Sponsored

Could Rivian offer a retrofit battery upgrade in future?

zpyroro

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rivian R1T, 2021 Volvo XC40
Occupation
web designer
Anybody think that Rivian could offer a battery upgrade?
Get a 135 kwh now and upgrade to 180 later?
The battery packs are modular I think???? Why couldn't they add the extra later on?

Anybody got an opinion
Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I don't even want that upgrade. I want an upgrade to solid state once it is available.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Last edited:

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Yes they could. For the low low price of $40,000 you too can turn in your 135 pack for a 180 lol.

It’s not trivial to change the pack, but a few forum members (maybe only one?) had a fatal battery problem and had the whole pack replaced. I think they said it took 6-8 hours, as it involved removing the body from the frame.

Bottom line: it’s not something they’ll offer in a year or two if you wish you had the bigger battery. But maybe in 10 years, assuming they still exist and are thriving, for a sum.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The max pack most likely has a different footprint that means changes to the frame on the Rivian.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I doubt it. Maybe aftermarket will but that’s like ford or gm selling new engines to the public. They don’t do that but you can buy an aftermarket one.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I doubt it. Maybe aftermarket will but that’s like ford or gm selling new engines to the public. They don’t do that but you can buy an aftermarket one.
They do, actually. E.g.,:

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/engine/new-gas-engines

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/crate-engines

But the previous point still stands. From a schematic shown in another thread, the frame in Rivian should be the same, but removing the body to swap out is a non-trivial process that won't be cheap.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
They do, actually. E.g.,:

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/engine/new-gas-engines

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/crate-engines

But the previous point still stands. From a schematic shown in another thread, the frame in Rivian should be the same, but removing the body to swap out is a non-trivial process that won't be cheap.
Huh. That’s cool that they do now. Still don’t think you’ll be able to upgrade the battery. Maybe a direct replacement but no upgrading unless it’s aftermarket.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I don't even want that upgrade. I want an upgrade to solid state once it is available.
That's the only battery upgrade I'd do, but I would be surprised if they use the same pack design for SS battery packs when they start moving in that direction to allow for a 1:1 swap.

That said, I'll probably be ready to replace the R1T by the time those are making it into Rivians.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yes they could. For the low low price of $40,000 you too can turn in your 135 pack for a 180 lol.
Speaking hypothetically here should such a swap ever become an option, you wouldn't be paying the full price of a new battery as you would be exchanging the old battery which has value for 2nd life or recycling (ie, core charge refund).

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Keep in mind we're not talking about flashlight batteries here. Not only would the pack change significantly in this scenario, but so would the BMS and thermal management which implies significant software changes as well as potential hardware changes outside the battery pack. If there were a significant enough change in mass, even things like the suspension tuning would need to be revised.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I think we will see a true scalable battery breakthrough in 5-years or so.

A decade from now we are going to laugh at the humungous size, weight and range of todays battery packs. Technology marches on.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Anybody think that Rivian could offer a battery upgrade?
Get a 135 kwh now and upgrade to 180 later?
The battery packs are modular I think???? Why couldn't they add the extra later on?

Anybody got an opinion
Just wait for your max pack

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It's unlikely there will be anything other than an exact replacement with same voltage, kwh and physical form factor, whether's it Rivian or 3rd party. There's simply no way to increase power density unless it's a new cell chemistry/technology, and that would almost certainly require changes to the Battery Management System hardware and software. Can't see that happening in the mass market. Maybe EV tuner shops will pop up, like BMW tuners Hamann and Dinan?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Many early Tesla buyers were convinced that future battery upgrades would be inexpensive and plentiful. The problem is that technology changes too much to make that practical. Also, no manufacturer has interest in this sort of upgrade because it is unprofitable use of resources. Tesla produced a roadster battery replacement they promised years late and it was expensive.

Plan on trading for a new vehicle if you want more. An R1T in three years will be superior to what is offered today.

Rivian, like Tesla, has a lot of ideas about what could be done. including removable batteries in the bed. but when the realities of achieving profitable production slaps the new manufacturer across the face these ideas usually die.

I don't plan to keep any EV past warranty, especially if resale remains good. I keep gas cars as long as I like them.
Sponsored