motion to dismiss the local Buick dealer’s lawsuit is on for tomorrow at 3:00 pm. Eastern

The virtual court hearing can be watched live online. To watch at 3:00 pm Tuesday, use this link. Choose the 3:00 pm TD Properties case and then scroll down and press the red button to watch the live hearing on YouTube.

https://jud.ct.gov/PublicAccess/CourtList.aspx?d=AnsoniaMilford

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The court hearing in Connecticut Superior Court on Rivian’s motion to dismiss the Buick dealer’s lawsuit objecting to Rivian getting zoning approval for a Rivian service center was heard today. While the judge’s ruling is now pending, his sharp questioning of the dealership’s lawyer’s legal arguments during today’s hearing gave me the impression the case may get dismissed. The judge did not appear persuaded the Buick dealer had proved it was legally aggrieved by Rivian getting zoning approval, and without proving that the dealer would not have standing.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
The court hearing in Connecticut Superior Court on Rivian’s motion to dismiss the Buick dealer’s lawsuit objecting to Rivian getting zoning approval for a Rivian service center was heard today. While the judge’s ruling is now pending, his sharp questioning of the dealership’s lawyer’s legal arguments during today’s hearing gave me the impression the case may get dismissed. The judge did not appear persuaded the Buick dealer had proved it was legally aggrieved by Rivian getting zoning approval, and without proving that the dealer would not have standing.
Appreciate your keeping track of this!

CJdergroĂźe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Management
No one is cross shopping a Buick and a Rivian I can assure you.
Until this post, I forgot Buick still existed. I thought GM axed them with Oldsmobile...

This reinforces why I hate stealerships, they have to fight the change to delay their deaths. This is my 2nd car, first a Tesla, not wasting my time with a salesman, haggling, going to F&I. Why is this still a thing?

The biggest "hope" I have from all the Tesla sales, is that normal people will be exposed to the dealer-less model, and realize what a waste of time and money it is.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
No one is cross shopping a Buick and a Rivian I can assure you.
Is there anyone under the age of 75 who is shopping for a Buick? Seriously... Their latest advertising where they pretend it's entry-level luxury and all these trendy and hip people in their early 30's actually want one is just cringey.

I don't even get why GM keeps the Buick label on life support.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Is there anyone under the age of 75 who is shopping for a Buick? Seriously... Their latest advertising where they pretend it's entry-level luxury and all these trendy and hip people in their early 30's actually want one is just cringey.

I don't even get why GM keeps the Buick label on life support.
The young ladies that like the self parallel parking feature may disagree

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
The young ladies that like the self parallel parking feature may disagree
Can't tell if you're being serious or not.... And that's not a feature that's going to pull people to Buick over any other brand, as GM is offering it across their brands. I had self parking / park-assist on my Explorer almost 10 years ago. Zzzzz....
Sponsored