Sponsored

Conserve Mode real world range for 21s and 22s wheels?

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Just curious. Most of the conserve tests I have seen are on 20s (293). Wondering what people are getting in conserve on 21s and 22s . . . .
Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Alex on Autos got 338 miles on 21’s

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I do a frequent 165 mile trip to our cabin. Half freeway at 70mph and half state highway at 60 mph. 21 inch wheels in conserv. I consistently get 2.7 to 3.0 miles per kWh. That is 340 to 370 mile range on a full battery.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I just switched from 20" all-terrains to 21" stock wheels with no aero covers and with 5mm spacers to push them out a little for appearance and thus far, my small sampling size appears to reflect about a 0.3 mile per / wh gain in range.

Was really surprised with how much quieter the street tires are versus the all-terrains. Being that I likely will never go off-road with it, thinking my styling just changed from off-road oriented to sport truck oriented. Great thing about this truck is, simply switch the wheels, press a button the suspension settings in the truck and you can go back and forth as you please!

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I just switched from 20" all-terrains to 21" stock wheels with no aero covers and with 5mm spacers to push them out a little for appearance and thus far, my small sampling size appears to reflect about a 0.3 mile per / wh gain in range.

Was really surprised with how much quieter the street tires are versus the all-terrains. Being that I likely will never go off-road with it, thinking my styling just changed from off-road oriented to sport truck oriented. Great thing about this truck is, simply switch the wheels, press a button the suspension settings in the truck and you can go back and forth as you please!
kizamybute, how many full rotations of the wheel nuts did you get with the 5mm spacers installed? Are your spacers RIVIAN hub centric? Any issues? Thx!

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

kizamybute, how many full rotations of the wheel nuts did you get with the 5mm spacers installed? Are your spacers RIVIAN hub centric? Any issues? Thx!
Sorry, I didn't count exactly. I manually put on about 5 threads to get them started, then used an impact gun the rest of the way. It spun several times. I would say AT LEAST 10, probably more.

And no, I just got the standard spacers for now. I may have some made up if I decide to stick with the 21's. Simply wanted to try them out and see how I feel about them after having them on the truck for a few weeks.

With the range benefits, they're making a strong case for themselves. Being that I had more than enough threads left over, if I make up a set of hub-centric spacers, I'll probably go to 7mm.

The aluminum spacers on there now are just a temporary "test it out" alternative until I make a final decision.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

There’s been many reporting upwards of 360 in conserve mode when hyper-miling and drafting as much as possible. Also weather plays a big impact to this. Mid 70s will get you the best efficiency.

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT

I have done a lot of off-roading in several very built wranglers and can say without much of any doubt that with four motors and as much weight as this truck has, the street 21s will be plenty for about 99.9% of off-roading these trucks will ever see. The truck has the ICE equivalent of three lockers. Front, rear, and center. Lockers unlock god mode for wheeling. This truck is too long for any real rock crawling so the streets are fine for anything it will ever see. The drivetrain makes up for the lack of grip in the street tires.

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

This is why I ended up switching from 20 inch all-terrain to the 21 inch wheels to take delivery sooner. I live in New Hampshire and mostly intend on taking the truck on forest roads in the White mountains and don’t expect to do heavy duty rock crawling. Not coming from an off-road background, my only concern was the durability of an all season tire versus an all-terrain tire,I’ve seen a lot of videos on YouTube of people getting flats on the trail and thought that may be an all-terrain tire would cut down on that a bit. Do you have any experience with the durability and puncture resistance of street tires versus all-terrain tires? I did Sandwich Notch Road a few weeks ago and aired down for a few side road excursions with a lot of gravel and ruts, realistically that’s about the most serious level of off roading I will do for a while and the 21s did just fine.

I have done a lot of off-roading in several very built wranglers and can say without much of any doubt that with four motors and as much weight as this truck has, the street 21s will be plenty for about 99.9% of off-roading these trucks will ever see. The truck has the ICE equivalent of three lockers. Front, rear, and center. Lockers unlock god mode for wheeling. This truck is too long for any real rock crawling so the streets are fine for anything it will ever see. The drivetrain makes up for the lack of grip in the street tires.

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
This is why I ended up switching from 20 inch all-terrain to the 21 inch wheels to take delivery sooner. I live in New Hampshire and mostly intend on taking the truck on forest roads in the White mountains and don’t expect to do heavy duty rock crawling. Not coming from an off-road background, my only concern was the durability of an all season tire versus an all-terrain tire,I’ve seen a lot of videos on YouTube of people getting flats on the trail and thought that may be an all-terrain tire would cut down on that a bit. Do you have any experience with the durability and puncture resistance of street tires versus all-terrain tires? I did Sandwich Notch Road a few weeks ago and aired down for a few side road excursions with a lot of gravel and ruts, realistically that’s about the most serious level of off roading I will do for a while and the 21s did just fine.
I don't know anything about the Pirellis, nobody who ever thought about offroading bought Pirellis to do it. But, I'm sure durability is worse on the street tire no doubt, but its really just worse on the sidewalls. Watch for jagged rocks stabbing at the sidewall. The good news is with this truck as heavy as it is the load range has to be very high, making for a very thick sidewall on any tire.

Personally I don't bother airing down unless I'm rock crawling. No need on terrain where you'll keep all four wheels on the ground.

Edit: Let me throw this in here, this is only in the context of this thread that I am suggesting the streets. For me, having owned several ev's, I try and eek every hundredth of a mile per kw I can without having to adjust my driving style. If range is not an issue for you, go with the AT. They look better for sure and will be more durable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
I put a couple hundred miles on the highway with the AC blasting. 21s with aeros and am getting around 2.6 - 2.7 at 70-75mph, 2.4-2.5 at 80mph.

All told with city driving I sit around 2.5 - 2.6 mi/kWh so far.

The worst I have seen so far was driving 85+ and I was around 2.2 - 2.3 mi/kWh. It's still 90 where I live fwiw.

I drive only in conserve mode.

Last edited:

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I put a couple hundred miles on the highway with the AC blasting. 21s with aeros and am getting around 2.6 - 2.7 at 70-75mph, 2.4-2.5 at 80mph.

All told with city driving I sit around 2.5 - 2.6 mi/kWh so far.

The worst I have seen so far was driving 85+ and I was around 2.2 - 2.3 mi/kWh. It's still 90 where I live fwiw.

I drive only in conserve mode.
Did a test on 22's - short only about 20 miles of highway. 54F, heavy rain. Got 2.4-2.5mi/kWh around 70-75mph in conserve. Mixed driving it was 2.6-2.8mi/kWh in conserve on 22s.

I drive mainly in all purpose mode and have an average of 2.18mi/kWh right now on 22s.

My roads are a mix of asphalt highways, pot hole riddled local roads, and a good amount of 15mph unpaved washboard gravel roads. I put it into Rally mode for those. The gravel is relatively small, biggest one would be the size of a golf ball.

The 22s have gone through those with easy, soaking up the uneven terrain, the puddle filled holes, etc.

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

This is pretty much what I had gathered and what I was thinking, but I don’t have your off-roading experience so I appreciate your insight. I have the 21s now and they’re fine, my future decision will be to add a set of 20s with AT tires or just wait for the market to eventually have more options in the 21” size. Kyle from Out of Spec mentioned that he’s working with Nokian to have them offer a winter and an AT option to fit the Rivian 21” wheels. If I’m getting by just fine with the 21” pirellis in the meantime I’ll probably just wait a few years and see if there are options like that on the market.

I don't know anything about the Pirellis, nobody who ever thought about offroading bought Pirellis to do it. But, I'm sure durability is worse on the street tire no doubt, but its really just worse on the sidewalls. Watch for jagged rocks stabbing at the sidewall. The good news is with this truck as heavy as it is the load range has to be very high, making for a very thick sidewall on any tire.

Personally I don't bother airing down unless I'm rock crawling. No need on terrain where you'll keep all four wheels on the ground.

Edit: Let me throw this in here, this is only in the context of this thread that I am suggesting the streets. For me, having owned several ev's, I try and eek every hundredth of a mile per kw I can without having to adjust my driving style. If range is not an issue for you, go with the AT. They look better for sure and will be more durable.

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
This is pretty much what I had gathered and what I was thinking, but I don’t have your off-roading experience so I appreciate your insight. I have the 21s now and they’re fine, my future decision will be to add a set of 20s with AT tires or just wait for the market to eventually have more options in the 21” size. Kyle from Out of Spec mentioned that he’s working with Nokian to have them offer a winter and an AT option to fit the Rivian 21” wheels. If I’m getting by just fine with the 21” pirellis in the meantime I’ll probably just wait a few years and see if there are options like that on the market.
For a truck like this the BFG KO2 is the best tire ever made if you ask me. Excellent road manners and excellent off road or snow traction / durability. I messed around a little bit on tire rack and found wheels that will fit the rivian with some 33-34" KO2's but obviously haven't tried them in person yet.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Shouldn't EPA use conserve mode in their testing? If I can always be in conserve mode with zero adverse effects, that should be the mode they choose since the focus of their testing is about range.

A 340-370mi range on the window sticker would be a good look.
Sponsored