Sponsored

Couldn't hard reset my Rivian R1T - anyone else?

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Hello, I am a R1S owner and currently on a road trip from CA to AZ. I have been in the Phoenix area for a little over a week already. Today, my R1S suddenly lost the cellular connection and the Rivian map stopped working; and the SOS light is on too. I tried soft resetting but it didn’t fix the problem. I tried hard reset and it just timed me out. I had a phone support agent stepped me through but the results were the same. I’m currently sitting in the customer lounge at Phoenix Rivian Service and seems to me that they don’t know what is going on either . I also noticed the surrounding car and pedestrian graphics on the front display were gone too.

I am just curious if anyone had the same experience?

thanks
Sponsored

pnwbob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi, would love an update on this issue - what was the problem and how was it resolved?
The same problem happened to us yesterday, logged an issue and waiting for Rivian support to respond.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Wow, I thought they would have fixed this bug by now.

This happened to me last fall. When the communications module fails (which it has if cellular is broken), the truck attempts to send a report just before rebooting. When that fails, it doesn't reboot. I had to wait about 1.5 months to get the truck towed to an SC (5 hours away to the factory), but I've heard they now do these via mobile service.

It's absurd they haven't prevented that issue, since the only fix for it is a 12V disconnect. And those are complex enough they won't walk you through them (they need a laptop hooked up to clear certain errors, apparently).

It's not entirely impossible that your comms module has failed completely, which means they might have to order a replacement part.

While the issue is fixable over software, this is honestly one of the first issues that genuinely makes me frustrated, since they've known about the issue since last fall. There's no excuse in requiring a 12V reset to reboot the vehicle—reboots should be allowed to continue no matter _what_ error occurs during shutdown (excluding possibly a legit concern that the 12V system would fail due to low power levels).

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
Hi, would love an update on this issue - what was the problem and how was it resolved?
The same problem happened to us yesterday, logged an issue and waiting for Rivian support to respond.
I just got my truck back today for same problem. They replaced my TCM module. It took 2days to repair along with an air leak in my suspension. Every thing is okay now but makes me worried to do another OTA update if this will happen again. Side note when I picked up my truck the tech left the cowl that’s in the frunk off and was laying on top of my bed. Lucky I didn’t drive off without seeing it. When I was on the freeway I was hearing some clicking noise over bumps and drove back to the SC to complain. They were going to get a tech to do a road test with me, but as I was looking out the window at my truck I saw the problem. They left all 4 plastic covers where the jack pucks go hanging and was hitting the ground. Guess it’s true about getting your car worked on a Friday near closing time.

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
I’m currently having the same problem on my November build R1S. They said it was a failure during a software update. Going to the new cincinnati service center Thursday to get it sorted out along with my original punch list of minor issues I’ve had since delivery.

Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I have a service visit scheduled for comm failure (GPS is wonky as there is no real-time tracking) also not getting any audio from any source. Had 6 problem-free months so I hope this is just a glitch and not the beginning of a disappointing chapter.

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have a service visit scheduled for comm failure (GPS is wonky as there is no real-time tracking) also not getting any audio from any source. Had 6 problem-free months so I hope this is just a glitch and not the beginning of a disappointing chapter.
That only happened to me once... crossing my fingers. It happened right at and after a carwash place. I suspect the workers touched the control screen in some sequences that the car didn't like... I now make sure my screen is on the music screen so they can touch it however they want without damages.

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
It was fixed by a completed reboot (complete power disconnection) which can only be done by the tech. None of those push two buttons at the same time.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I’m currently having the same problem on my November build R1S. They said it was a failure during a software update. Going to the new cincinnati service center Thursday to get it sorted out along with my original punch list of minor issues I’ve had since delivery.
Happened to me during the .14 update. They replaced the TMC. got a service appointment in 8 days and work took 2.5

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Mine is going in for this too. No sort of connectivity (LTE, Wifi, GPS) and wont do a hard reset either.
Sponsored