First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Titan/2005 Honda Accord/2017 Zero DSR
Occupation
Radiology Technologist
Has any of you “numbers” guys/gals calculated the cost of ownership of Rivian over the 8yr warranty period? Vs a similarly priced ICE?

I know there are many situational factors to consider. I’m wanting to bet that Rivian will be more cost effective over time
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kenshaka

Kenshaka

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Titan/2005 Honda Accord/2017 Zero DSR
Occupation
Radiology Technologist

Sponsored

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
If you compare it to 750 HP trucks, it's cheaper to buy, and electricity is cheaper than gas in most areas.

If you are buying an EV to save money, it's not a wise decision. If you are buying one for performance, then it's a good decision.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I am not that concerned with that specific item because if you are dumping 70K+ on a car, then couple of thousands on cost over 8 years isn't a factor. However, I did save a lot mainly due to gas prices in my area are much higher than electric. But if you drive 30 minutes west, the electricity is so expensive it cost more than gas.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I know this is mentioned elsewhere, but some states (like Georgia where I live) tack on an annual alternative fuel vehicle fee at time of registration renewal. Georgia's is currently $214, so that eats into the gas savings.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
I know this is mentioned elsewhere, but some states (like Georgia where I live) tack on an annual alternative fuel vehicle fee at time of registration renewal. Georgia's is currently $214, so that eats into the gas savings.
Two Georgia specific points, that may or may not apply elsewhere:

1. While this fee exists, it at least does come with some benefits. You can drive in the HOV lane, even if driving solo; and you can use some of the pay-express lanes throughout GA as well. Commuting from the North Atlanta suburbs to downtown, the use of the HOV lane was well worth the $200/year. This is a fringe benefit and shouldn’t impact decisions to buy, but did want to point it out.

2. I should know this, but I don’t. That fee only applies if you buy the EV tag, right? If you get a regular GA tag, then I didn’t think you had to pay it. So I believe it’s optional.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Two Georgia specific points, that may or may not apply elsewhere:

1. While this fee exists, it at least does come with some benefits. You can drive in the HOV lane, even if driving solo; and you can use some of the pay-express lanes throughout GA as well. Commuting from the North Atlanta suburbs to downtown, the use of the HOV lane was well worth the $200/year. This is a fringe benefit and shouldn’t impact decisions to buy, but did want to point it out.

2. I should know this, but I don’t. That fee only applies if you buy the EV tag, right? If you get a regular GA tag, then I didn’t think you had to pay it. So I believe it’s optional.
To clarify Georgia Law as far as I understand it: The HOV lane EV tag is a one time $25 manufacturing fee and then an $35 extra annual fee (on top of normal $20 per anum registration fee). This is separate from the Annual EV tax of $214 you pay per HB-170 (see attached). So if you pay for the tag, a BEV such as a R1T would incur ~$249 a year above what a ICE driver would pay.

Rivian R1T R1S Cost of Ownership: Rivian vs. Ice 1620308120227

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
That's not true unfortunately. Even without the special tag you still are supposed to pay the fee per HB-170 (see attached):
1620308120227.png
These fees are typically to recover the lost gas tax revenue intended to pay for infrastructure.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Agreed. Just commenting that it factors into traditional cost of ownership comparisons between BEV and ICE vehicles

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
These fees are typically to recover the lost gas tax revenue intended to pay for infrastructure.
That is what they are designed for but they tend to be over priced in general. They need to go to a vehicle weight and miles driven fee structure paid as part of your registration and get rid of gas taxes. That would be more equitable and better reflect the usage impact of the vehicles. They also do not take into account what additional electricity taxes you could be paying.

Average annual mileage for a private vehicle in the US is 13,474 miles

Examples (Georgia gas tax is 28.7 cents per gallon). To pay 214 dollars in gas taxes you would have to drive the annual average in a vehicle getting 17.4 MPG. If you are below the annual average it is even more of a negative impact to an EV owner;

EV 214.00

MPG - Annual Tax paid
35 - 107.79
30 - 125.76
25 - 150.91
20 - 188.64
17.6 - 214.36
15 - 251.51
10 - 377.27

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Utah gives you the option of a flat fee or per mile fee. Not sure how they determine your mileage, but the option was there when I renewed my registration recently.
Sponsored