Corner of Frunk Hitting When Opening/Closing

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Today we were out and I noticed what appeared to be dirt under the corner of the PPF that is on the frunk. I immediately thought oh great the PPF installer didn’t get the edge set correctly and it was lifting. I got the PPF cleaned and pushed back down.

Then went to close the frunk and noticed that driver’s side back corner of the frunk was hitting the rubber on the fender when it opens/closes. This contact is scuffing the PPF and causing it to lift. Luckily I noticed this without much use of the frunk and no paint damage.

I just submitted for service to see if they can fix this when they are scheduled to fix a few other things on 9/23. I’m going to see if they will cover having the PPF replaced because now the frunk will not be wrapped in that area if I have it trimmed because of the damage. We’ll see how this one goes.

Anyone else have similar issues? Was it an easy fix by service?

Sponsored

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
your Hood an fenders are not installed properly. Those gaps are two tight up at the corners of the hood.

I had to send my truck in twice for this before they kinda got it better.
Had to take of the whole front end of the truck (bumper/grill, both fenders and hood) and reinstall. Added some scratches and chips in the process. Finally gave up and worked on it myself, I got it about 90%. Had to get Rivian to send me some clips I found broken from the two service attempts.

try taking it to a Porsche certified body shop and get a quote for them to fix it. Ask Rivian to pay for someone with actually body work experience to do the work.

OP
OP

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
your Hood an fenders are not installed properly. Those gaps are two tight up at the corners of the hood.

I had to send my truck in twice for this before they kinda got it better.
Had to take of the whole front end of the truck (bumper/grill, both fenders and hood) and reinstall. Added some scratches and chips in the process. Finally gave up and worked on it myself, I got it about 90%. Had to get Rivian to send me some clips I found broken from the two service attempts.

try taking it to a Porsche certified body shop and get a quote for them to fix it. Ask Rivian to pay for someone with actually body work experience to do the work.
Interesting. The gaps are actually tighter on the passenger side (~4mm) than they are on the driver side (~5mm)…..passenger side is OK and driver side is the problem. Definitely something to keep in mind though when Rivian responds with a game plan.

The gaps/fit of the fenders/frunk are actually pretty good and uniform.

I didn’t watch the passenger side to see if it behaves the same way as the driver with how it moves, so I can’t say if they are the same or not. I might do this later though.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Interesting. The gaps are actually tighter on the passenger side (~4mm) than they are on the driver side (~5mm)…..passenger side is OK and driver side is the problem. Definitely something to keep in mind though when Rivian responds with a game plan.

The gaps/fit of the fenders/frunk are actually pretty good and uniform.

I didn’t watch the passenger side to see if it behaves the same way as the driver with how it moves, so I can’t say if they are the same or not. I might do this later though.
With body work you can’t just adjust one panel otherwise you just move the problem. They probably need to relax the fenders a bit and shift tue hood forward a bit. I wouldn’t let the Rivian service techs do it. Have a trusted body shop with a 5 star yelp rating (or Porsche certification) do the work. Rivian service takes a trial and error and retry approach. Body shop guys know all the tricks from their years of experience. No body shop guys are working the service bay at Rivian.
I bet they will pay for it to be fixed somewhere you trust if you ask them.

OP
OP

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
With body work you can’t just adjust one panel otherwise you just move the problem. They probably need to relax the fenders a bit and shift tue hood forward a bit. I wouldn’t let the Rivian service techs do it. Have a trusted body shop with a 5 star yelp rating (or Porsche certification) do the work. Rivian service takes a trial and error and retry approach. Body shop guys know all the tricks from their years of experience. No body shop guys are working the service bay at Rivian.
I bet they will pay for it to be fixed somewhere you trust if you ask them.
Definitely makes sense. I may swing by the body shop we had work on my wife’s Audi before to talk to them about it to see what they say. They do all work for the local Audi/Volvo/etc dealers.

I may turn off the auto open/close to see if it still makes contact when in manual mode.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I was having the exact same issue, in the exact same spot and it was rubbing my PPF. Took it back to my detailer on Friday and they trimmed the PPF on the fender and hood side and no more rubbing. Easy fix and you cannot even see where they trimmed the PPF.
Sponsored