Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

This afternoon, a Connecticut Superior Court judge will hear a local Buick dealer’s claim that the City of Shelton’s Zoning Commission should not have given Rivian the okay to establish a Rivian service center in an existing commercial building in the city. The Buick dealer will argue Rivian might possibly engage in illegal vehicle sales activities at the service center in the future and the Rivian service center would cause unfair competition because the direct vehicle sales model is more efficient than their dealership sales model. Rivian will argue the local Buick dealer has no standing under Connecticut law to challenge the zoning commission’s approval to use the property as a vehicle service center. Rivian will ask the judge to dismiss the case.

The Shelton service center would be Rivian’s first service center in Connecticut. If the dealer’s effort in Superior Court fails today, Rivian would next need to obtain a vehicle service business license from the Connecticut Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.

You can watch the live stream of this hearing today at 3:00 p.m. Eastern. From the attached link to today’s docket tap the only Courtroom 1 case today - (TD Properties LLC v. Planning and Zoning) the one at 3:00 p.m. Then scroll down to the bottom of the docket for today and there is a red button that takes you to the live stream of the hearing at 3:00 p.m. today. If you are interested, the case detail link next to that red button will take you to the Buick dealer’s filed legal argument and Rivian’s filed response.

Here is the link to the docket:
https://jud.ct.gov/PublicAccess/CourtList.aspx?d=AnsoniaMilford
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
When you actually hear the court arguments in these cases, they all boil down to “It’s not fair because their business model is better than ours!”

Wah.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I really hope with Covid and the dealer up charges that have been going on dealers finally go to hell...

Honestly I think most people just want the Amazon car shopping. Spec out exactly the car you want and it gets delivered to you.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Last time I checked the USA was a free market capitalist country. Under free market capitalism shitty and inefficient businesses get replaced all the time.

This Buick dealer should move to China with their commie bullshit.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Last time I checked the USA was a free market capitalist country. Under free market capitalism shitty and inefficient businesses get replaced all the time.

I mean I don't think Buick will be around much longer anyway their current line up has been reduced to three crappy crossovers now.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I really hope with Covid and the dealer up charges that have been going on dealers finally go to hell...

Honestly I think most people just want the Amazon car shopping. Spec out exactly the car you want and it gets delivered to you.
Me, yes! with free two day shipping 😂…I cancelled my LE R1 because Rivian couldn’t/wouldn’t sell it to me. Hopefully this bodes well for the end of the traditional dealership model…

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

They should probably add in that they could maybe possibly sell people cocaine if they have a service center, which I'm assuming is also illegal under CT law

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

No one is cross shopping a Buick and a Rivian I can assure you.
Agree with that. I’m not sure why the plaintiffs are just the local Buick dealership and the owner of the dealership’s property. The same D’Addario family owns a GMC, a Cadillac and a Nissan dealership in the same “auto row” as their Buick dealership in Shelton Connecticut. They’re presumably fighting to stop the establishment of Rivian‘s service center out of concern for the perceived “foot in the door” threat to their collection of GM brand dealerships and their Nissan dealership.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Who is logging into the live stream only to say "IS THAT A BUICK?!" when they put a Rivian on Screen.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata

Lol, don't disagree with your comment, but car dealerships are a prime example of big money using power and influence in a capitalist society to bend laws to their will. This was done decades ago and now direct to consumer manufactures (ie. Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc) need to lobby and fight to have these laws and rules overturned.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Apparently I missed it, anything of note?

OP
OP
Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Apparently I missed it, anything of note?
I was monitoring and live stream never began. I will check the case record online tomorrow after the update and see if the hearing was rescheduled or it occurred but just didn‘t live stream for some reason.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
I was monitoring and live stream never began. I will check the case record online tomorrow after the update and see if the hearing was rescheduled or it occurred but just didn‘t live stream for some reason.
In the true spirit of Buick, the Zoom feed broke down.
Sponsored