SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Does anyone know the cost of charging an EV at a public charging station? I have tried to research this on-line, but there does not seem to be straight answer.

Brian
Sponsored

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
Download ABRP and you can see it a couple ways

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Some stations charge by the Kwh and other by the minute. Go to Electrify America's website and click on any station near you. That will give you a decent idea of how much to replenish your electrons.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
It really depends. From company to company and station to station. Also, some companies (like EA) have a discounted rate depending on whether you are a premium member or not. If you're looking for a rough estimate, my wife and I just did a cross-country trip in her Volvo XC40 Recharge and a typical charge at EA from ~15%->90% was $20.00 to $24.00 each time.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
In most States EA can charge by the kwh. In those states it's $0.43/kwh if you aren't a premium member, or $0.31/kwh with a $4 monthly cost. In States where they can't resale electricity they have to bill by time, so that will vary a lot.

EVGO and chargepoint will have different costs.

Sponsored

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Does anyone know the cost of charging an EV at a public charging station? I have tried to research this on-line, but there does not seem to be straight answer.

Brian
There is no simple answer really, but for EA you can check here:
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing/
You seem to be from Florida, where they charge per kWh which makes it pretty simple. $0.43/kWh if you're not a member, $0.31/kWh if you're pass+ member. Membership costs $4 a month.

But of course there are many networks and prices are different on each of them. Also in some states EA charges per minute.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist

Brian
again it's the old adage : If you have to ask ..

- it is not cheap to be green , that much we do know.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
hey , reality is what it is. The truth is often painful - but false hope ultimately hurts even more.
No. Saying "if you have to ask" isn't helpful, and it's an idiotic saying. The wealthiest people I've ever met still ask what the hell something costs before they buy it. OP was likely just curious, and your response ads zero value. Asking the question doesn't mean they are worried that charging costs will make the truck unattainable for them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
moosetags

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

It really depends. From company to company and station to station. Also, some companies (like EA) have a discounted rate depending on whether you are a premium member or not. If you're looking for a rough estimate, my wife and I just did a cross-country trip in her Volvo XC40 Recharge and a typical charge at EA from ~15%->90% was $20.00 to $24.00 each time.
If I am reading this correctly, You can get about 600 miles for $50. That would be about half the cost of Diesel fuel for my Silverado Duramax.

Brian

Last edited:

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Got our first EV this March and have 20k miles on it now. I have spent a LOT of time building a spreadsheet of charging and such. We do the VAST majority of charging at home. But if you had to charge only at public chargers:

Doing some rough calculations-
Information needed:
Efficiency -
typical EV car 3ish miles/kw avg across driving conditions (300 wh/mi + inevitable energy loss while charging)
Rivian - roughly 2ish miles/kw avg across driving conditions based on EPA

Cost/KW -
Depends on carrier, but let’s stick with EA at .31/kw here and the $4/month

So $0.31 gets you 3 miles in a standard EV car and 2 in a Rivian.

So to go roughly 100 miles in an EV sedan = $10.23
100 miles in a Rivian = $15.50
To both of those you divide out that $4 monthly EA subscription by the total miles you drive in an average month. Assuming 1k/mo that is theoretically the average American that comes out to adding $.40/100 miles

100 miles in typical ice car at 35 miles/ga @ $4/ga (our WA prices right now) = $11.43
100 miles in a typical truck at 18 miles/ga @$4/ga = $22.22

You can adjust numbers from there to get a sense based on what you drive and how you drive. We get better than average efficiency so our costs would be lower. We have saved roughly $2600 in nine months on fuel and oil because of the $.09/kw at home charging. Your mileage may vary.

Have a good one!

Last edited:

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

No. Saying "if you have to ask" isn't helpful, and it's an idiotic saying. The wealthiest people I've ever met still ask what the hell something costs before they buy it. OP was likely just curious, and your response ads zero value. Asking the question doesn't mean they are worried that charging costs will make the truck unattainable for them.
I love replies like this to posts I can't see. Means my choice to ignore was on the right track lol. But makes me wonder what they say, sometimes lol, and which one said it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I love replies like this to posts I can't see. Means my choice to ignore was on the right track lol. But makes me wonder what they say, sometimes lol, and which one said it.
I kind of miss PeaShooter for the same reason.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Got our first EV this March and have 20k miles on it now. I have spent a LOT of time building a spreadsheet of charging and such. We do the VAST majority of charging at home. But if you had to charge only at public chargers:

Doing some rough calculations-
Information needed:
Efficiency -
typical EV car 3ish miles/kw avg across driving conditions (300 wh/mi + inevitable energy loss while charging)
Rivian - roughly 2ish miles/kw avg across driving conditions based on EPA

Cost/KW -
Depends on carrier, but let’s stick with EA at .31/kw here and the $4/month

So $0.31 gets you 3 miles in a standard EV car and 2 in a Rivian.

So to go roughly 100 miles in an EV sedan = $10.23
100 miles in a Rivian = $15.50
To both of those you divide out that $4 monthly EA subscription by the total miles you drive in an average month. Assuming 1k/mo that is theoretically the average American that comes out to adding $.40/100 miles

100 miles in typical ice car at 35 miles/ga @ $4/ga (our WA prices right now) = $11.43
100 miles in a typical truck at 18 miles/ga @$4/ga = $22.22

You can adjust numbers from there to get a sense based on what you drive and how you drive. We get better than average efficiency so our costs would be lower. We have saved roughly $2600 in nine months on fuel and oil because of the $.09/kw at home charging. Your mileage may vary.

Have a good one!
This almost make the case for PHEVs like Rave4 prime.
Sponsored