Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
1641848710402.png

Is Rivian getting into the Ebike Game?
Would not surprise me in any way. I wonder if they'd buy an existing company (like cannondale).
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Does this mean we can only buy the crossbars from Rivian since they are patend? I figured this would be an item aftermarket would end up remaking cheaper.
Not necessarily. If someone comes up with a "material improvement" on Rivian's design, it would not be an infringement, and could even be issued an improvement patent. Example: Assume Rivian's expanding bar has a weight limit. Someone in theory could design a heavier, stronger bar that would not be an infringement. Patent law is goofy.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
That top one is SUPER interesting. Thermal storage is something I've been following closely, due to a number of very cool potential applications.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

That top one is SUPER interesting. Thermal storage is something I've been following closely, due to a number of very cool potential applications.
The present inventor has observed a need for an enhanced thermal management system for electric vehicles that may mitigate degradation of the vehicle range due to extremes of environmental conditions. Exemplary approaches described herein may address such needs.

According to one example, an automotive electric vehicle system includes a high voltage battery system including an enclosure, an electric powertrain system, a radiator, coolant lines that permit coolant flow between the high voltage battery system, the power train system and the radiator, one or more valves for routing coolant along the coolant lines, and a controller configured to control the valves to facilitate the flow of coolant among a plurality of different, selectable coolant flow states involving the high voltage battery system, the powertrain system, and the radiator.

According to another example, a heat transfer system for an electric vehicle includes coolant lines that permit flow of coolant between a high voltage battery system, a power train system, and a radiator. The heat transfer system also includes one or more valves for routing coolant along the coolant lines and a controller configured to control the valves to facilitate the flow of coolant among a plurality of different, selectable coolant flow states involving the high voltage battery system, the powertrain system, and the radiator. The high voltage battery system is configured to serve as a source of heat for another vehicle system.

According to yet another example a method of controlling heat flow between systems of an electric automotive vehicle includes receiving, by at least one data processor, external data to the electric vehicle and sensor data from one or more sensors of the electric vehicle. The electric vehicle includes a high voltage battery system, a powertrain system, and a radiator. A coolant flow state is determined from a plurality of different, selectable coolant flow states involving the high voltage battery system, the powertrain system, and the radiator. Output is provided to a controller to facilitate control of the coolant flow state.

Rivian R1T R1S Cool Rivian Patent/TradeMark Info 1650339805537

Sounds a lot like conditioning, heat control/extraction to me where it can take that stored heat/energy and route it to where it needs to go (High Voltage Batteries) @SeaGeo. The beginings of the idea of "pre-conditioning".

Last edited:

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds a lot like conditioning, heat control/extraction to me where it can take that stored heat/energy and route it to where it needs to go (High Voltage Batteries) @SeaGeo
It's funny, I was thinking about the tapering earlier and the how the A/C seems to be turning on late. It made me wonder if the something like the pack is cool, but a component is heating up and the system isn't sure how to cool the component without over cooling the pack.

It's things like this patent (and others) that make the lack of preconditioning and apparent lack if predictive thermal management so confusing. They've clearly thought about it.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

It's funny, I was thinking about the tapering earlier and the how the A/C seems to be turning on late. It made me wonder if the something like the pack is cool, but a component is heating up and the system isn't sure how to cool the component without over cooling the pack.

It's things like this patent (and others) that make the lack of preconditioning and apparent lack if predictive thermal management so confusing. They've clearly thought about it.
Agreed. I simply think a lot more is around the corner, they aren't trying to half bake it all and playing it safe. Hoping for it soon so lets see, would be nice when we finally get our vehicles to get it with a few software revisions already installed making our outings a bit more easier.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Hoping for it soon so lets see, would be nice when we finally get our vehicles to get it with a few software revisions already installed making our outings a bit more easier.
Lol, I've had the same thought. This tapering business would drove me batty. Especially w the current s/w build. I'd honestly probably plug into 150kw stations instead of a 350.

And then watch it coldgate because the 150kw stations isn't warming the pack up enough. 😂

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Lol, I've had the same thought. This tapering business would drove me batty. Especially w the current s/w build. I'd honestly probably plug into 150kw stations instead of a 350.

And then watch it coldgate because the 150kw stations isn't warming the pack up enough. 😂

I think @OutofSpecKyle mentioned he will run some Dyno Fans from the Trucks Own power plugs to get cooling/thermals going for good temp balance in one of his recent videos. Manual Conditioning it is!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think @OutofSpecKyle mentioned he will run some Dyno Fans from the Trucks Own power plugs to get cooling/thermals going for good temp balance in one of his recent videos. Manual Conditioning it is!
I was joking with @rhuber that I'm going to add more liquid cooling to it like an old school overclocked gaming PC. Gotta one up @OutofSpecKyle.
Sponsored